PDA

View Full Version : Metregon info needed

roads31
03-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi All,
I recently acquired an Ebony finished Metregon, where I am somewhat confused is that the badge on the back of the enclosure is a C58 Delphi serial number 78144. I have most of the original documents along with the envelope with model number D45 572 EB or E13, on the envelope it has all of the serial numbers for the drivers and crossovers. The drivers are LE15's, LE85's and LX5 crossovers. Any serial number information would be greatly appreciated.
Ufortunately the ebony finish is cracked and tired, good news is the wood beneath it appears to be beautiful.
Thanks,
Gary

Hofmannhp
03-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi All,
I recently acquired an Ebony finished Metregon, where I am somewhat confused is that the badge on the back of the enclosure is a C58 Delphi serial number 78144. I have most of the original documents along with the envelope with model number D45 572 EB or E13, on the envelope it has all of the serial numbers for the drivers and crossovers. The drivers are LE15's, LE85's and LX5 crossovers. Any serial number information would be greatly appreciated.
Ufortunately the ebony finish is cracked and tired, good news is the wood beneath it appears to be beautiful.
Thanks,
Gary

Hi Garry,

this is a work for the LHF registry.

can you post a pic from the envelope with the serial numbers?
I will try to help you.
Is it right that the cabinet is numbered 572 ?

HP

Hofmannhp
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
....Is it right that the cabinet is numbered 572 ?
HP

Found it.....it must be C45 S72. This means that the following parts are in:
LE15A, LE85, LX5, H5040.

Very important to know the cabinet serial number

HP

roads31
03-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi and thanks HP,
Any idea about the C58 badge?
Gary

roads31
03-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Crossover ideas?? I imagine some of you have dealt with the various crossovers that JBL used in these early speakers. I recently rebuilt the crossovers in my Harkness cabs when I noticed at low volumes they were way off and improved with higher volume, when I removed the old electrolytics they measured at least 3 times their rated capacitance. What would/does the purist do? I am going to restore the Metregon and know that eventually the crossovers will have to be dealt with.
Thanks,
Gary

Hofmannhp
03-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi and thanks HP,
Any idea about the C58 badge?
Gary

Hi again Gary,

thanks for the numbers you sent me.
The numbers of all drivers show in a confirmed way, that this Metregon is from 1965.....definetly

here are the available versions from this times (the red is yours):

Metregon 201
Metregon 202
Metregon 203
Metregon 214
Metregon 223
Metregon 230
Metregon 231
Metregon S52
Metregon S72
Metregon S82
Metregon S92

hope this helps

the badge from the C58....??, maybe that the preowner lost the original badge and wanted to show a badge whatever it was from.

HP

JBL Dog
03-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi All,
Thanks,
Gary

Gary:

Do all the drivers and crossovers have a blue finish? Also, is your "LE15" truly an "LE15" and not an "LE15A"? If so, you're looking at a production time in the very early 1960's. One of my Metregons has the exact same system. A side note: My S72 Metregon did not have a plastic badge with the model/serial number on it (never did as far as I can tell). I'm sure at one time it had a sticker similar to those you see on early Paragons.

An Ebony Metregon is extremely rare. Yours is only the second I've ever heard of. The other sold on eBay about four years ago for $4200. It was insanely rare! I'm still having flashbacks of not getting my hands on this one!
It had a 282 system (150-4C's, "bubble-back" 375's, H5041 and N400 crossover). It is probably the only Metregon JBL ever made with that component configuration with an Ebony finish.

(For those of you that have heard this story before, it still haunts me)

:(

This 282 Ebony rarity was originally listed on eBay with a buy-it-now for $2999.00. I missed it by less than 3 minutes! The buyer was from Japan (nice guy, I've sold to him several times). However, the seller backed out of the deal and relisted. He wasn't allowing International bidders. This was before the days you could block non-US bids. I'm sure the seller was pelted with "if the buyer backs out :blah: :blah: ". Of course, I was one of the :blah: :blah:

:D

He relisted and it sold for $4200. I couldn't afford more than $3500 at the time.

