PDA

View Full Version : L110 Crossover Problem / Repair

webvinyl
03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Greetings,

I have a pair of L110 speakers one of which has a non-functioning midrange driver. Actually, the driver itself works fine when tested so I am thinking there is either a loose wire (haven't been able to locate so far but have not taken completely apart) or, more likely to my mind, the crossover network. From searching here in the forums, I've determined that my speakers are the earlier Alnico woofered models not the L110a.

My basic question is this, what would be the most sensible sequence for troubleshooting and, hopefully, fixing the crossover network? I don't really know how to go about testing and I sort of hate to just start blindly replacing stuff (also not sure of price so I don't know if that is a good idea anyway:) ) All I've done so far is clean the L-Pad pots (no change - they feel good) and just general poking to be sure there is nothing obviously loose or corroded. If anyone has any ideas on how to proceed or even which components would be most likely to die (I'd suppose the Caps...), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin King
[email protected]

Don C
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd still suspect the L-Pads first. Cleaning can't help them if they are open.

webvinyl
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I'd still suspect the L-Pads first. Cleaning can't help them if they are open.

Thanks for the reply. So.... how does one inspect / test an L-Pad? I gather from reading some of the info here that they are not just simple Pots. Do you still test them the same way? Can you tell if there is something wrong visually any way? It appears that replacement L-Pads are pretty cheap (plus or minus $10) but, again, I hate to just start replacing things if they don't actually need to be replaced.

Thanks again for any help,

Kevin King
[email protected]

Zilch
03-03-2007, 11:44 AM
So.... how does one inspect / test an L-Pad? I gather from reading some of the info here that they are not just simple Pots. Do you still test them the same way? L-Pad is two resistive elements.

Disconnect from the circuit and read resistance between each of the outside terminals (1 & 3) and the center wiper, common to both (terminal 2).