PDA

View Full Version : tweeter reconing

greyhound
02-27-2007, 03:14 PM
i have a pair of 050 gold tweeters that need to bee reconed. I found a guy who can recone them for me but he needs specs on these tweeters because he thinks he has the right dome for them. he needs to know everything about the tweeters there is to know.
can some one please give me al link where i can find the specs, the owners manual doesnt cut it,
thanx

the original recone set will cost me over 600 dollars!!!!!!says the jbl dealer over here

Robh3606
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
They were only used in a couple of systems so there isn't all that much floating around about them. They were in the L250Ti Jubilee and your Century Golds anywhere else?? Have you tried JBL Consumer Tech service?? I will give them a call for you. I live a couple of miles from the Woodbury facility. No guaratees anything will come from it but it's worth a try. I have impeadance runs on mine if you think that would help. What do you have in there now???

Rob:)

greyhound
02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
its a tweeter that was originally in the L serie.
but thanx for calling ill await your answer

Robh3606
03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
I called both JBL Pro and Consumer and struck out. I couldn't get any information that would help you. I found out that recone kits are available from Consumer but other than that nothing else. From JBL Pro they were able to get deeper into things but there was no driver information, like we have on the site available. About the only potentially useful information was that the 050 and 050 Gold only seemed to differ in a Gold Face Plate and Recone Kit. Maybe when Giskard returns we can get more information.

Earl K
03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
They were only used in a couple of systems so there isn't all that much floating around about them. They were in the L250Ti Jubilee and your Century Golds anywhere else??

- Ti5000 is another system that utilyzed the 050Ti .
- An impedance curve ( derived with WT2 ) would be uesful.

- Rob, what's the frame-chassis of the 050 based on ?
- Is it a 035Ti or the 044Ti chassis type ( or some other ) ?

- If those were mine ( and I couldn't afford the $ 600 ) / I'd look to replacing with either a 035Ti or 044Ti ( assuming one of these types, physically and electrically fits ) .

:)

Robh3606
03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Ti5000 is another system that utilyzed the 050Ti

I was referering to the "Gold" version. There was a whole line of Euro speakers that used the 050 tweeter. Take a look in the German catalog in the Library.

Rob, what's the frame-chassis of the 050 based on ?
- Is it a 035Ti or the 044Ti chassis type ( or some other ) ?

More like an 035Ti but the faceplate is metal. The diaphrams are smooth like the 052/053 used in the Pro Monitors. Might be the same magnets as an 052. When I get home I will compare them.

If those were mine ( and I couldn't afford the $ 600 ) / I'd look to replacing with either a 035Ti or 044Ti ( assuming one of these types, physically and electrically fits ) .

I think he would be better off with straight up 050's. The would have a much better chance of fitting into the bezels. The mounting hole patern does not match the 035 bezel faceplate

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1992-german/page06.jpg

Robh3606
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Here is a comparison between an 052Ti and the 050Ti Gold. They are from the same cloth for sure. The magnets are the same size, domes look the same and the loading ring for the tweeters are identicle. I would try to get an 050Ti if you can't swing the diaphrams. What's in there now????

Robh3606
03-01-2007, 08:45 PM
OK for what it's worth here are driver measurements using WT2 for a single 050 Gold and an 052Ti Gold first.

greyhound
03-02-2007, 06:32 AM
i realy dont know what type of driver in there now. The guy i bought them from had the new tweeters put in by some shop. i took them out and they look like they are from jbl but there's no jbl logo on the magnet. But the tweeter dome has the typicall pentagram sign on them thats the same as in the xpl serie (or hexagram). It looks like a good tweeter big magnet.
Im thinking about putting the One inch dome from this tweeter in in the mounting plate of the 050. So i can put the gold coloured plate on the magnet thats in there now. That wil improve the look for sure.
I dont think there will be any audible changes.

greyhound
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
i can get my hands on a pair of vifa xt300 /v4 tweeters i have realy no idea if its comparable. anyone heard of these.
my tweeters

greyhound
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
this is in there now, looks like the xpl serie

greyhound
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
anyone any idea how much a membrane for a 050 ti costs. should i call harman or is it something i can find on the net.
And if you order an membrane is the voice coil automatically included.

Im pretty sure that ive got the 035 Ti in there now but im not shure if i can just swing the membranes because of tecnical factors(weight, coil etc)

greyhound
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
anyone any idea how much a membrane for a 050 ti costs. should i call harman or is it something i can find on the net.
And if you order an membrane is the voice coil automatically included.

Im pretty sure that ive got the 035 Ti in there now but im not shure if i can just swing the membranes because of tecnical factors(weight, coil etc)
if the 052Ti is the same as the 050 gold why should i get the 050ti.
wouldnt the 052ti be a better bet.
it also has a more neutral look in stead of te 050.
repair companys in holland cant tell me if the 052 or 050 are the same as the gold. whats the impedance of both tweeters.
if any one knows a link i'd be gratefull

Valentin
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
you could use the 053ti

and adapt the front plate

Robh3606
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
you could use the 053ti

It will not work without extensive modifications. The 053ti has the begining of the oval waveguide built into it and the frame is completely different.

greyhound
06-29-2007, 01:45 AM
It will not work without extensive modifications. The 053ti has the begining of the oval waveguide built into it and the frame is completely different.

looks nice.but im afraid robs right. im trying to modify as less as possible.but in the graf's rob showed the 052 is almost exactky the same as the gold 050. so if thats correct i will try to order a pair here. cost will probably be around 220 euro's (at least for the 050ti)
thats about 250 dollar i think. i can sell the broken 050 gold and the 035ti to compensate the costs.
but do you think the 052 is a good bet?
there are lots of tweeters out there and im thinking also about an visaton ke25sc but dont know if its comatible and id realy like to keep it 100% jbl
http://www.hi-end.ro/images/ke25sc.jpg
its an 8 ohm tweeter and ceramic dome.

JBL 4645
06-29-2007, 02:27 AM
I guess spare parts from JBL, is now becoming rarer each day now. What about a really good JBL tweeter type and get a faceplate cover to fit over where driver should be fitted.

Get a drill bit and drill four small holes countersink so that screw head fits it with flush mount. Now use a cone drill to make a larger hole for the JBL HF tweeter to fit into.

greyhound
06-29-2007, 03:48 AM
I guess spare parts from JBL, is now becoming rarer each day now. What about a really good JBL tweeter type and get a faceplate cover to fit over where driver should be fitted.

Get a drill bit and drill four small holes countersink so that screw head fits it with flush mount. Now use a cone drill to make a larger hole for the JBL HF tweeter to fit into.
what kind of tweeter are you thinking about. im prepared to remove the hole gold frontplate if necesary. ore make the frame bigger.
were do i find info on new jbl tweeters?

greyhound
06-29-2007, 06:37 AM
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-286&Category_Code=l_jbl_dias

found a jbl 052 membrane. it should be suitable looking at robs data
if anyone thinks also i will order them

http://http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-286&Category_Code=l_jbl_dias

greyhound
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
okay once again im beeing told its better to buy the whole 052 TI.
it seems jbl is known for making mini changes in tweeters to go with a specific goal. (speakerrepair)
so the diaphragm of the 052TI "could"be different from the one inside the 050Gold.
guido says he cant get the dias but can order the whole tweeter for me.
is there someone who can find out these things. someone that actually works at jbl maybe.
if anyone has a link i would apriciate it.
but it seems i dont need any help from you guys when it comes to shipping. they can send overseas.