The one that got away........

roads31
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi Dog,
Yes, all of the drivers and the crossover bodies are blue. I don't recall if they were LE15'S or A"s, I'll be dismantling them for their resurrection so I'll find out then. I do wish the ebony was anywhere close to being presentable but as I said there appears to be an amazing finish beneath. When I got it there were already some big flakes coming off. I almost passed this deal by then I realized I probably wouldn't get another chance. So, do you have an opinion about rebuilding JBL crossovers?

Hofmannhp
03-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi Gary,

here's the pic of the envelope you sent me.
It says C45 S72 EB (ebony)
HP

roads31
03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I first visited, I thought I would return to say thanks for the info and advice and share a couple of before and after pics. I really struggled with stripping the original ebony finish but it was in such poor shape. My system is now complete with a pair of freshly restored MC40's and a Conrad Johnson PV2A.
I tried a few other amps and the one that may replace the Macs might be a Heathkit AA-121 that I am in the middle of restoring but sounded quite remarkable before I started.

Thanks and happy listening

JBL Dog
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I first visited, I thought I would return to say thanks for the info and advice and share a couple of before and after pics. I really struggled with stripping the original ebony finish but it was in such poor shape. My system is now complete with a pair of freshly restored MC40's and a Conrad Johnson PV2A.
I tried a few other amps and the one that may replace the Macs might be a Heathkit AA-121 that I am in the middle of restoring but sounded quite remarkable before I started.

Thanks and happy listening

WOW!! Outstanding!!

:applaud:

Steve Schell
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Roads31, you did a spectacular job on the restoration... wow! It strikes me as odd that JBL would use a reflector with carefully bookmatched veneer on an ebony piece. Could the black paint have been a later addition?

As to the conversation earlier in the thread about the apparent mislabelling, I have a story. I have a late 1940s D-130 with a label that identifies it as a D-208. Don and I had dinner with John Edwards, Jim Lansing's employee from those days, a few years ago. I asked John, who was JBL's office person back then, about the driver. He told me that he probably typed the label, but added that he wasn't the one who put it on the driver.

Harvey Gerst
04-02-2009, 02:24 PM
If there was an order for a "black" anything, we'd grab the worst normal grain finish and paint it black. If we didn't have a worst of anything, we'd grab what ever we had lots of and paint it black. We had lots of walnut enclosures.

As fat as putting labels on speakers, George Martin (Jim Lansing's brother) did that.

Fred Sanford
04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
WOW!! Outstanding!!

:applaud:

+1, and thanks for making the effort to post a pic!

je

Maron Horonzakz
04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Another black Metragon (mine) in St Louis was sold to a night club in Gas Light Square,,, Was repainted Purple. (the Barbarion Cretins)

roads31
04-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for all the input, and the info from the beginning. Cool story from HiFi Harvey, bet you've got hours worth of stories, love to hear 'em over a beer or two sometime. I believe the finish to be from the factory due to the "EB" on the build sheet, which I also learned hear. Thanks to everyone and keep the legacy alive!!
I may be setting up an Altec mono system, any suggestions for an amp that would mate well with it, its an 820c
Thanks

iain42
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Another black Metragon (mine) in St Louis was sold to a night club in Gas Light Square,,, Was repainted Purple. (the Barbarion Cretins)

Maron,
That is just terrible..... Lets find them and paint them purple.

Maron Horonzakz
04-08-2009, 06:54 AM
The owner of the night club,,That painted the Metragon is dead now,,and probably gone to speaker Hell.

hjames
04-08-2009, 07:11 AM
The owner of the night club that painted the Metragon is dead now,,and probably gone to speaker Hell. Well, at least its not a Purple Paragon ... hey, what a name for a nightclub!

Maron Horonzakz
04-08-2009, 07:26 AM
I,ll drink to that,,, Not to get off topic,,There is a pair of BOZAK Concert Grands in St Louis painted with flowers all over the cabinets... The hippies were buisey back in the 70s. That is owned by the engineer of FM radio KFUO... Now get this,, His wife didnt like the Paragon he had,,to modern looking,,She tolerates the BOZAKS,, Both from the 70s hippie era.. Go figure