03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't have either but I will offer anopinion

80 for HT and 112 for 2 channel

Take it with a grain or 2 of salt

Mark

grumpy
03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
as a center channel? :duck:

what are the priorities? looks, type of music, size, room size...?

For most of what I listen to these days, the L80T's would be pretty nice in
a "normal" sized room. Some music needs more kick...

-grumpy

opimax
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
If WAF is a factor have her look at them , new style or old?

Mark

jay
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
To me it's not even close -- the L112's lay waste to the L80T's which I found to be cruddy, muddy and low-definition. I wouldn't have L80T's again for free except to eBay off to some poor unsuspecting schnook or better yet, part out.

Just my 2 cents.

grumpy
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
well, there you have it :D

Proof that the question is only useful for you to answer.

I have both L100T and L112 (no L80T), so I was slightly guessing
about the low end. I have no explanation for Jay's experience but
I can accept it as such.

-grumpy

Titanium Dome
03-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Then let's make it a poll and decide by popularity. I vote with grumpy on the L80T, so it's now 2–1.

(No offense, Jay. :) )

jim3860
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Damn thats a tough question. Why you gotta make it so hard lol.:D I actually have both . L80-T3 and L-112 They both are nice speakers, the L-112 has a very clean sound, precise i guess would be the term to use. The L80-T3 has a very rich comforting sound and pretty much does its all well. I find myself listening to the L80-T3s more than the L-112s so I guess it would have to be the L80-T3s. REGARDS JIM

jay
03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Wow, it looks like I should have come here when I wanted to sell my L80Ts! ;) :p

In trying to find out why I didn't like the sound of mine, I took a woofer out and noted that the crossover had 14 pieces to it. That's a lot of signal manipulation for an otherwise simple 3-way system. I'd say the music was "strangled at birth" before it even got to the drivers.

I *would* like to hear the T3 variation to hear what they changed

BMWCCA
03-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm gonna jump in and vote for the L112, just to help out! I've never heard an L80T but I'll say I think the preference for titanium over the 044s is overrated and the bottom end is better with the 128H. And remember, I've never listened to an L80T so my opinion is obviously more important than everyone else here. ;)

Joking of course but my point being; you can't tell for yourself unless you listen to them both. Opinions are like a.......---well, you've heard that before! Seriously, I love my L112s and I'm sure either would suit you just fine. I suspect one issue is that you'll need to elevate the L112s to get them off the floor. The design of the L80T takes care of that issue.

GordonW
03-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Having worked with all of them extensively, I'd probably pick the L80T over the L112. Especially with a slight port mod (I added 1.5 inches to the port length) and a bit more cabinet damping (I added about one bag of polyfill in the top half of the cabinet, behind the mid and tweeter), the L80T just had a "faster" sound in the midrange/highs than the L112, with more bottom end extension, AND a better tweeter (the 035Ti just lays waste to the older model phenolic-dome tweeters, IME).

Of course, I'd pick a 120Ti over either. so THERE. :D

Regards,
Gordon.

opimax
03-09-2007, 09:38 AM
To satisfy the original poster he will need to answer the questions posed here. The thread has become a good opion poll elsewise

OT

Find me some 120s!! Please! looking daily...

Mark

porschedpm
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd keep the 112's and then replace the crossover and tweeter for the crossover and 044Ti from the 120Ti's. Or better yet sell both the 112's and the 80T and buy some 120Ti's. Or better yet the 240Ti's.

Zilch
03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
In trying to find out why I didn't like the sound of mine, I took a woofer out....I'm certain that was it.... :p

mike
03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Based on my memory I'd say the L8OT is a more natural and transparent speaker. The L112 was a great speaker but it was voiced to be a little forward and punchy.

Mike

Bones
04-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Deciding whether I should pounce on these or not:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/JBL-Speakers_14421963
Right now I have L100A (Late Version) and am considering these for either a media room that I am setting up or to replace the speaker set in my son's room that he uses for XBOX and his little integrated Technics amp (both shown). Price is of course $Canadian

vettedrummer
04-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd go with the L-112's Great lower end and nice to listen to. IMHO

BMWCCA
04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Deciding whether I should pounce on these or not:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/JBL-Speakers_14421963Your link shows L80ts but your attached photos are . . . unrelated??

I now have the experience I did not back in 2007. I own 2-pair of L80Ts, both now outfitted with T3 crossovers. In otherwise great shape, the stock L80T (before T3 upgrade) was just okay. It really stepped up in listenability after the T3 crossovers. It's still no L112 and not really even as good ultimately as the L96, but it's a damn fine speaker for the $80 I have in the first pair and $120 I have in the second including the T3 crossover mod.

