PDA

View Full Version : John Eargle On Everest CD

kingjames
03-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I started this new thread as I believe more people will read a new thread than an old one. Here is an update. I have written Mr.Widget about a conversation that I had with Mike Christian the Manager of Customer support at JBL.

My original idea of putting the Sessions LP's on cd has hit some legal snafu. Jbl doesn't believe they have the rights to the music on those lp's and I would have to contact each individual artist on those lp's and get their permission. This as we all know would never happen.

I also told him that we really prefer the Eargle cd demonstrating the Everset system. I also mentioned that I thought it would be a good way of adding funds to the forum. In his genorosity he has set aside 30 copies of this cd for our member's.

Mr.Widget was not sure of the idea of incentives for contributing and asked that I confer with Don McRitchie on the matter. I have sent Don a pm already and have not heard back.

In the mean time I thought I would bring it to you guys and gals on some idea's on how we could offer this to the members. Best DIY of the month, most posts,raffle,whatever.Remember there is only 30 copies available for our members.

We have to come up with an idea somehow that will meet the criteria of the administrator's here.

So post your idea's so that the administrator's and Don can get a feel on what you guy's think.

Mike Christian is sending me his personal copy of the cd for my effort in this matter.He also stated he's always willing to help the folks at LHS.

It might also be a good idea to personally email him and thank him for his genorosity. He can be reached at [email protected]

I think this is very generous of JBL and reaffirm's my decison to own the best. Jim

Note.. I informed Don McRitchie of this thread to see the idea's that we can come up with. Please keep to the subject line here and state idea's only where we can distribute these cd's to the members here,fairly.Thanks! Jim

grumpy
03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Thinking JBL could do this themselves as a promotion, much like Maxell did with their
posters (that probably did more for vintage JBL than for cassette tapes)... :D

-grumpy

(missed your add-on caveat) ... well, this is a way to distribute to members...

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Mr.Widget was not sure of the idea of incentives for contributing and asked that I confer with Don McRitchie on the matter. I have sent Don a pm already and have not heard back.

In the mean time I thought I would bring it to you guys and gals on some idea's on how we could offer this to the members. Best DIY of the month, most posts,raffle,whatever.Remember there is only 30 copies available for our members.

We have to come up with an idea somehow that will meet the criteria of the administrator's here.

So post your idea's so that the administrator's and Don can get a feel on what you guy's think.

Jim, thanks for spearheading this. Also thanks to JBL/Harman (and Mike) for its role.

The best DIY, most posts, etc. are either too complicated or too subjective to be useful. However, a drawing based on a minimum contribution would seem fair to me.

For example, for every $10 contributed to the site you get one chance. If you donate $50 you get five chances, $100 gives you ten chances, etc. However, you can only win once, so regardless of how much you donate, you could only win one CD. Another limitation I'd like to see is a minimum membership requirement, like been a member for at least 30 days or have a minimum of 25 meaningful posts--no post stuffing like "This is post #22 to qualify for the drawing" etc.

So to recap:
One chance for every $10 donated.
One CD maximum per member.
One minimum membership requirement (30 days or at least 25 posts).

louped garouv
03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I was thinking most posts would be a bad criterion as well...

due to the aforementioned "fluffy" postings that may appear....

maybe they should just be "cobwebbed" and prsesented randomly at Moderators' discretion....

IE a mod thinks that a post (or whatever criterion he/she decided) warrants special recognition,
said mod conferrs with the other Mods,
and they collectively vote yay or nay on the proposed recognition....

johnaec
03-09-2007, 10:09 AM
One minimum membership requirement (30 days or at least 25 posts).This sounds like the best idea to me!

John

kingjames
03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I like TI's idea. I have no say so and leave it to the powers to be to decide and whatever they choose is fine with me. I thought donations to give the forum some extra cash flow maybe for some DIY projects.

There are quite a few members here that really help other members with project's and maybe they should be considered. just a thought,trying to rattle my brain for more idea's.

How ironic,just got that JBL Sessions LP's that I won on Ebay, the mailman just dropped it off to me while I was typing this. :blink:

We have to think of something so we don't lose this generous offer from JBL. Personally I can't wait to hear the 1812 Overture on my 250's and XPL140's.:applaud:

hjames
03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm with TI - except for a slight twist.
To sweeten the pot, give an extra chance for multiples of $50 ...

For every $10 donated, 1 chance
For every $50 donated, 6 chances.
For every $100 donated, 12 chances.

At least thats what a local church (not mine) does for their raffles ...

And again, only one prize per person.

However, a drawing based on a minimum contribution would seem fair to me.

