PDA

View Full Version : 104H surrounds

Andyoz
03-01-2007, 01:46 AM
The surrounds on my 104H's are starting to detach from the cones in some places, normally in sections about 20mm long.

I have attached photos of the worst one of the pair although the other driver seems to be showing early signs of the problem.

Has anyone else seen this happen and can they be re-glued? The only references I find to "glue" when searching the forum relate to glueing whole (not partial) surounds (I could make a meal of this if I don't watch out!)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/104H.jpghttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/104Hcropped.jpg

Don C
03-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I had a new 104H cone kit from ebay, it had the same problem, new in the box. I think that it's actually easier to repair if it's only partly unstuck, you can get some new glue under the surround without having to worry much about alignment.

DavidF
03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I had a new 104H cone kit from ebay, it had the same problem, new in the box. I think that it's actually easier to repair if it's only partly unstuck, you can get some new glue under the surround without having to worry much about alignment.

I had this happen on one of my 104Hs. I used an exacto knife as a trowel with very small amounts of glue on the tip (no extra coffee before hand) to be able to get the glue right down into the seam. Very small amounts worked. I did not want any excess to ooze out. I used some leftover glue from a recone kit. I left it a while to get tacky and then worked the cone and surround together. I am absolutely certain that there is an optimum adhesive to use but I do not know what that is. My “fixes” are still holding.

DavidF

Andyoz
03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Good to hear I'm not the only one.

Any pointers on what type of glue to use much appreciated.

I'll keep searching under "glue" on the forum.

boputnam
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll keep searching under "glue" on the forum.Go here: -> Surround glue type and pay particular attention there to post #8.

Also...

Concurrent relevant stuff here: -> Quick woofer surround repair.

Don C
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I once tried to use Weldbond contact cement to glue surrounds, and that's when I found out why no one ever suggests it. The solvent in this cement tends to dissolve the foam. But it would probably be perfect for these 104Hs, there's no foam to dissolve.

Andyoz
03-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Go here: -> Surround glue type and pay particular attention there to post #8.

Also...

Concurrent relevant stuff here: -> Quick woofer surround repair.

OK, I'll request this from my UK dealer...

"Pro Parts - 353196-001 ADHESIVE TUBE, MOYEN 308 7.00 $ USD EA"