PDA

View Full Version : Potential VOTT purchase - need advice

seven
03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I am a JBL guy looking to expand to something different. I have a line of a pair of Altec VOTT speakers and am pretty green when it comes to these speakers. They look pretty big, what are the dimensions of these, roughly? Is there a link available with specs/info on these? Would they be suitable for a living room approx. 13' x 23'? If I do persue these, what should I be asking the seller? What should I be on the lookout for? From what y'all can see in the picture, does everything look legit? Anything look out of place? Hoping to hear from someone who's in the know.

Finally, what is a ballpark price for these?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v357/fazeka/VOTT/

Thanks,
Chris

jim campbell
03-13-2007, 06:59 PM
tom brennan just sold a pair of those to a member from the volunteer state.he would probably be a good guy to ask

Zilch
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104097

Need tweeters OR compensation (maybe).

seven
03-13-2007, 07:18 PM
So I take it these are A7s? If so, those are pretty good, right?

Zilch
03-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, don't conclude that from anything I posted. My intent was to show how they might appear in living space, and that, implicitly, you're going to have to modify them for listening there....

Tom Brennan
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Chris---Those appear to be A7-500s but one can only be sure once the drivers and crossover are identified. Altec made quite a variety of speakers using that cabinet and some sacrificed fidelity for power handling and volume. Much depends and value varies.

The most generally desired would have 500hz crossovers, model 416 woofers and model 802 or 902 compression drivers.

IMO such a speaker is almost unequaled between 100 and 10,000hz but is shy above and below those frequencies. They still sound very good but be aware that the lows are somewhat lacking (though not so shy as to sound shrill) and the highs are soft. The range that is reproduced is natural sounding and VERY dynamic, very clean and clear.

When VOTs are augmented with powerful, dynamic subs and either tweeters or compensation networks to extend the highs then nothing I've heard sounds better. And I've heard some pretty good horns---Edgar Titans and big CARs for instance.

Of course my opinion though well informed is just that, an opinion.

For values your best shot is to make sure of the nature of these VOTs and check old auction results on Ebay.

racencase
03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Seven, the A7's IMHO would be overkill in a room of that size. The real beauty of those can only be appreciated from 30' away, which gives the unit design space to really function properly. This again is what MY ears hear and everyone wants something different. The real quality of the A7's only starts showing as you increase volume. My living room is 18'x24' with 16' ceilings and they are way too much for that room. This again tho, is only my opinion. I use mine with a set of JBL Caboret 4699b's with seperate tweeter banks (8 per cab.) sitting on top for live performances and the word that comes to mind is "Sweet". I've also built cabinets for the 511b horns. Here's the 828 working print. http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures11.jpg

louped garouv
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
IMO think they can perform well in a smaller room....

and don't be upset if they have 515Bs instead of the 416 woofers....

;)

are they set up currently? can you arrange a "demo"?

seven
03-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, the seller has yet to call me. He knows I am interested. We'll see what happens. Thanks everyone for their thoughts. :)

Storm
03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
What is the asking price?

Did you find them off craigslist or ebay?

Got a link?

Thanks!

-Storm.

spwal
03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
those are the ones in hawaii.

good luck finding room for those in your tiny hawaiin house lol

aloha

toddalin
03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
How about a pair of semi-VOTT pair (with 515 8Gs and Altec drivers) for under $450 each?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/294147005.html

Zilch
03-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Great. He quotes the specs of the new A7.... :p

seven
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
good luck finding room for those in your tiny hawaiin house lol

Remember that saying? "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Storm
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Remember that saying? "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

....don't say anything nice at all.

Yeah, I know that saying.

However, he was typing it and thinking it, but he never "said" it.

;)

-Storm.

moldyoldy
03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
....don't say anything nice at all.

Yeah, I know that saying.

However, he was typing it and thinking it, but he never "said" it.

;)

-Storm.

Finally, we know the cause of it all...