PDA

View Full Version : Woofer Mounting ???

Gary L
03-16-2007, 09:23 AM
This is something that I have wondered about for a long time but never thought to ask.

Woofers, large 15-16 inch ones have eight screw holes for mounting them.
Most companies use only four of the holes to affix them to the box.

Is there a reason for this other then cost and time savings?

Is it good or not good to use all eight holes and solidly mount the woofer?

Robh3606
03-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Could just be convenience. I must admit I use all the holes available when I mount a driver. If you look at the quick change mounting/clamp kits used in the monitors they used 4 on a the 15 and 8 on an 18. I believe these are a larger thread than the frame can accommodate but don't know for sure.

Rob:)

edgewound
03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I believe these are a larger thread than the frame can accommodate but don't know for sure.

Rob:)

Yep....1/4-20 threads for the clamps.

10-32 threads for the driver mounting holes.

What drives me nuts is the guys that use 8 screws on an E120. The gasket is designed to accomodate 4 screws. It unnecessarily ruins the nice cork gasket.

Gary L
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Rob. I do understand your photos but am refering more to mounting the Altec 416 woofers that have holes through the mounting flange rather then to use the JBL style clamps.

I must admit my mentality tells me if from the factory 4 bolts are good then from my point of view 8 would be twice as good.

The only logic and can assign to companies useing just 4 screws is to save time and expense but I will be interested to hear if there is some other reasoning or technical info behind this fairly common practice.

Gary

edgewound
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I must admit my mentality tells me if from the factory 4 bolts are good then from my point of view 8 would be twice as good.

The only logic and can assign to companies useing just 4 screws is to save time and expense but I will be interested to hear if there is some other reasoning or technical info behind this fairly common practice.

Gary

Depends on your usage. If the speaker system is stationary...like at home...the driver just needs to be snug against the baffle. Particle board and MDF are stronger when fewer hole are drilled into it.

If it's a beater on the road, and constantly pummelled by drunken road rats....yeah 8 screws thru plywood might be better.

It takes alot of force to break those screws. Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

Gary L
03-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks Edgewound, Unfilled holes in the baskets just don't look right to me so I always use them all if I have a full stock of the propper screws.
I suppose as long as this is not weakening or otherwise changing the grand design I will continue to do so until I hear differently.

Gary