PDA

View Full Version : any info polk sda 1a

dino
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
this weekend I will pick up a pair of polk sda 1a speakers, like I really need them but any way the guy mother pass away two years ago and now he is selling every thing I bought the speakers for 100 dollars and he said his mother has a bigger set in storage. he does not know the model number but he knows the speaker is bigger. same brand polk audio. I know these speaker are not jbl but are they any good . thanks dino

Don C
02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I haven't heard that particular model. Other Polks that I have heard aren't very good, and in my opinion, the more drivers they have the worse they sound. The dual midranges side by side tend to make them sound like they are playing at the other end of a long hallway. Not my taste, but at least there is a market for them.

avguytx
02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Your best bet is to go to the Polk Audio Forum (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/). In here, it's Lansing stuff or nothing pretty much. I personally like the SDA series better than my Valencias. They actually have highs beyond 15kHz and I like the "effect" they have. But we are all different....

briang
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
S.D.A, if I recall correctly, was the Polk acronym for Stereo Dimensonal Array (think Bob Carver's sonic holography done with crossovers, matching pairs of speakers in the cabinet and phase cancellation).

In the right seating position and with proper set up the soundstage was amazing.

I liked them back in their heyday. If all the right acessories are there, the set is worth looking into IMHO. If you don't like them, there is likely a market for them (eBay? Polk lists?).

dino
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Your best bet is to go to the Polk Audio Forum (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/). In here, it's Lansing stuff or nothing pretty much. I personally like the SDA series better than my Valencias. They actually have highs beyond 15kHz and I like the "effect" they have. But we are all different....
Thanks for your input guys.but your wrong avguytx yes this is a lansing site but we all say good things about different brands . pioneer hpm 100-150-200, bmw ,klipsh wilson audio, tannoy the list goes on and on. 1st I am a jbl man for life but I also love great audio eq I cant find a awesome deal on jbl speakers every day. but you will have a better chance on other brand name eq. I can always sell it and make a profit.

avguytx
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your input guys.but your wrong avguytx yes this is a lansing site but we all say good things about different brands . pioneer hpm 100-150-200, bmw ,klipsh wilson audio, tannoy the list goes on and on. 1st I am a jbl man for life but I also love great audio eq I cant find a awesome deal on jbl speakers every day. but you will have a better chance on other brand name eq. I can always sell it and make a profit.

I apologize if that sounded harsh. I mainly meant the horn speakers not having any usable upper end. I didn't sell JBL in those earlier days but did sell them during the era of the L60T's up to the 250ti's I think it was. We also had a pair of the JBL Project Everest's in our store (this was in Arkansas...1987...IIRC) running off a pair of Adcom GFA amps bridged to them. Those were amazing in that era. $10K a pair and no store around had anything like them. We got them for the store after they made their debut at the CES show that year. Can't remember if it was the Chicago show or the Vegas one.

dino
03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I apologize if that sounded harsh. I mainly meant the horn speakers not having any usable upper end. I didn't sell JBL in those earlier days but did sell them during the era of the L60T's up to the 250ti's I think it was. We also had a pair of the JBL Project Everest's in our store (this was in Arkansas...1987...IIRC) running off a pair of Adcom GFA amps bridged to them. Those were amazing in that era. $10K a pair and no store around had anything like them. We got them for the store after they made their debut at the CES show that year. Can't remember if it was the Chicago show or the Vegas one.
No need to apoliogize I thank you for your honest opionion on the polk sda1, I never heard them play. and what is so awesome about this site we can post any question on building a custom jbl speaker - what drivers to use, what cubic ft of the cabinet,-tunning - xover- even if you want to modified a xover on the L250- if you want to add a hf driver on the altec lansing 19 or jbl 4430. what ever question you have there some one here to tell you the dos or the donts

dino
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I p/u the polks sda-1 sunday . I am very surpise they sound pretty good I just cant belive those little 6 inch plastic woofers with a half of 1 inch in diameter voice coil can take 500 wpc :blink: do you smell something burning

tigerstripeeyes
09-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm looking for large Polk SDA speakers!! Do you still have yours and what about the old lady with the other pair of larger Polks? Did you get those model numbers? What are they?