PDA

View Full Version : harsh sounding high's

Jakob
01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi!

Last weekend I got a chance to try my brothers 120 ti's and compared to my 13 years older L150's they sounded so much sweeter. Now I'm wondering if its my tweeters (033), or maybe the capacitors in the networks thats wearing out, or did the L150 have harsh sounding highs already from the beginning?

Thanks!

Earl K
01-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Jakob

I'd suggest you take your speakers over to your brothers house . Listen to them with his system driving them. This will give a more reasonable point of reference for comparative purposes .

What you've described can be attributed to many things ( amplifier, preamp, capacitors, tweeters, acoustic anamolies at either home,
even too much caffiene - or the absence of the "smoothing/relaxing" effects from imbibing :cheers: ) .

regards <. Earl K :)

DavidF
01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Good suggestions from Earl, above. I would add that you should compare rooms. Is your brother's larger, more absorbent (draperies etc.)? I have tweeters shelved down several decibels in my room as there is a lot of bounce that is just to brilliant at “suggested” levels.

Also, the obvious, make sure that the Lpads are not full-on, whether by setting or by a short in the mechanism.

David F

GordonW
01-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Ditto what Earl and David said... definitely try those options first.

If you still hear a relative harshness in the L150 (and that is an L150, not an L150A, right?), I'd suspect it's that the 104H mid in the 120Ti, simply has a smoother, more controlled upper-end response (where the midrange overlaps with the tweeter) than the LE5 in the L150. If you can persuade him, you might want to just try unbolting the 104Hs from his 120Tis, and bolt them into the L150s, and re-adjust the level controls. If this helps, I'd be on the lookout for the 104H-2 or 104H-3 (the paper cone version of the 104H, as opposed to the poly-cone version in the 120Ti... it's used in the late 4312 variants, IIRC) as a drop-in replacement for the L150. I'd think the paper-cone version, would come closer to working optimally with the crossover in the L150, than the poly cone... the "softer" felted paper in the 104H-2/3 might have just enough more damping than the hard-paper LE5, to smooth things out, without overly losing midrange transient "bite".

It is also possible, that you may find the 044Ti tweeter in the 120Ti to be better than the 033, which is also something you may be able to test by temporary substitution, again, assuming your brother is willing. If so, then an 035TiA may be in your future as a retrofit... IIRC, the 035TiA should bolt in into the L150...

Regards,
Gordon.

Jakob
01-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi again!

Thank You all for your input.
Some clearifications: Yes, its the L150 not the L150A, the L-pads are functioning and adjusted, and I had the 120ti's tested with my own equipment in simular rooms.
Regarding the LE 5 mid: I've compared the L250 with the 250 ti and didn't hear the same harshness.
What other tweeters and mids could You swap with? I know the replacements originally are 034 tweeters, but does the newer Ti25K fit? And what about other mids than the 104H,-1,-2,-3?

I have a pair of Scan-speak 5" mids somewhere, I will test those and see if anything happens!

Thanks,

Jakob