PDA

View Full Version : Speaker grilles: so, what did I get?

Fred Sanford
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I think I lucked out with a vague description ("dust covers", anyone?), and won a low-ball auction on what I figure to be a set of usable L110 grille frames (the nice see-through cloth as shown in my avatar is shot) and what looks to be a decent pair of unknown JBL grilles. Anybody have a guess as to what the blue grilles are from? I'll have more detail once they arrive, but here's the pic from the auction:

majick47
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM
My guess is the blue grills are for the 4301.

mech986
03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
If those are the L110 grilles on the right, my suspicion is the grilles on the left with the nice JBL Blue professional cloth are probably the 4313's. That would be the most likely and closest match size wise to your L110's.

The 4313's are 22 3/4 x 14 1/4"
The L110's are 23 1/2 x 14 1/4"

Other possibility is they are from other 44xx series.

Let us know what the dimensions are once you get them.

Regards,

Bart

Fred Sanford
03-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll give up more details when they make their way to my door.

je

Audiobeer
03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm with Bart, 4313 or 4313Bs on the larger ones.

Fred Sanford
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
:banghead:

The blue-covered frames are cracked, one in three places one in only one place. Cracked through. The word "Fragile" does not appear anywhere on the box, not that package punters pay any attention to that. Just 4 frames and two sheets of tissue paper, wrapped in a single layer of cardboard and taped up for a trip from Utah to VA.

Grrr.

I shoulda known better when they listed them as "dust covers".

I'll measure them anyway just to see what they are (were), not sure if they're fixable...

je

mech986
03-12-2007, 06:58 PM
:banghead:

The blue-covered frames are cracked, one in three places one in only one place. Cracked through. The word "Fragile" does not appear anywhere on the box, not that package punters pay any attention to that. Just 4 frames and two sheets of tissue paper, wrapped in a single layer of cardboard and taped up for a trip from Utah to VA.

Grrr.

I shoulda known better when they listed them as "dust covers".

I'll measure them anyway just to see what they are (were), not sure if they're fixable...

je

Hi Fred,

That's really a shame. I just received two different grilles (L19's and Rogers Studio 1's) from two different sellers - each was wrapped with bubble wrap and then wrapped in cardboard that essentially created a double walled box - pretty stiff and both arrived unharmed.

Regarding repair, well, I have a couple of L300 grilles in similar shape. The milled particle board outer shells are cracked in about 6 places too.

Still, if the items are just cracked and they don't have chunks missing, you might try test fitting them (as much as the grille fabric will allow you to shift them around) to see if they'll still fit. If they do, then you probably would be able to apply a small amount of Carpenter's glue to each side, wait till tacky, and then rejoin with some pressure on each end. Be sure to protect the front grille from glue with some wax paper or similar inserted between the frame and cloth.

At that point, the glue joint will be stronger than the grille frame, I suspect.

Regards,

Bart

Fred Sanford
03-25-2007, 05:25 PM
OK, let's see if we can discover what exactly I've got- negotiations are still in progress regarding refunds.

Blue cloth, fiberboard frame, rounded profile on front edges. Interior cutout leaves diagonal corners for reinforcement.

Outer dimensions = 12 3/4" x 24"

Hole-to-hole dimensions = 10 1/4", 21 1/2"

Inner opening dimensions = 9 5/8", 20 7/8"

Thanks in advance for any info...

Pics:

pmakres1
03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm with Bart, 4313 or 4313Bs on the larger ones.

I too agree that these could well be from the 4313 or 4313B's. I own a pair of 4313B's, and the back side appears very similar, with one note:
mine have additional clearance in the cutout for the woofer frame and for the port vent. It is possible that JBL may have at some point decided to simply enlarge the cutout all the way around to make the cutout operation simpler. Or, they may have started out that way and then "beefed up" the rest of the frame except on the areas of the woofer frame and port vent. See photo.

Peter

aviator
07-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Could somebody help me to make new grille for JBL L-112? Does anybody have engineering plan for it?

toddalin
07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Could somebody help me to make new grille for JBL L-112? Does anybody have engineering plan for it?

Would be very difficult. The L112 uses a 3-dimensional, molded plastic frame with a curve in it.

brutal
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Would be very difficult. The L112 uses a 3-dimensional, molded plastic frame with a curve in it.

Or metal frame depending on the year made. My originals purchased in 1982 have metal frames. I also have a set of grills with plastic frames.

Wagner
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM

I have a 100% PRISTINE, PERFECT pair with PERFECT badges and hang tags I am willing to sell;
BUT not cheaply

They are Indigo (the dark "pro" blue) and have the metal frame work

PM me if you are interested

Thomas

robertbartsch
07-19-2010, 08:57 AM
I had a similar experience with e-bay acquired grills for a pair of 4312s studio monitors. Apparently, the original grills were MDF wood and they busted very easily during shipping. Packing in my case was a cruel joke - a couple of cardboard slabs with a shipping label.

I made a pair of replacement grills using plywood and standard grill fabric. So far, they have held up well for 3 years or so.

brutal
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I had a similar experience with e-bay acquired grills for a pair of 4312s studio monitors. Apparently, the original grills were MDF wood and they busted very easily during shipping. Packing in my case was a cruel joke - a couple of cardboard slabs with a shipping label.

I made a pair of replacement grills using plywood and standard grill fabric. So far, they have held up well for 3 years or so.

Before I realized he was selling repros, I bought some grills off a jackhole assclown on ebay for my 4310's and they are lightweight plywood and all warped to shit. MDF, as long as it's kept dry is more stable.

aviator
09-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Could somebody takes some photos of the L112's grilles?

brutal
09-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Could somebody takes some photos of the L112's grilles?

You're kidding?

http://www.google.com/search?q=jbl+l112+grilles+site%3Aimages.google.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=jbl+l112+grilles&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=k9f&tbo=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=df&source=lnt&tbs=img:1&sa=X&ei=xO2DTOyuJ8P7lwe7kpSsDw&ved=0CCAQpwU&fp=d331bd8e2d0de10c

aviator
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
You're kidding?

http://www.google.com/search?q=jbl+l112+grilles+site%3Aimages.google.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=jbl+l112+grilles&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=k9f&tbo=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=df&source=lnt&tbs=img:1&sa=X&ei=xO2DTOyuJ8P7lwe7kpSsDw&ved=0CCAQpwU&fp=d331bd8e2d0de10c

Ok, You're right. :D I see, it is made from metall, am I right?

brutal
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Or metal frame depending on the year made. My originals purchased in 1982 <1984> have metal frames. I also have a set of grills with plastic frames.

Ok, You're right. :D I see, it is made from metall, am I right?

The answer is, as with many things, "it depends."

It might be metal or it might be plastic. I purchased my L112 new in 1984 and they are metal.

I, and others have seen them in plastic. IMHO, The metal ones, which can be repaired or fabricated by a competent metalworker or DIY'er should command higher prices, but I don't think there's enough folks that know or care of the difference.