PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance to identify speakers

Black Dragon
03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I got these speakers from my father. All I know is that he has had them for a very long time. To my knowledge, he has always had them since I was a little kid. That puts them somewhere in the 1960's era.

Does anyone know which speakers these are? I looked through all the catalogs on the site here and didn't see a match.

Thanks
Jim

Zilch
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I believe those to be Barzilay cabinets, not a JBL product, but with a (mostly) JBL load.

Storm
03-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Those look like 075 bullet tweeters....

They look like Barzilay cabinets and definately assembled at home, not factory. That is why you found no direct match.

Regardless, if you were to part them out - the compents are worth some money...check out eBay for current pricing.

Otherwise, hook them up...sit back...and ENJOY!

;)

-Storm.

speakerdave
03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
The midrange is cheese--as someone must have realized before it was disconnected.

Edit: In the fifties, and I think into the sixties, JBL literature often included suggestions about using building blocks to put complex speaker system together over time. Possibly that is why so many JBL cabinets from that era show up with the 075 tweeter or a midrange horn and compression driver paired with one of JBL's extended range drivers--the D131 or D130. Ideally those systems adding a midrange driver and horn would have used the 130A or B woofer instead. The 030 system used the 075 with the D130 from the beginning. But in the building block plan one could start with an extended range driver and then sometime later add support for the higher frequencies with a crossover and additional driver(s). This was in the days before widespread use of credit cards. Nowadays a person will slam the whole thing on plastic right away.

The D130, and expecially the D131 are much less than ideal as woofers, although both do have a very lively, dynamic sound that many people like even though the coloration is obvious and the frequency extremes have been sacrificed, especially the low end. Their response curves are not flat; they emphasize the midrange. Adding drivers for the higher frequencies helps there, but the bass remains deficient, especially in those high-WAF smaller cabinets.

David

Black Dragon
03-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the good information.

Jim

cvengr
03-19-2007, 06:24 AM
I recently picked up a pair very similar to the ones shown in your oic, except they stand about a foot taller with a flourescent light fixture mounted inside the top portion of the cabinet pointed upwards with smoked white glass on top.

They contained the grill very similar to those shown in your photo with an 18" woofer in each and a horn with two tweeters mounted inside the horn on the right and left sides of the horn.

The cabinets are built from older particle board and all sealed, but very well built and sealed, such that I'm unable to open them up.

I'll try to post a couple of pics when possible, but must admit from the bottom up they looked almost identical to the ones shown here.

Thanks