PDA

View Full Version : Received all 4 of the XPL 140'S

kingjames
03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I got all 4 of the XPL140's today and unboxed all 4 to take a look. I was lucky somewhat as all I suffered was one little hole in the grille and one liitle hole on the foam surround of one of the woofer's.The junk pair has a good woofer so I will swap them out.The junk pair is what I used to play this music and all drivers work.One of the mid's is crinkled as you can see in the pictures.The veneer on the top of the cabinets is peeling but there are no dents or mashed corners.

I hooked these up and checked them by playing" A Theme from a Summer Place" and I was awe struck. The middle end and highs floored me and sound better than my L96's in that regard. The low end wasn't bad either but my L96's has that beat.

I have included pictures as I know how you guys love pictures. Pictures 1-9 are of the junk pair 10-? is the good pair and the boxes to show you what the boxes went through.

kingjames
03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
cont...

kingjames
03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
cont....

kingjames
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I really like these and might keep the good pair but I am going to list the others on ebay or part them out.I can see why the demand for these as they truly sound incredible.

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
ups really cares.

nice score , $100 for parts to fix the good pair and then part out the rest. you gonna make out just fine , dude.

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I will never understand the mindset of people who pay good money for a nice item and then beat it to hell.

Why so many beat up JBL's ???

johnaec
03-02-2007, 03:57 PM
It's odd that all the protective screens are gone. :dont-know

Did you get stands with any of them?

I really like mine, but they're in that piano-black finish that loves to attract scratches... :( (None on mine yet.) Still, they match my XPL200A's.

John

kingjames
03-02-2007, 05:01 PM
No stands he never got them. He removed all screens because he said they sounded better without them. I guess each to his own!

kingjames
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
How you like the after picture? I put some sealing box tape over the dome a few times really gently and was able to pull most of the crinkel's out.later I am going to see if I can get the rest of it out.

Rusnzha
03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I bet you will have a lot of fun with them.

kingjames
03-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Ya, I like this kind of stuff. Right now I have 2 of my Grandkids,both boys ages 7 and 3 and they want so much to push all my domes in. They like helping me so I let them participate. I just watch their fingers really close that's all.;)

johnaec
03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd take that 093 apart and push the dome out from the inside.

John

kingjames
03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
how hard would that be?

Don C
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Not hard at all, but some of the dents will probably pop them selves right back in. There's not much chance of making it worse though. It's self centering when you put it together, no worries about the voice coil alignment.

kingjames
03-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Don. I have posted them on ebay the way they are. Maybe who buys them can do that.They play fine.Thanks anyway.

Titanium Dome
03-03-2007, 03:16 AM
There's virtually no way you can "fix" those in a home environment. Once that thin Ti is creased, it doesn't come out. You can flatten it, pop out the big dents, even put it on a shaped anvil and try to reform it, but it'll never be smooth again. The wrinkle will always show.

Doesn't affect sound? Probably not that much, but it is a factor in performance. Of course, seeing can be believing, and once I replace by slightly crinkled 095Ti diaphragm, I swear it sounded better. :yes:

Titanium Dome
03-03-2007, 03:18 AM
That 095ti/046ti combo is something special. Sounds like kingjames digs it a little. :applaud:

kingjames
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I agree that's why I didn't take them apart.They are all listed on the bay already (the junk pair) .Yes I do dig the 095ti/046ti combo,they are such a pleasure to listen to,Crisp,clean and room filling,and the bottom end isin't bad at all either at least not like people here were talking about.I find the bottom end to be sufficient for how I listen to music.

Couldn't be more happy with these and I can imagine how the 200's sound.I like them so well I might have to get rid of my L96's. :applaud:

jblnut
03-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Not hard at all, but some of the dents will probably pop them selves right back in. There's not much chance of making it worse though. It's self centering when you put it together, no worries about the voice coil alignment.

Well....

As a former XPL140 owner let me just say that the "self-centering" aspect of 093TI diaphragm removal/replacement leaves something to be desired. One of my speakers had a weird resonance in the 093 that I attributed to a serious internal issue. I took the driver to my local JBL guy - twice - to get replacement diaphragms (both of which were DOA out of the box - he was pissed) but he finally ended up going through a very delicate and orderly process of tightening the screws until it didn't misbehave any more. It was definitely the voice coil rubbing but it took certain music at certain volumes to hear it.

Maybe mine was damaged in some other way, but it wasn't easy to get it back together sounding like it should.

jblnut

jblnut
03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I agree that's why I didn't take them apart.They are all listed on the bay already (the junk pair) .Yes I do dig the 095ti/046ti combo,they are such a pleasure to listen to,Crisp,clean and room filling,and the bottom end isin't bad at all either at least not like people here were talking about.I find the bottom end to be sufficient for how I listen to music.

Couldn't be more happy with these and I can imagine how the 200's sound.I like them so well I might have to get rid of my L96's. :applaud:

Glad you like them - they're an excellent speaker system. Have you played with different amps on the highs/lows yet ?

The bass goes does go amazingly low for a single 8" driver with the only limiting factor being how loud it will play. If you're not into shaking the foundation, you could be really happy with these for a very long time. The imaging from those Ti drivers is spectacular. Jazz (especially music featuring a trumpet or sax ) really comes alive and takes over the room.

jblnut

Don C
03-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Well....

As a former XPL140 owner let me just say that the "self-centering" aspect of 093TI diaphragm removal/replacement leaves something to be desired. One of my speakers had a weird resonance in the 093 that I attributed to a serious internal issue. I took the driver to my local JBL guy - twice - to get replacement diaphragms (both of which were DOA out of the box - he was pissed) but he finally ended up going through a very delicate and orderly process of tightening the screws until it didn't misbehave any more. It was definitely the voice coil rubbing but it took certain music at certain volumes to hear it.

Maybe mine was damaged in some other way, but it wasn't easy to get it back together sounding like it should.

jblnut
The flat head screws should pull the diaphragm assembly to the correct alignment. I've done a few, never had a problem. Maybe there are some bad diaphragms out there.

kingjames
03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
At the risk of appearing stupid, I've noticed a few reply's to this thread stating an 093ti mid and mine are an 095ti mid. Is this just a typo or what?;)

Titanium Dome
03-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I believe the original XPLs had the 095Ti and the "A" version had the 093Ti. Honestly, I don't know what the difference is. (.02mm?)

Edit: Turns out it's the voice coil among other things. See post #25 below.

Don C
03-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Giskard covered the difference, a search should turn something up. The later version (093Ti) used copper clad voice coil windings.

Titanium Dome
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Giskard covered the difference, a search should turn something up. The later version (093Ti) used copper clad voice coil windings.

Look here:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6364&highlight=093+diaphram