PDA

View Full Version : JBL Sessions LP and Discussions with JBL

kingjames
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I have emailed JBL asking if their copyright was still in force on the Sessions 2 LP set with Hoyt Axton circa 1973 that I purchased on ebay.

I know copyrights must be renewed ever so often and if not renewed then they are considered public domain and, I am not sure here. My discussions and reply's from them will be posted in this thread.I hope to think a demand for this on cd is the concensus here. I even offered them the original albums to put it on cd and sell if they want to. What do you guys think? Is there a demand for this on cd? Please let me know your thoughts.

This paragraph is my first respondence to them

This is a legal question. I purcahsed JBL Sessions LP a 2 album set on
> ebay called"JBL Studio Test W/Hoyt Axton 1973.My question is do you
> still have a valid copyright on this? I am asking because I want to put
> these 2 albums on cd and offer it to members of Lansing Heritage. I do
> not want to do this if there are legal ramifications. I do know
> copyrights must be renewed and I am not sure on this. Please let me know
> as I don't want to break the law and I do respect copyrighted
> material.Thankyou for your time and I do await your reply.

This is the reply from JBL

Good afternoon and thank you for your inquiry. Frankly, I'm not sure
what the legal ramifications of this are. I suspect that it might depend
on whether your intention is to sell these for a profit. Can you be more
specific about what you had in mind?

PS: We're very appreciative of the enthusiasm and support offered by the
folks at Lansing Heritage. Is there something we can do to help with the
project? Perhaps we could duplicate and distribute the disks (no charge)
if someone supplied a master disk and a list of members who should
receive them.

Best Regards,
Vu Le
Internet Support Specia

This is my last reply

My intent was to have a member record the albums to cd and I was going to offer the cd's to members who would make a donation to LHS. I would not profit from this.I could send you the albums and you could make it to cd. The Sessions Albums are in much demand as we don't believe it has ever been issued on cd.I won the albums on ebay and could submit them to you for this project. I would let you keep the originals just to have one on cd with your blessing. In return you could possibly offer this to the public for a fee since there is quite a demand for it on cd.I don't have the original Albums yet but they should arrive this week. This is the JBL Sessions LP (2) Album Set With Hoyt Axton 1973.I will start a thread on LHS on this matter to see what the current concensus is and if I am to go by the past remarks on this subject than the demand is much more today. Please let me know your thoughts in this matter. Thankyou. James Cichocki nickname on LHS is kingjames

hjames
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I've already made a contribution this year - but I'd make another contribution to get a legit copy of the CD.

What do you think, say, a $25 contribution to Lansing Heritage if we are interested in a copy of the CD version of the record?

Anyone got that first album?

(Thanks for tracking all this down, KingJames!)

kingjames
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks HJ, it would be good for JBL as well as I'm sure they don't have original stuff like that anymore and it is a part of their history and something though small they just might want to get back.

Zilch
03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I know copyrights must be renewed ever so often and if not renewed then they are considered public domain and, I am not sure here. 75 years....

kingjames
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
75 years....

Are you sayng there is a 75 year copyright on this material or are you generalizing?I have heard (rumor) that alot of the Oldies song era 50's,60's and some 70's are no longer copyrighted. I don't know if this is the case but heard it more than a few times from more than a few people.

I am not a lawyer but this interest's me. I wasn't sure of the legal aspect's here and this is why I contacted JBL.

edgewound
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
You can find it here:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc

mech986
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I actually have, I think, 3 copies of this LP set. Let me know if this album is needed.

Bart

kingjames
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks,Edgewound for the article very educating and kind of blows the hell out of my theory's. Rather have the truth upfront,though. Maybe JBL can make this happen,I don't know. Took a shot that's all! Jim

edgewound
03-06-2007, 06:00 PM
You're welcome, Jim.

It looks like by the response you received that they are willing to dupe and distribute it.

They like us lots.

kingjames
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
You're welcome, Jim.

It looks like by the response you received that they are willing to dupe and distribute it.

They like us lots.

I think with the earthquake and all they lost a lot of material and maybe don't have this available any longer. If they did I'm sure they would have distributed it already on cd if for no other reason than to just keep up with the times.It don't hurt to ask.:D

johnaec
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I'd rather find out about getting a copy of that new JBL demo CD that was pictured in one of the threads, I think about a demo someone went to of the Array systems when they first came out, ('can't find it now...).

John

hjames
03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh - this one?

Eargle on Everest! Yeah - I'd pay for a copy of that!!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20628&stc=1&d=1163801996
(Thanks Heinz!)

I'd rather find out about getting a copy of that new JBL demo CD that was pictured in one of the threads, I think about a demo someone went to of the Array systems when they first came out, ('can't find it now...).

John

I did google it but while there ARE some Eargle CDs on the Delos International webpage - this one is not -

http://www.delosmus.com/genre/demo.html

Zilch
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I have heard (rumor) that alot of the Oldies song era 50's,60's and some 70's are no longer copyrighted. I don't know if this is the case but heard it more than a few times from more than a few people.People who'd like to steal stuff will make up a rationale for doing so with impunity.