So to recap:

porschedpm
03-09-2007, 10:40 AM
So to recap:

Good idea. The LH Forum used this approach when it raffled off the L100's. Although your proposal for minimum membership requirement is new.

I personally like the idea of adding a new tier of membership.....call it a "chartered membership" and that level would be for those members that contribute at least, say $25, per year. So instead of a minimum membership duration requirement you could just say raffle tickets available only to charter members and filter out the casual lookee-loos that way.

kingjames
03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Maybe we should put a time frame in somewhere as well.I think this is an oppurtunity for the forum to up their cash flow and should take advantage of it by offering these for contributions.:D

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I guess we wait for the powers-that-be to let us know if they want to do this and if they'd like the extra cash flow.

Again, Jim thank you for taking the initiative on this. It's a great opportunity for the site and its members. And it's very cool of JBL/Harman.:yes:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Perhaps we should consider the fact that some people (yes, me for one) have already made a couple of donations this year?

Ken

kingjames
03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Perhaps we should consider the fact that some people (yes, me for one) have already made a couple of donations this year?

Ken
Maybe for past contributors you can be given chance's per TI-Dome's suggestions.I guess it all depends on how much work is necessary to track those past donations. It should probably be considered anyhow,I don't know!:)

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM

Ken

Well, we had a spate of donations when investbiker challenged us in early January. (He also promised me beer.:cheers:)

I wouldn't be opposed to going back to Jan 1, but I'd recommend only one chance no matter how much you donated at the time. After all, we made the donations without stipulation, so my $25 should only get one chance (and I'd consider myself fortunate).

I'll still donate again as part of the CD fundraiser project, but I agree with you, Ken, that some folks might have recently donated and be in an awkward position. Plus, I wouldn't mind having an extra chance. ;)

Ken Pachkowsky
03-09-2007, 03:05 PM
we made the donations without stipulation
;)

I can't argue that.

Ken

boputnam
03-09-2007, 03:19 PM
For example, for every $10 contributed to the site you get one chance. If you donate $50 you get five chances, $100 gives you ten chances, etc. However, you can only win once, so regardless of how much you donate, you could only win one CD. Another limitation I'd like to see is a minimum membership requirement, like been a member for at least 30 days or have a minimum of 25 meaningful posts--no post stuffing like "This is post #22 to qualify for the drawing" etc.Er, so who is going to administer this "drawing"...? And where are the funds going to accumulate? If it's here under the LH Treasury, I gotta have a better roadmap. Someone nominate someone soon...

So to recap...Someone nominate someone soon...

Ken Pachkowsky
03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Someone nominate someone soon...

I nominate TI-Dome

Sorry Bud;)

Ken

kingjames
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I also would nominate TI-Dome and for his trouble should be awarded a Free CD.All money is for LHS treasury.:thmbsup:

Just think Ti-Dome with this cd you will really appreciate those Titanium Domes.:yes:

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
The funds should go straight to the LH treasurer as normal donations. Anyone who gave already this year ($10 or more) gets one chance. Any donations after the official OK is given will get one chance per $10 donated, plus maybe a bonus as Heather indicated.

Concurrent with the official okey-dokey announcement is the ending date announcement (30 days?), then at the end of the time the LH treasurer sends the drawing coordinator a simple spreadsheet showing who donated what on what date from Jan 1 to the end of the fundraiser. The drawing coordinator figures the number of chances per entrant, assigns a ticket number for each chance (using pre-printed tickets) and draws the necessary number of tickets to produce 30 unique winners. Winners are notified and CDs shipped out, paid from LH proceeds.

I run a nonprofit. We do this shit all the time. I can do it in my sleep. I'll volunteer to do everything except receive the money and produce the actual CDs. I'll send Bo one bill for the postage after all is said and done. I'll donate the packaging if necessary. I'll invite Steve Schell or somebody else close by to supervise the draw. BUT, if I do all this, I want a CD. I'll still make a donation, too.

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I nominate TI-Dome

Sorry Bud;)

Ken

I also would nominate TI-Dome and for his trouble should be awarded a Free CD.All money is for LHS treasury.:thmbsup:

Just think Ti-Dome with this cd you will really appreciate those Titanium Domes.:yes:

Geez, I hope your tickets don't get lost. :wasnt-me:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
1 chance for every 10$ donation since January 1?

Ken

kingjames
03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
TI-Dome couldn't have said it better myself.;) . I will call mike again on Monday to get the cd's shipped maybe to you or something. Let me know about an address, or I can call him and give him your name and email address and you can deal with him direct after I let him know what we decided on.Let me know! Jim

boputnam
03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
...at the end of the time the LH treasurer sends the drawing coordinator a simple spreadsheet Way outside of my job description...