I've also done the Gordon W mods to both pair. They really perform well until you A-B them with something better. Before the T3 mods I covered the 035ti with a tissue to keep it from tiring my ears. Bass is good, better now with Gordon's mods, but the L96 is still flawless by comparison. I'm gonna have to disqualify myself from the L112 question since I've had mine for 30-years and obviously can no longer be considered objective. They were always the second-system to my 030s so that tells you what a tin-ear I have! :dont-know:

brutal
04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Your link shows L80ts but your attached photos are . . . unrelated??

I now have the experience I did not back in 2007. I own 2-pair of L80Ts, both now outfitted with T3 crossovers. In otherwise great shape, the stock L80T (before T3 upgrade) was just okay. It really stepped up in listenability after the T3 crossovers. It's still no L112 and not really even as good ultimately as the L96, but it's a damn fine speaker for the $80 I have in the first pair and $120 I have in the second including the T3 crossover mod.

I've also done the Gordon W mods to both pair. They really perform well until you A-B them with something better. Before the T3 mods I covered the 035ti with a tissue to keep it from tiring my ears. Bass is good, better now with Gordon's mods, but the L96 is still flawless by comparison. I'm gonna have to disqualify myself from the L112 question since I've had mine for 30-years and obviously can no longer be considered objective. They were always the second-system to my 030s so that tells you what a tin-ear I have! :dont-know:

L112's for sure. I think they also slay the L5's I have here since this old thread ran.

WRT to the L5 (and to a degree the L80T);

I don't think the Ti gives it much advantage (for these old ears) to the 044.

I don't think the 704G/104H-2 holds a candle to the LE5-12.

I don't think the bottom end can compete with the venerable 128H-1.

There's a lot going for the L112 that's hard to best.

Audiobeer
04-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm going with the L-112's.

BMWCCA
04-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm going with the L-112's.

:D I did, too . . . 30-years ago! :applaud:

Bones
04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I thought I explained in the post what the photos were but hopefully this will amplify. I am hoping to replace the speaker shown (which my teenage son currently uses in his room) and will drive the new replacement speakers with the amp shown. Not sure why the L112 keeps coming up except the the original title of this thread perhaps. L112's are really not an option for me since only the L80T speakers are being sold here locally. If I did get the L80T I probably would upgrade X-over. Right now just trying to ascertain whether the set of speakers (link provided in my post) are a reasonable buy or not I guess....
Being a 15 year old I doubt he will care that the speaker is coloured, un-coloured, flat response or not. If it hits him in the forhead with an ice-pick he will be good to go I think....:bouncy:
Cheers

Your link shows L80ts but your attached photos are . . . unrelated??

brutal
04-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I thought I explained in the post what the photos were but hopefully this will amplify. I am hoping to replace the speaker shown (which my teenage son currently uses in his room) and will drive the new replacement speakers with the amp shown. Not sure why the L112 keeps coming up except the the original title of this thread perhaps. L112's are really not an option for me since only the L80T speakers are being sold here locally. If I did get the L80T I probably would upgrade X-over. Right now just trying to ascertain whether the set of speakers (link provided in my post) are a reasonable buy or not I guess....
Being a 15 year old I doubt he will care that the speaker is coloured, un-coloured, flat response or not. If it hits him in the forhead with an ice-pick he will be good to go I think....:bouncy:
Cheers

Thanks for clarifying because it wasn't clear in your first post.

It might have been more clear had you started a new thread specifically about the L80T instead of posting in an old thread discussing the L112 vs. L80T.

super440
04-03-2011, 03:35 AM
I've got 3 pairs now,so I guess I'm on the L112 wagon also.

hjames
04-03-2011, 04:57 AM
I've got 3 pairs now,so I guess I'm on the L112 wagon also.

Surround sound - and a spare!

opimax
04-03-2011, 06:16 AM
If you treat your child right now you may have a convert on your hand years down the road...

"Dad its your fault! iIf you had given me the crappy speakers back then I
wouldn't have never gotten the JBL disease and collect these ridiculous speakers now...

Isn't he worth the better speaker?

Mark

BMWCCA
04-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Being a 15 year old I doubt he will care that the speaker is coloured, un-coloured, flat response or not.
Which compels me to ask why you revived the thread in the first place? :dont-know:

dnostereo
05-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Which compels me to ask why you revived the thread in the first place? :dont-know:

Probably just felt like it ;)