PDA

View Full Version : 4430 blues

NancyJ
03-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Folks I recently picked up a pair 4430's , problems! I think I may have a bad diaphram in one driver. to remove it for inspection how do i get it out?
is it a allen bolt screw or riveted ? or do we acess it otherways?
I did call jbl for costs and ouch if its the olders version is costly 2421a 244.00 couple this with a seller that did not disclose other issues, wow people say its perfect and then this crap.

thanks in advance for the info.

Chas
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Congratulations on a fine purchase (other than the issue at hand). Rest the cabinet on its back and remove the screws (allen, I think) and the horn will pull out. I recommend you remove the woofer as well, since it will give you a visual inside as you work.

There is a chance the diaphragm is okay, as the rear switches can corrode over time or capacitors may be faulty, so it's best not to jump to conclusions too soon...:)

Once you have removed the screws securing the horn flange, GENTLY pull straight up. The gasket is fairly sticky on mine - exercise extreme caution during this exercise. You may need to use a putty knife or some such to pry the flange away from the gasket.

NancyJ
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Congratulations on a fine purchase (other than the issue at hand). Rest the cabinet on its back and remove the screws (allen, I think) and the horn will pull out. I recommend you remove the woofer as well, since it will give you a visual inside as you work.

There is a chance the diaphragm is okay, as the rear switches can corrode over time or capacitors may be faulty, so it's best not to jump to conclusions too soon...:)

Once you have removed the screws securing the horn flange, GENTLY pull straight up. The gasket is fairly sticky on mine - exercise extreme caution during this exercise. You may need to use a putty knife or some such to pry the flange away from the gasket.

thanks got it out.. well its the cheaper newer version. crossover are suspect. here we go refurbing another pair of jbl's cabinet man will most likely want 500-600 to redo them and new crossovers ect.. ouch again.
Plus is I love JBLs enough to make it worth it all.
will check the dcr and sweep them see what i have here.

Chas
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Good to hear you got it out. Now, get some Caig Deoxit and some of their pro gold on the switch contacts and hey, while you're at it, I would definitely recommend you change out the capacitors in the high pass portion of the crossovers.....
Good luck,
Charles.

NancyJ
03-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Good to hear you got it out. Now, get some Caig Deoxit and some of their pro gold on the switch contacts and hey, while you're at it, I would definitely recommend you change out the capacitors in the high pass portion of the crossovers.....
Good luck,
Charles.

Charles, I was just looking at the crossover schematic , LOL.. I have a big stash of pio caps which are .01 uf.. from russia with love. I need a bank account just for my JBL habit. jezz i'd like some lower dcr inductors too.. ect.thank GOD the woofers are cherry. these came via a man that works for cbs. I suspect someone used a crappy amp for a bit to drive them. these when i get done will be bi amped correctly.

Chas
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I suspect someone used a rappy amp for a bit to drive them. these when i get done will be bi amped correctly.

So I guess the 'phragm is cooked, huh? :( Bi-amping would be cool, I've gotta try that over here too, some day.