PDA

View Full Version : Early Verticle Array L100's Finally Finished

jaynemo
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Picked these up locally last summer, all original mint drivers (no pushed in dust caps here), great cabs. I purchased a spare set of X-overs (kept the originals intact), stripped them down to the boards and completely rebuilt with Madisound L-pads, inductors, Solens fast caps & Dayton resistors, all new 16 AWG hook up wire & gold plated binding posts. Improved the internal damping with open cell 1/2" foam. Sonofagun's quadrex grills finally arrived this week for the finishing touch. Hope to hook them up tomorrow.

Titanium Dome
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Congrats. Looking good.

Zilch
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Beautiful, in fact.

Nice bases too! :thmbsup:

[Tell about them, please....]

jaynemo
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I actually found these on craigslist locally for $5.00! They are pretty sturdy. They are made out of 3/4" MDF and covered with textured formica. They are screwed together with hardware. The bases are 10" X 13" & the platforms are 10" X 10" with a 3 inch high back fence. I scraped off the bottom cheep rubber feet & attached new heavy duty ones from Parts Express. The (2) verticle center braces angle the speaker back about 10 degrees and about 8 inches off the floor.

I saw a lot of these style stands commerically marketed years ago, then they disappeared. I had an old beat up one laying around in the garage, and copied the basic design, which is what you see being used on my DQ-10's. I upped the base size for the DQ-10's to 12" deep x 15" inch wide with a 12" X 12" platform, but kept the back fence to 1 inch to accomadate the lower binding posts on the rear of the speaker. These also are about 6 inch elevation with a 10 degree pitch. The 3/4 " MDF is all 1/4 rounded and glued and screwed and painted satin black. You can almost make a pair out out one 2' X 4 ' handy panel. I also usually apply 1/4" cork/rubber composite sheeting (that I yank out of the dumpster at work) to the platform to further dampen and protect the bottom of the cabs.

I'll take some photos of the stands alone tomorrow for those who are interested in copying the design, they are simple if your handy.

SUPERBEE
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Beautiful!!!

jaynemo
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
With young kids you dont see drivers exposed often at my house (kind of like the wife these days) but here is a shot anyway. A better detailed shot of the $5.00 bases are shown (qty=2) as well as a picture of the base style I fabricated for my DQ-10's. Very simple if you can get by the MDF dust...

greyhound
02-28-2007, 04:29 PM
gratz they look very nice. The stands look good and seem handy.