PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters

Vanillaice378
02-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Is it ok to swich the current tweeter to the same sized and shape tweeter but instead of titanium it's polycarbonate? I want to use the C1002 tweeters instead of the C1002X tweeters. I like the sound of polycarbonate better than titanium laminated dome tweeters. They both are from the Control 1 series.

Vanillaice378
02-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Here's the tech specs for my speakers and the orginal Control 1.

Vanillaice378
02-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I talked to some tech guys that work with speakers and they said that it would be perfectly fine to swap tweeters since they are basicaly the same tweeters but just one has a titanium coating and one doesn't also they said that if the crossover freq is 4000hz the Polycarbonate tweeters can handle that without a problem. What do you guys think?

louped garouv
02-25-2007, 09:19 AM
i bet someone around here could walk you through a better solution than a simple swap "plug and play" style....

i can't tho' :o: not good at crossover design... no sireee....

if you had some testing equipment (or were willing to send the tweeters to member "Zilch" for testing ;) -- he loves that kind of stuff, testing JBLs and other tweeters, that is), you could really see if the bigger tweeters (I think the polycarbonate ones are .75" & the titanium ones are .50", right?) could handle the lower xover well....

sure they can do it, but can they do it as well as the current drivers do as engineered by the factory with the current networks?

Vanillaice378
02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Well I' am just trying to make my Control 1Xtreme to closest to the orginal Control 1 so that's why I want polycarbonate tweeters instead of titanium laminate. I have already measued the the orginal Control 1 tweeters and woofers and mine and they are exactly the same size. I don't know why JBL says the woofers are 4in but they are acutaly same as the orginal one that is 5in. I just they just measured them differently like maybe they measured from the rims or maybe the foam part ot the frames of the woofers but eather way thay are exactly the same speakers. I talked to JBL tech and they said that the Xtremes where basical a newer version of the orginal and they made the Xtremes since they were soo popular. They have made some improvements in the Xtremes too like adding titanium instead of polycarbonate. Other than that they are same speakers just measured different than orginal. Anyways I prefer the old tweeters since the highs are not soo harsh as titaniums are. That's why I just wanted to swap tweeters with the orginal Control 1 and my Xtremes.

kingjames
02-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Don't let TI-Dome see this thread.:D

louped garouv
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
so ....

do you have a pair of each, currently?

if you do, swap both the crossovers and tweeters if the woofers are the same, as you are saying....

right?

Vanillaice378
02-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Well no I don't have the orginal Control 1 anymore I just remembered that I have just measured them before and they were same size. I just know that when I talked to the tech guys at Orange County Speaker and they said that if the crossovers only different in the two is one being 6000hz and other one is 4000hz it will be perfectly fine meaning putting the polycarbonate tweeters on a 4000hz is ok.

Titanium Dome
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Don't let TI-Dome see this thread.:D

Ha! there's no accounting for taste.

duaneage
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I would go with the tweeters used in the Editrol monitors,,,,

Rusnzha
02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Originall written by duaneage

Stop wasting your time with JBL and get some Edirols. This will solve all your problems!

Audiobeer
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I can't stop laughing! :D

glen
03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Edirolling on the floor laffing:rotfl:

MJC
03-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Ha! there's no accounting for taste.
I was thinking the same thing.