PDA

View Full Version : Can I just kill this guy?

GordonW
03-21-2007, 06:51 AM
... and take his speakers?

OK. Had a guy come in the shop, asking if I could fix up his L250s. I said "Sure!".

He then mentioned how he had come across them... a yard/garage sale... the person mentioned they had these big speakers in the attic, and he could buy them if he could move them...

$100.00 for the PAIR.

Sure, they need dustcaps replaced and possibly tweeter diaphragms... but good grief... $100.00?!?! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Haven't seen them yet (he's bringing them for repair, and to inadvertently taunt me)... but they should be showing up within the next few days.

He asked if they were worth repairing... my answer was "you could spend $800.00 repairing those, and STILL have a good deal!"...

Regards,
Gordon.

scott fitlin
03-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Some guys have all the luck.

:)

Titanium Dome
03-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Tempting, but you'll just have to suck it up and be the trustworthy professional you are. Besides, you wouldn't be allowed to take them to prison.

briang
03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
No need to kill.

Take the opportunity to explain the history and value of the speakers. :)

Who knows, we might have another JBL fan created from this event who will preserve and enjoy the vintage stuff. :blink:

If not, we can all lowball him if he wants to flip. :cheers:

pmakres1
03-21-2007, 07:38 AM
$100.00?? Good Grief! :blink:

Andyoz
03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I would have haggled the price down to $75..

....the person mentioned they had these big speakers in the attic

Anyway, how do you get a pair of L250's lifted into the attic in the first place!!!! :D

RKLee
03-21-2007, 06:02 PM
GordonW (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=161): Be kind to the person. Just be thankful the buyer had enough foresight to actually get the speakers and bring it in for repair. It is possible the original owner has no idea what they are worth and probably doesn't care; and literally sold it for a song. I've seen many old things that are very desireble today that belonged to older people who had died, and the family didn't really know what they had and they just wanted to get rid of it and get it out of the way.

To be truthful, I had no idea what a JBL L250 is, and had to do a quick Google for a "look see." There is a seller selling a L250 brochure that is currently bidded at $3.75! Oh my. 15 years ago, I was cleaning out my junk at my parent's house, and I came across multiple and duplicate copies of old JBL, Altec, Infinity etc brochures, and prompty discarded them. Only if I had known. I had no idea that people are willing to pay actual money for giveaway brochures. Oh well, live a little, learn a little.

oldschool
03-21-2007, 11:07 PM
then do as you please.

Gary L
03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Thank our lucky stars for the mindset of folks who simply don't have a clue about our passions.
To most people not knowledgable, when a speaker or piece of audio gear no longer works or sounds good, they are not worth the trouble of repairing. I avoid going to the local landfill because they have a policy, once it is in it aint comming out, I have seen some gorgeous stuff including nice speakers and amps/receivers heading for burrial.

Be happy these were rescued for a song so they will sing many more.
Let me know if you need an allibi for the day when they arrive.:D

Gary

avguytx
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Man, I sold that series of JBL's years ago. I love that speaker! Matter of fact, the store owner still has them and had needed to get the woofers refoamed but ended up getting one of the last pairs of complete woofers for next to nothing about 5 years ago. Or something like that. I bet I couldn't talk him out of them for $100.

RKLee
03-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Gary L: Much of these "old" equipment harks from the days when equpiment was built to last, and was made by people who has a passion to do their best, and not outsourced to a 3rd world country.

From gamalot's March 02, 2007 09:28 PM post:
Hi new guy on this board (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/3729/t/2755)

I am at a point now where the wife is worried about that Yard sale when I go because she makes a point of not knowing what any of this stuff is worth and the prices just keep going up.

scott fitlin
03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyway, how do you get a pair of L250's lifted into the attic in the first place!!!! :DYou get your KIDS to do it!

:D

Andyoz
03-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Gary L: Much of these "old" equipment harks from the days when equpiment was built to last, and was made by people who has a passion to do their best, and not outsourced to a 3rd world country.

That is so, so true.

The JBL gear from that era just has a "feel" about it that is now lost. You have to go to the smaller cottage industry type manufactuers to get that sort of handfinish feel and that now costs mega bucks.