PDA

View Full Version : Please I need the bottom line on l100 recap

epoch5
03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I have searched this forum high and low and I am confused, no big surprise.
I have 4 JBL L-100's that I am going to recap. There are some on here reommended solen caps, others said they aren't worth spit. some say the .01 bypass caps are a must, others say they are useless. I am talking about the N100 crossovers. Can someone clear this up for me.:banghead: Please someone that knows what they aare talking about answer this. The cost of the caps is not important, I just want to do the right thing. TIA

It could be that I don't understand what I am reading.

Robh3606
03-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Put your mind at ease. The first thing I would do is purchase .001 polypropylene bypass caps to add across the Mylars currently in there. That will bring them in line to what JBL was doing in the late 80's. Then you can purchase Solens and Claritys and see what you like best. It's only 2 caps so it won't break the bank to experiment a little to see which ones you like best. If you get ambitious you can try to Charge Couple them.

Look Here

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3555

Rob:)

epoch5
03-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Put your mind at ease. The first thing I would do is purchase .001 polypropylene bypass caps to add across the Mylars currently in there. That will bring them in line to what JBL was doing in the late 80's. Then you can purchase Solens and Claritys and see what you like best. It's only 2 caps so it won't break the bank to experiment a little to see which ones you like best. If you get ambitious you can try to Charge Couple them.

Look Here

Tanks a lot.:applaud:

epoch5
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Look Here

One more question, using either solen or clairity caps would install the .01 caps across them?

Rusnzha
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
First I put .01 bypass caps on my L100s This made a noticeable improvement. Once the bug bit me on the ass, I decided to make charge coupled crossovers with Solen caps. Maybe it was overkill, but I also bypassed them with .01s. It was definitely worth doing.

epoch5
03-11-2007, 11:28 AM
First I put .01 bypass caps on my L100s This made a noticeable improvement. Once the bug bit me on the ass, I decided to make charge coupled crossovers with Solen caps. Maybe it was overkill, but I also bypassed them with .01s. It was definitely worth doing.

I just put a set of Solens in one pair and it sure livened them up quite a bit. I am going to put a set of Clairity caps in the other pair to see which I like best.:D

soundboy
03-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I just put a set of Solens in one pair and it sure livened them up quite a bit. I am going to put a set of Clairity caps in the other pair to see which I like best.:D
I am so glad you tried both...everybody is just trying to help....and the bottom line is, you have to bite the bullet, spend the money and time, and see what you think....every speaker and system has different colorations....but in 4 different systems, the claritycaps sounded the best yet for me.....and made the same improvements... I think they will tone down the L100, and make it much more listenable and enjoyable...without really changing the character of the speaker....it just let's more music through, and less harshness, grain, and brightness....have fun and report your conclusions.....remember, the PX series isn't as detailed and clear as the SA series...but I bypassed some PX series with Auricap .01's....and I think it's the bees knees....and the exact values are availble in PX for your 3 and 6 uf caps, whereas the SA's have odd values in some cases...by the time you add together values, it's four times as much to make the SA's fill the need in some cases.... Let us know what you think....have fun:bouncy:

epoch5
03-12-2007, 03:22 PM
The Clairity caps got here early this morning. So in they went. I have spent the afternoon listening to the difference between the Solen
and Clairity caps. The caps produce quite different results. The Solen produce a much more in your face sound, at times I felt like the vocals were screaming at me. I am sure that would appeal to some people. The Clairity caps produced a much warmer and smooth sound. I like them a lot. In short if you like a hard edge on your music the Solens are for you, if you like warm clear smooth music the Clairity caps are for you. It is up to the personal taste of the individual. The Clairity cap are for me. That's my opinion and it's worth every penny you paid for it. LOL:p Oh yeah I used the SA Clairity caps and have another set ordered for the other set of speakers..

zipplok
04-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Hello Epoch5. I have upgraded many an L100 crossover using Audiocap Theta film and foils (3uf and 8uf) and have never been dissapointed with the resultant sound. Neither has anyone else I know who heard the end result of using these premium capacitors. When combined with new L-pads and wire the sonic rewards were well worth the cost incurred.

scott fitlin
04-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Where do you buy Clarity caps from?

zipplok
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
E-Speakers.com

scott fitlin
04-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I have been dying to try these! :)