...I run a nonprofit. We do this shit all the time. Interesting syntax...

...I can do it in my sleep. I'll volunteer to do everything ...Bingo. That there is what I was looking for! ;)

boputnam
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
...a simple spreadsheet showing who donated what on what date from Jan 1 to the end of the fundraiser. There are some problems with this:

Many who donate prefer to be kept anonymous - they are known only to me and Don.
There are some who donated since Jan 1 and may not have an interest in this? Using that start-date, you are diluting the chances of those donating FOR this "cause".
I suggest you set a START and END date - all donations in that period will be specific and tagged for this "cause".
I hear nothing but "Aye!!"s from everyone in my earshot...

kingjames
03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Bingo. That there is what I was looking for! ;)[/quote]
Does this mean we have the ok,BO?

hjames
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I contributed quietly in early Feb - not for the beer run thing, just a general thank you for the resources and the help I've gotten here, but I'd match it with another if I'd get chances/credit for both.

I vote for all contribs since Jan 1 counting towards this.

boputnam
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Does this mean we have the ok, BO?Hell, I don't care. I worry a bit about disclosure, which is why I prefer you set hard START and END dates, with clear rules.

Also, were it me, I would lower the threshold and thereby increase the frequency, if you get my drift. With most raffles, tickets are priced low and players buy many, increasing their odds (and the overall funds). HOWEVER, in the PayPal world, this might sum to too many fees, but I haven't done the maths.

TiDome: what say you - have you looked at this?

porschedpm
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
....The drawing coordinator figures the number of chances per entrant, assigns a ticket number for each chance (using pre-printed tickets) and draws the necessary number of tickets to produce 30 unique winners. ...

I don't think you need to actually issue printed hard copy tickets. Just assign each donor a sequential number for each $10 they donate and then at the end of the program use a random number generator to "pick" the winninig tickets.

Tweak48
03-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Is it possible for the supplier to burn as many as needed (paying the royalities as required) and use it as an an ongoing fundraiser for Lansing Heritage?

Someone should talk with John about that.

I'd be happy to pay $30 a copy.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Is it possible for the supplier to burn as many as needed (paying the royalities as required) and use it as an an ongoing fundraiser for Lansing Heritage?

There's a great idea.

Ken

kingjames
03-09-2007, 08:29 PM
The copies we are getting I assume to be original.Making copies of these would be an insult to the generosity of JBL.:biting: I don't think anyone is prepared to collect royalties and do the paperwork even if JBL were to go along with it.;)

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 10:49 PM
In this sort of thing, the KISS principle is best. If we know only 30 people want them, then $30 a pop is fine and we sell 'em out right now. However, if the assumption is that we a) have more than 30 people interested, and b) we want to raise as much money as possible, then allowing multiple chances is the way to go.

The reasons I'm suggesting a $10 minimum are:

1) we need to cover postage
2) we need to cover Paypal fees
3) we need to be certain that we don't lose money to those who only donate the bare minimum.
4) lowering the minimum donation increases the number of chances and correspondingly lowers both the odds of winning and the actual amount of donations (in a limited number of donors) IME.

If we had something of greater monetary value, I think a lower price would generate more income, Bo, but for a CD, I think the entry needs to at least cover costs. I'm not sure $5 would do that.

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
There are some problems with this:

Many who donate prefer to be kept anonymous - they are known only to me and Don.
There are some who donated since Jan 1 and may not have an interest in this? Using that start-date, you are diluting the chances of those donating FOR this "cause".
I suggest you set a START and END date - all donations in that period will be specific and tagged for this "cause".
I hear nothing but "Aye!!"s from everyone in my earshot...

If there aren't too many who want to be anonymous, is it possible to ask them if they want to participate? If not, fine. If so, then we can still protect their anonymity by assigning a simple identifier to them, like Donor #1. If any of the anonymous folks win, then you or Don can handle getting their CDs to them. I'll never know the names.

As for the start and stop date, I don't care. Someone in authority needs to set it. I'm just a volunteer here, with no status. Have the moderators and the administrators set it and let us know. That way I don't have to defend anything, just do the job I volunteered to do. :)

Titanium Dome
03-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't think you need to actually issue printed hard copy tickets. Just assign each donor a sequential number for each $10 they donate and then at the end of the program use a random number generator to "pick" the winninig tickets.

I just liked the idea of Steve Schell picking tickets out of a blown speaker cone in my garage.

louped garouv
03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I just liked the idea of Steve Schell picking tickets out of a blown speaker cone in my garage.

have to take pictures in black and white of that one, and use an old 1930's field coil woofer......

have only period pieces in frame....

