PDA

View Full Version : JBL repair suggestions

Chris D
02-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Hello-
It's great to be a new member of this forum.
I am hoping that I can tap into your vast knowledge of JBL repairs to help me get one of my Cabaret Series 4691B up an running. I bought two of these from am fellow DJ and one of them works perfectly. The other does not. :(
I took the speaker out of the non-working one and switched it with the working one and it appears it is a problem with the speaker itself since it would not operate int he working cabinet. I did the same with the horn and it is also not functioning. I imagine it is the diapragm. So... I have one cabinet with operational horn and speaker and another without.

I am starting my 16 year old son in the DJ business with me this year and I bought these as a good set of durable speakers for him to take to his gigs. He is starting with birthdays parties and graduation parties for his friends and working his way into doing weddings like his old man. ;)

Can someone tell me where I can get a diaphragm for a JBL Cabaret 4691B? Do I need to contact JBL directly for this?

Also, the cone in the speaker looks in excellent condition so I am wondering what would be a common problem for the speaker to quit working.

Can you suggest someone in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area that would be looking to take on a project to help me out with this. I don't have the equipment to test the rest of the speaker components properly so I hope to be able to get these in to somebody with the knowledge, skill, and desire to help me out so I can get these awesome speakers thumping again.

I really appreciate any help & suggestions fron you experts!

grumpy
02-27-2007, 08:31 AM
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Cabaret_Series1.pdf

2425J driver... D16R2425 diaphragm, IIRC.

Zilch
02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.jblproservice.com/service/index.html

Rolf
02-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I think he need a little more help than a link. I cant help ... somebody?

remusr
02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Check the DC resistance across the horn CD driver and the woofer to assess what repairs are needed. Take them out of the circuit to measure.
- if infinite resistance then both are blown and will need diaphragm (CD) and recone (woofer)...but check the tinsel leads are still connected on the woofer; resolder if not.
- if get 6-7 ohms for each, that is typical of a good dia/coil in each so the problem may be connections but since you swapped them with good units good luck troubleshooting that! Check if the good units work in the bad box? try the woofer first as there may be a shorted cap that could blow a CD if it is exposed to full-frequency signals. Also try working the crossover LPad control a few times (at low level!) to see if it is corroded as that can cause the horn to stop working..
Locate a JBL repair shop, via JBL Pro website or the Yellow Pages or giving your location and getting advice here, to obtain and install the damaged parts.

Chris D
02-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have located an authorized repair center that is only 45 minutes away. I was hoping to save the gas money if I could find a local member of this site that wanted to use their expertise to make a few bucks and teach me a thing or three.
Thanks again.

grumpy
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Assuming the drivers are blown, and not some of the suggested alternatives,
a E140 recone is likely to cost "in the neighborhood" of $180... and ~$150 for
a diaphragm replacement install. Certainly worth considering your options if you
picked up the cabs for less. Hope you can find a local who can save you more
than gas $$$ -grumpy