PDA

View Full Version : 4411 driver fixes...

jmsait19
03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey all... I just found this forum while looking for information on these speakers... seems to be an informative place.

I work at a church and we have a small studio space with some soffet mounted 4411's. We don't really use the space for anything anymore and i came in here and wanted to fire up the speakers and see how it all sounded. Most all is well except...

We definitely have the 044 tweeter on the left side that needs help. I believe the midrange is also bad. I can't make any assertive judgements beyond that except the midrange on the right cab may also be bad.

As far as I can tell the woofers are good, and from the desciptions found here they seem to be the original 128H.

The pots for the mid and high controls are very dirty, possibly faulty and need some cleaning at least...

So that makes 1 bad tweet and a couple mid range.

The impression I get from here is that these speakers are worth fixing, correct?

Do they do recones for the midrange drivers? And how would I get the 044?

And does anyone have a ballpark cost?

I'd love to get these up and running and get this studio back functioning. If these can work then we don't have to get new cabs and modify the soffet at all, which would be nice.

Thanks,

Jason

Fred Sanford
03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you might just have bad or dirty L-Pads, if you're lucky. How confident/experienced are you with taking these apart, testing pieces individually, and putting them back together? Along with that, how friendly is your workspace, or are they bound to get damaged while they're out? Do you have any test equipment (multi-meter, test amp, test cables, tools)?

You'll find lots of help here, especially if you're up-front about your skill & knowledge levels.

je

Don C
03-04-2007, 11:57 AM
When one speaker is suspected to be bad, and the other one is working, it's time to swap the drivers from one cabinet to the other. If the problem moves with the driver, it has a problem. If the trouble stays with the cabinet, look for a wiring or crossover problem. Watch the color coded wires carefully, and take notes. You need to put the wires back onto the same terminal that they came off of.

jmsait19
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds like you might just have bad or dirty L-Pads, if you're lucky. How confident/experienced are you with taking these apart, testing pieces individually, and putting them back together? Along with that, how friendly is your workspace, or are they bound to get damaged while they're out? Do you have any test equipment (multi-meter, test amp, test cables, tools)?

You'll find lots of help here, especially if you're up-front about your skill & knowledge levels.

je

Well the good thing is that this is a completely low pressure situation... so I can take my time.

I have some experience with disassembling and putting back together audio gear in general. I am a Senior in the Audio Production program at Webster University and I have worked at this 5000+ seat church for 5 years. All my experience has been through these two places.

We have some multimeters and plenty of equipment to test with.

Fortunately if something becomes too much for me, my boss is good at this as well. Bonus: A friend of mine who is graduating from Webster this semester is interning and he has some good experience with this.

So my experience with these speakers is none, but I have a good intuition and am cautious with most I do. Lets hope this all works to my advantage here.

Enough about me...

I listened a little more and it seemed like the bad drivers on the left came back on (meaning they aren't necessarily bad) but were slightly erratic. I will get some tone running through them and listen longer to see what exactly is acting up. If things are in fact being wierd I will do the driver swap. That's the next logical step.

They look great, the foam surround appears to be in great shape.

I'm not in until Tuesday and will have another knowledgable guy with me to give a hand so I can fill you in more.

Thanks for your help. I've used forums for other things and they almost provide more support than the manufacturer does...

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Jason