:D

Titanium Dome
03-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Where's that box camera? :)

kingjames
03-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I just got my copy of John Eargle on Everest CD. Here is what it looks like for your information.

Let you know what I think of the selection's later.

boputnam
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
... use a random number generator Dammit, Ed!! :bash: One of those is NOT in the budget...

:hmm: If anyone has one, I'll bet Ken Patchkowsky does - he's probably tried three and sent two back... :rotfl:

Seriously, get Widget or Rob's nod on this, and get it going. TiDome and I will sort out the data...

Ken Pachkowsky
03-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Just got a hell of a deal on Westlake Random Number Generator's!

These units are capable of generating extremely clean low numbers as well as silky high ones. Of course the middle numbers have to be seen to be believed!

PM me if interested:)

Ken

Dammit, Ed!! :bash: One of those is NOT in the budget...

:hmm: If anyone has one, I'll bet Ken Patchkowsky does - he's probably tried three and sent two back... :rotfl:

Seriously, get Widget or Rob's nod on this, and get it going. TiDome and I will sort out the data...

Hoerninger
03-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Seriously?
You can try
http://www.random.org/sform.html
(I do usualy use HP calculators for any range of numbers.)

Titanium Dome
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I already have one I got for free sitting on the curb in front of a house in Benton Harbor, MI. It's an old Heathkit and you have to put a jumper over the integer randomizer chip to get it to work, but as long as all numbers are prime numbers it works like a charm.

Next? :p

Titanium Dome
03-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Seriously?
You can try
http://www.random.org/sform.html
(I do usualy use HP calculators for any range of numbers.)

Thanks, Peter. I usually use this one:

http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm

Very close address, eh?

hjames
03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey guys - when you decide on how this auction or raffle or fund raiser or whatever it is will run, let me know when to donate money.
I'm not giving any more money until this thing gets going - I keep missing start dates and wind up having to contribute twice -
(like last year with the JBL Data CD) ... I don't mind contributing - but it does get annoying to miss stuff that way.

Anyway - my vote would be to include all donations since Jan 1, 2007

Anyway - here's the back cover with Track details that Heinz shared with us in his Array Demo thread ...
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=134429#post134429 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=134429&postcount=11)
(Thanks Heinz!)

kingjames
03-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I think we need a start time and end time. Moderator's,administrator's,help please. Thankyou!:)

Ken Pachkowsky
03-11-2007, 11:48 AM

The site will raise more going this route. My last 2 cents.

Ken

kingjames
03-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Just spoke with Mike at JBL and he said that JBL will take care of the shipping.He would prefer the winning names and address'es on an Excel Spreadsheet so they can make labels.

I also recommend that a 3% fee be added to all paypal user's to offset paypal fee's. Just my thoughts!

hjames
03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Just spoke with Mike at JBL and he said that JBL will take care of the shipping.He would prefer the winning names and address'es on an Excel Spreadsheet so they can make labels.

I also recommend that a 3% fee be added to all paypal user's to offset paypal fee's. Just my thoughts!

Too cool - shipped direct from JBL!

Great work!!

So - when does this thing launch??

kingjames
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
So - when does this thing launch??

Yes, we need a date already, moderators, administrator's please set a date because the sooner we launch this the sooner the members can get their cd's.:yes:

And who said JBL doesn't take care of their loyal fans?:thmbsup:

Don C
03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Don McRitchie has not yet commented on this plan. Are the inmates running the asylum now? Just saying, maybe we should hold off until evryone's on board.

kingjames
03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
it's obvious you haven't read this whole thread,Bo is on board which gave the ok.We are just waiting for someone to give a start date.

I have Pm'd Don and have not received an answer but I realize how busy the man is.I believe Bo can speak for Don and it was only after his ok did we even get this far.

So to answer your question no the inmates aren't running the asylum the inmates are only waiting for the power's to be to set a start date.

kingjames
03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Hello, has a date been set for this?

If this is a dead issue then by all means let me know and I will leave it alone.

If not then we need someone to set the date's.

Will someone in authority please set the date's so we can get this rolling!:yes:

Robh3606
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
It's not dead just need to talk to Widget and Don if we can find him:hmm: We will set something up. I know your anxious to get the ball rolling so just give us a couple of days. Things are a bit crazy with my schedule and assume so is everyone elses. You know the drill;)

Rob:)

kingjames
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
sounds peachy!:applaud:

Titanium Dome
03-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Mods: time to get this updated. Any news?

Everything is ready at my end, including arrangements with JBL for international shipping, so everyone can participate.

Robh3606
03-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Morning T Dome

You have a PM

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Get all the latest news on the Eargle on Everest CD Lansing Heritage event here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15312