PDA

View Full Version : Frame castings: 2240/2245 cores

X_X
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello all,

I have two 2240 cores that I planned on reconing to 2245's. I was set to do it today, but as I was removing the old (trashed) cones from the 2240's- I realized that the frames were different.

I have one 2240 frame that has a bevel on the inner rim where the surround goes- one is 90 degrees and sharp. Do I have an example of 1 newer and 1 older?

Also, the shape of the legs on the two frames are slightly different; The brushed metal part of the face is significantly thicker (in guage) on one wrt the other, too. The input terminals are mismatched, but I have seen this many times before in 2235's, etc- so I'm not worried about that part.

I removed the motors to compare the frames more closely; They are the same exact height and width, and both lay perfectly flat on their faces...

So, pardon my rather long-winded preface! The BIG question is:

Other than the subtle cosmetic differences- is there anything that I should be concerned about before I drop these pricey 2245 cone kits in? These are my first JBL 18's, and I want to make sure they will be right.

Thanks!
Nathan. :)

subwoof
03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
there were 3 versions of the 18" ferrite frames and all will take the 2240,2245 or E155 kits.

The older K151 and the rare E151 had a much different looking frame and I would not use them due to insufficient clearance for cone travel.

I would strongly suggest that you bevel the older one. This was an issue with the E145 cones and again with the 2225H's. make it smooth with fine sandpaper and clean them well before having them reconed.

The foam surround might be forgiving but anytime something hits something it makes a sound that is NOT in the original program material..and a little tic tic tic will bug you...

The "thickness" of the face might be an illusion since the paint sometimes goes around the rim - use aNEW, large medium grade file to give it a new, shiny, square edge. be careful - this WILL cut you if you get too wild.

sub

Ian Mackenzie
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
I have a real 2245H core is you want it for a year supply of Swan...:D

X_X
03-03-2007, 02:28 AM
I have a real 2245H core is you want it for a year supply of Swan...:D

You drink that plonk? :p
I figure you stick with the tinnies- You do have 4345's....;)

X_X
03-03-2007, 02:33 AM
there were 3 versions of the 18" ferrite frames and all will take the 2240,2245 or E155 kits.

The older K151 and the rare E151 had a much different looking frame and I would not use them due to insufficient clearance for cone travel.

I would strongly suggest that you bevel the older one. This was an issue with the E145 cones and again with the 2225H's. make it smooth with fine sandpaper and clean them well before having them reconed.

The foam surround might be forgiving but anytime something hits something it makes a sound that is NOT in the original program material..and a little tic tic tic will bug you...

The "thickness" of the face might be an illusion since the paint sometimes goes around the rim - use aNEW, large medium grade file to give it a new, shiny, square edge. be careful - this WILL cut you if you get too wild.

sub

Exellent info, subwoof. I'll do as you suggested, and have a go. The bevel seemed like the better attribute. The thickness is different among the two, though; I measured.

Thank you!
Nathan.

Ian Mackenzie
03-03-2007, 04:34 AM
You drink that plonk? :p
I figure you stick with the tinnies- You do have 4345's....;)

Correct, I only drink Melbourne draught.

I do have a 3rd basket though.