PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

pangea
03-06-2007, 05:49 AM
What happened to the interesting discussion on the Everest DD66000?

I don't seem to be able to find it anymore.

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
03-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Do you mean this?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13732

pangea
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Actually no, although it's an interesting one, which I will read of course with great interest, but I was looking for the discussion where Mr. Bouskas asked several very articulate and in my view absolutely relevant questions about the design choices of the DD66000.

BR
Roland

speakerdave
03-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Actually no, although it's an interesting one, which I will read of course with great interest, but I was looking for the discussion where Mr. Bouskas asked several very articulate and in my view absolutely relevant questions about the design choices of the DD66000.

BR
Roland

Maybe it's been pulled pending Jack actually hearing the speakers. After all, this whole thing is only about what it sounds like in the end.

David

pangea
03-07-2007, 04:13 AM
Maybe it's been pulled pending Jack actually hearing the speakers. After all, this whole thing is only about what it sounds like in the end.

David

I would think that the questions raised, ought to be answered regardless.

And please don't tell me the old cliche that JBL wouldn't have chosen the design if the sound wasn't perfect, that isn't an argument.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a huge fan of JBL for more than thirty years and will be, for as long as I live, but when the asking price is more than what most people make in a year, Mr Bouskas question on the design choices, ought to be taken seriously and answered with some strong arguments, not censured out.

BR
Roland

Hoerninger
03-07-2007, 05:58 AM
... I was looking for the discussion where Mr. Bouskas asked several very articulate and in my view absolutely relevant questions about the design choices of the DD66000.

You have probably meant this (and follow ups):
Some questions related to the design of the D66000 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=124429&postcount=101)

Hofmannhp
03-07-2007, 07:10 AM

BR
Roland

Hi All,

we deleted the sticky, that's all...you can find this thread some lines lower.

HP

pangea
03-07-2007, 07:15 AM
You have probably meant this (and follow ups):
Some questions related to the design of the D66000 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=124429&postcount=101)

Ahhh, yes that's the one I was looking for, THANKS!:)

BR
Roland

speakerdave
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I would think that the questions raised, ought to be answered regardless.
Well, maybe, but by whom? Does anyone expect the designer to answer all those questions? I doubt it very much, especially since the questioner apparently had not heard the speakers. I expect that if and when he does, the tenor of the questions might change a bit, also. That might help elicit some participation. Would anyone else's answers matter? No, certainly not. An interesting theoretical discussion, perhaps, but until it is grounded in listening and testing, I don't see it going any further.

David

Rolf
03-11-2007, 08:02 AM

BR
Roland

Well, I don't believe there is much more to discuss before more people have heard it. I am still waiting for that to happen.

Ian Mackenzie
03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Rolf,

Your reply was unfair and snubbs Jacks interlectual curiosity.

If you have the depth understand then the questions about the design become quite pertinent.

I am sure some of the questions could be answered from a White Paper.

Perhaps that is now available.

Hoerninger
03-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Ian,

in this forum there is the white paper
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=124667&postcount=135

Rolf
03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Rolf,

Your reply was unfair and snubbs Jacks interlectual curiosity.

If you have the depth understand then the questions about the design become quite pertinent.

Well, if my comment is taken that way, I am sorry. It was not my intention. What I meant was that to discuss the sound of a speaker we have not heard yet is not right. When the time come, after I have heard it I will love to discuss it.

pangea
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, if my comment is taken that way, I am sorry. It was not my intention. What I meant was that to discuss the sound of a speaker we have not heard yet is not right. When the time come, after I have heard it I will love to discuss it.

Well, I think the nature of the questions raised by Mr Bouska are such, that I for one would be very interested, as to how and why some of the design choices, which are in obvious contradiction/contrast to earlier findings, regarding diffraction problems etc, are chosen on the DD66000.

This, regardless of the sounding qualities of the DD66000. I don't doubt for a minute, the sound is anything other than exceptional.

BR
Roland

Titanium Dome
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Rolf

You and I are on the same page, although I'm sure you can hold up your end of the conversation better than I can. I don't have the "depth" that Ian implies is necessary. ;) All the theoretical speculation is like dry grass baking in a hot summer sun to me. :flamer: Eventually my eyes glaze over and I drop into a narcoleptic state. :spin: :spin: :snore:

For me the hearing always comes before judgment and/or analysis. Even though I occasionally rag on horns, I'll listen to anyone's horn system anyway they want me to. I've heard many wonderful systems, and I just can't tell what they sound like until I hear them. I'm betting Jack's systems are astounding and that Giskard's and Ian's and Widget's are amazing to behold. Zilch...? :hmm: (kidding, Z)

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the curious mind and the intellectual prowess that many of our experienced members practice. I'll even read as much of it as I can, at least until I drop off into a nice nap. I have unbounded respect for all the people who have talents I don't have and who can make informed judgments based on an understanding of things that hurt my shallow brain. It's kind of exciting to see the brilliance that is sometimes displayed in these kinds of threads and to imagine what it'd be like to be that accomplished. It's like watching a great actor or listening to a great musician, if you get my analogy.

But as Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) said, "A man's got to know his limitations." All I've got are my ears and my personal aesthetic. In cases like this, I don't usually post comments in highly technical thread or they're just "That's amazing" or something simple because I know I'm over-matched. I have to depend on others to provide the esoteric commentary.

Unfortunately, if I read too much it just bores the piss out of me.