PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

CauYem
02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I came across a picture of a set of Altec speakers, and don't know what they are. Would you please help to identify them?

edgewound
02-26-2007, 11:04 AM
That a mix of JBL and Altec.

The slot tweeters are 2405's the bullets are 2402's or 075, the top horns are probably...well I don't remember right now....505B? with 288 driver's.

12" could be a JBL 2202, the 15" could be 2231,2235.

Don't really know without removal/inspection.

louped garouv
02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
that system seems really odd to a casual observer....

(me)

are the extra horns for room coverage?

grumpy
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
:blink:

"... but these go to 11..."

Zilch
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I came across a picture of a set of Altec speakers, and don't know what they are. Would you please help to identify them?A mess.... :(

edgewound
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
It would seem to me that these might be in a church...hence the extra horns on top for back of house coverage.

Small churches are notorious for having cobbled-together systems by the resident "expert"

JohnK
02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
My guess from the brick-a-brack, the wood finish & the more&bigger-is-better thing that these reside in Asia or Japan. Theatre horns for the home haven't been very popular in the west since the mid 50's.

CauYem
02-26-2007, 03:40 PM
They are actually located in California.

grumpy
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Look like 1005B's (top sectoral horns) and maybe a 311-60 below (large format
Altec horns)... this is really guessing... there is a library section here that you
could do some research in... -grumpy

Zilch
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
They are actually located in California.SOUTHERN California, no doubt.... ;)

grumpy
02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Heh... I'd take 'em for the cost of gas to get there :D

Thom
02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I think they are beautiful. If they sound good that's a bonus. It seem likely that they could. It's also possible that they sound better from the neighbors house. I think sometimes people see something like this and put together in their mind what they could have done for what they think the parts cost and compare what they think it sounds like to what they think their setup would have sounded like and then whatever system you are looking at always looses. This was put together by picking and choosing and it crosses every body's bias somewhere so without hearing it ever4ybody is going to think parts of it are terribly wrong, and they might be but I'd like to hear it before dismissing it. It has to be exiting.

I'm pretty sure I'm safe in saying it would want a large room.

grumpy
02-26-2007, 09:01 PM
The individual parts certainly have pedigree and potential. I was guessing
that they are in NORTHERN California :nanana:(CauYem's avatar) and that there was
some potential value in the parts (hence my willingness to drive),
if not as audio artwork for everyone.

-grumpy

johnaec
02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Delete the two horns on top, keep just a single 2405, and they probably could be made to sound pretty nice.

John

Mr. Widget
02-26-2007, 11:22 PM
The individual parts certainly have pedigree and potential. I was guessing
that they are in NORTHERN California......and as it turns out they actually are in Northern California. The bass bins were originally my unfinished 4355s. This system was put together using my cabinets and quite a lot of "extra" bits... oh, and the owner is a forum member, so you may want to hold some of the wise cracks.

I agree that they seem quite unorthodox, but they are not unique. I have seen other systems that follow this design rationale.

Widget

grumpy
02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
It would be interesting to get more of the history and intent behind such a system,
as opposed to "what are these?"... probably set me off on the wrong foot. -grumpy

louped garouv
02-27-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree that they seem quite unorthodox, but they are not unique. I have seen other systems that follow this design rationale.

Widget

How would one find additional reading on the design rationale? (IE what word or phrase to keyword search) pretty please.

Steve Schell
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
My guess on the horns would be 311-90 on the bottom, with 1003B horns above. The way the numbering system works on the multicellulars, the first number (10) denotes the number of cells, and the second (03) denotes the rated cutoff frequency (actual cutoff is usually lower). In this case the multicellulars look too large in relation to the 311-90 to be 500Hz. horns.

Earl K
02-27-2007, 09:23 AM
It's always interesting what other people feel they see.

On that note ; I think I see an Altec 329a horn on the bottom .

Top Horns ? They could even be well-kept VitaVox 220(s) .

:)

CauYem
02-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm a newbie to this forum, even though I was a guest for a long time. I didn't have much knowledge about Altec speakers. After reading many threads, and technical articles about these wonderful speakers, I decided to get a pair. I bought a pair of Altec model 19 & registered to be a member last Saturday.

I found the picture from another forum, and it looks impressive (to me). I started this thread to learn about what the system consists of since I have no clue.

My intention is to learn more about the setup, with as much respect for the owner. I'm sorry if I caused any people to "set off at the wrong foot". To the owner of the system, I'm sorry if any post from this thread bothers you. It was never my intention.

grumpy
02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry if I caused any people to "set off at the wrong foot". To the owner of the system, I'm sorry if any post from this thread bothers you. It was never my intention.

No apologies, please. My attitude ... my problem (mostly I try not to take any of this
too seriously and am sometimes surprised when my comments are taken in any
way other than as mostly good-natured).

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the Model 19's :applaud:

-grumpy