PDA

View Full Version : CES Report

dennis j leisz
01-11-2004, 09:11 AM
This years CES in Las Vegas was bigger and better than ever. I returned last night after three full days of fun and frolic on the show floors. I won't spend any time describing the multitude of new flat panel TVs' and digital cameras on display but address the items which are of interest to members of this forum. I spent time with our friend and supporter Greg Timbers in the JBL suite at the Hilton Hotel. Greg was introducing his new line of speakers, the Project Array. The Project Array consists of 3 models of floorstanders, a center channel and a 15 inch sub with a 1000 watt amp built in. The project array on display was the 14 inch driver version . The horn is mounted in a vertical position. Greg said that he felt that this new design was one of his best if not the best. He still considers the 250Ti to be at the top of his design work. Greg played a variety of music pieces and I was very impressed with the dynamics and clarity. I would consider this speaker for a hi end home audio video system. The electronics were JBL .
The Classic Audio Reproductions suite at the St. Tropez Hotel was fabulous. The JBL Hartsfield reproduction was on display being driven by a pair of Atma-Sphere tube amps. Jaw dropping!!
The cabinets were covered in beautifull rosewood and were quite large and beautifull. Where do these guys get their horn and lens assemblies?
I have photo's of the show which I will post shortly. It was great fun . Regards, Dennis

Earl K
01-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks Dennis,,, Looking forward to seeing those pictures and some more verbage .

regards <. Earl K :)

MJC
01-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I spent time with our friend and supporter Greg Timbers in the JBL suite at the Hilton Hotel. Greg was introducing his new line of speakers, the Project Array. Greg said that he felt that this new design was one of his best if not the best.
-----------------------------------------

Did Greg give a comparision between the Project Array and the Performance Series? Or have you heard both of them?

Wardsweb
01-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Gee, I've seen something like this before:

http://forum.audiogon.com/i/ces04/f/1073753883.jpg

Usher Audio CES 2004 (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?usheraudio&&ManuView)

Valentin
01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
what hapend with the Project array photos

here is a link to some photos hopr to see the one of the show

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=551&page_number=1

whats the price for pair of left and right front speakers

Mr. Widget
01-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by dennis j leisz

The Classic Audio Reproductions suite at the St. Tropez Hotel was fabulous. The JBL Hartsfield reproduction was on display being driven by a pair of Atma-Sphere tube amps. Jaw dropping!!
The cabinets were covered in beautifull rosewood and were quite large and beautifull. Where do these guys get their horn and lens assemblies?

They have the horn and lens custom made. They are reproductions of the original JBL design.

EdSawyer
01-19-2004, 06:26 PM
For $30k/pr, I would sure as hell hope they can afford to have them custom made. I listened to those for a while (the hartsfields) and while good, you can buy an original pair, a ton of interesting TAD drivers and whatnot, and/or roll your own setup and still have plenty of $ left over, IMHO. Not to mention the sound will be better...

nice that they are remaking a classic, but I'd expect more improvement on it, esp. for the price.

-Ed

Oldmics
01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
"nice that they are remaking a classic, but I'd expect more improvement on it, esp. for the price.

-Ed"
Those repros sound NOTHING like an original Hartsfield.
Oldmics

Mr. Widget
01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey Oldmics, which do you prefer?

Oldmics
01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Widget buddy-silly question!!!!!!!!

EdSawyer
01-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Clearly they must be different. The drivers alone could account for that, to say nothing of internal construction. I am sure the new ones go much higher in freq. than a hartsfield, and probably lower too - ? with 2 added TAD tweeters, it would be no surprise. Nonetheless for better or worse, I expect more for the price, or else cut it by 75% or so (unrealistic, I know) and they would be a nice speaker @ that point. ($7500/pr). I believe the other drivers are TAD 1601C and TAD 4002 or 4001? (or maybe 4003? not sure, but it's one of the 4000 series certainly.) tweets are the TAD horn tweeter x 2

-Ed

mikebake
01-19-2004, 08:15 PM
About Classic Audio Reproductions:
I generally fall in line with the "you cna get better sound" for less crowd, but where C.A.R. is considered, I WOULD add this;

a) John Wolf is a great dude (okay, has nothing to do with it, I know)

b)the build quality on his stuff is just outstanding; it really has the feel/look/quality of something that will last a LONG time and hold up under the years/scrutiny really well. You know what I mean.

c)the sound; well, it does have a sound. I'm glad John had the stones to bring them to CES because they are still cool. When I heard them with vinyl, the did acquit themselves rather nicely, while not necessarily being exactly what I go after.

Oldmics
01-19-2004, 08:17 PM
See I have this problem about terminology.Reproduction is not an exact copy.The reproduction cabinet takes away from what the Hartsfield really is sonically speaking.

Ed is on the correct track about driver differences being involved in the final sonic signature of the reproduction enclosure.This selection of driver differences along with the internal modifications made as to allow the use of the newer componets delivers this reproduction futher and futher away from the sound of an original Hartsfield.

The real challenge is to produce a copy-an exact replica in both aesthetics and sonic signature.This chore has yet to be done.
And yes,I am working on it.
Oldmics

mikebake
01-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I guess I was assuming that an "exact" copy could be done (not necessarily easily) but that C.A.R. wasn't trying to do that. I dunno. In themeantime, on a completely unrelated subject, here was last nights project; 2245's under the CS3115 mid/hi horns.

Maron Horonzakz
01-20-2004, 07:45 AM
The new Hartsfields sound wise are better than the old Hartsfields . the older units could barely reach 9000 hz & JBL had to put those Godawful 075 tweeters in. They would boar a hole between your eyes. Using the TAD drivers is now a smoother top end. Using a tad 1601 woofer or JBL E-145 is a flip of the coin in preference. Heck the 2450 with 2450SL diaphrams sound better than that old 375.

kenratboy
01-26-2004, 10:03 PM
I NEED those new speakers. They looks SOOOO nice!

However, I would love to see JBL make something like that, but a bit cheaper, kinda a mid-flagship system.

Gioxtream
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello there.

My name is Wallace Brush...I was wondering if you could be so kind in providing me with Greg Timbers email or lansing member name in this forum.

I have motnhs trying to locate him with no luck.maybe you know how can i get in touch with him.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Wallace Brush.

I spent time with our friend and supporter Greg Timbers in the JBL suite at the Hilton Hotel. Greg was introducing his new line of speakers, the Project Array. Greg said that he felt that this new design was one of his best if not the best.
-----------------------------------------

Did Greg give a comparision between the Project Array and the Performance Series? Or have you heard both of them?

Mr. Widget
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Mr. Timbers is very busy and would probably not care to be contacted by random individuals. He does not pop in very often but here is his Lansing Heritage profile: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=2523

You might send a letter to his work address or try phoning the receptionist at JBL in Northridge.

JBL
8500 Balboa Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91329

(818) 894-8850