I have a rationale for all of Middle-Eastern oil belonging to me. Nobody's buyin' it, tho. :(

[Perhaps I should publish the rationale so at least IT will be Copyright ©Zilch 2007.... :) ]

Tweak48
03-06-2007, 08:53 PM
John

Absolutely!!!! :coolness:

I've got the Sessions disks (from back when I was selling JBL while in college) and while they're amusing for a couple of plays, Eargle's musical experience with Delos Records, and his audio engineering and demonstration expertise virtually guarantee that the demo disk would be worthwhile.

Where can I buy one?????

Don C
03-06-2007, 10:05 PM
You can go to delosmus.com (http://www.delosmus.com/), and search for Eargle. You won't find that exact disc, but there are a couple of discs available, and some of the selections seem to be the same ones on the JBL demo disc.

Thom
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
There was some sort of law change regarding recorded material around 1970. There was a business of selling cassette copies of popular music and the only fees that had to be paid were the royalties to the publishing company that owned the music. The people who made the record that was copied were sol then the law changed.

SUPERBEE
03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
And then there is this .....

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html) of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.html), Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1 (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html), Copyright Basics.

Do I have to renew my copyright?
No. Works created on or after January 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal registration. As to works published or registered prior to January 1, 1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal application as well as the legal benefit for doing so

JohnK
03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
I'll bet that the copyright doesn't last as long as the earworm from the song
"Devil on my shoulder" has/will. It has been playing in the back of my head for
30 or so years so far, since the last time I heard that record.

Rolf
03-11-2007, 08:10 AM
I did not get any wiser of this. Will JBL make Cd's of this ... or not? If not what can be done so we can get it?

hjames
03-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I did not get any wiser of this. Will JBL make Cd's of this ... or not? If not what can be done so we can get it?

It sounds like JBL no longer has copyrights for the material they had limited rights to use back in the 70s (70s?) - and that they have no way to provide such material at this point in time.

Now, I didn't recommend such a thing, of course, but, for personal use, you could probably make a CD copy from your album. If you were to TRADE them
NOT FOR PROFIT (e.g, not to sell or exchange money for them), while it might not be legal, it might be something that doesn't get prosecuted.

If you were to do such a thing you would probably not want to publicise or it involve the Lansing forum in any way.

Just a thought ...

Rolf
03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
It sounds like JBL no longer has copyrights for the material they had limited rights to use back in the 70s (70s?) - and that they have no way to provide such material at this point in time.

Now, I didn't recommend such a thing, of course, but, for personal use, you could probably make a CD copy from your album. If you were to TRADE them
NOT FOR PROFIT (e.g, not to sell or exchange money for them), while it might not be legal, it might be something that doesn't get prosecuted.

If you were to do such a thing you would probably not want to publicise or it involve the Lansing forum in any way.

Just a thought ...

OK. The thing is that I do not have the vinyl album. I had it many years ago, and would like a copy on a CD. Can anybody help?

PS. The copy should be from an album that does not have all the signs of a "well played" album.

afriqueart
03-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Years ago, Drew Daniels sent me a project he was working on....the cd issue of sessions. It is a 2 disc set with 27 songs on cd 1 and 20 tracks on cd 2.

BMWCCA
03-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Years ago, Drew Daniels sent me a project he was working on....the cd issue of sessions. It is a 2 disc set with 27 songs on cd 1 and 20 tracks on cd 2.

Sign me up for a dupe! :banana:

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2018, 06:49 PM
I don't understand why anyone goes on about that album.

It's studio chatter , frequency sweeps , instrument sounds and a few
songs. Once through it is quite enough.

IF it was put out by someone other than JBL, wud be totally ignored.

BMWCCA
03-01-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't understand why anyone goes on about that album.

It's studio chatter , frequency sweeps , instrument sounds and a few
songs. Once through it is quite enough.

IF it was put out by someone other than JBL, wud be totally ignored.
Never heard of it before joining this group. Haven't ever heard it. A duplicate CD should not be a huge investment. Maybe I will only play it once. I'll never know until I try it! :dont-know:

hjames
03-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Let us know how making duplicates works ...
and when you have some available.

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2018, 11:09 AM
here is a link to my post on selling the Sessions records ... shows track listings

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17001-FS-JBL-Sessions-2-disk-LP-set&highlight=sessions+fs

Odd
03-02-2018, 04:20 PM
I have the vinyl edition, there's no need to spend a lot of work in finding this.

SEAWOLF97
06-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Have found that I have another copy - 2 Lp's & booklet.

Anybody interested in acquiring, PM me.

Cyclotronguy
06-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Discogs is your friend... 83 instances of the 1973 release listed for sale

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sessions/master/563290

hsosdrum
06-19-2018, 03:36 PM
I had a copy of this LP when I was selling audio back in the late 1970s. I remember not being particularly impressed with either the music or the recording quality. (I was unimpressed to the point that I never used it as a demo LP.)

Today's adjective for how I felt then would be "Meh...".