PDA

View Full Version : altec speakers for vintage guitar sound

jackrhein
02-24-2007, 01:29 PM
i am trying to get a vintage guitar sound with a gretsch guitar and I was told that Duane Eddy installed an altec lansing 15 inch speaker in his guitar amp to get that incredible sound. Does anybody know what speaker he used and what other 15 inch lansing speakers work well with guitars
thanks
JR at Apachestudios

Storm
02-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I never knew that. Did he really use Altec?

Wowza - I really enjoy Duane Eddy, have most of his LP's and play them from time to time on the Altecs...

;:applaud:

-Storm.

soundboy
02-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I am a Marshall/ Celestion kinda vintage guy....but back in the day, I played with a guy that used an old tube Fender Bassman, and a pair of JBL K130's....sounded pretty damn decent....if what you are looking for is that clean/ but ballsy sound....JBL K130's or 120's are pretty decent. I think the E series is "too clean"...just my two cents. I use vintage celestion 12's....since a boatload of blues, rock/pop music in the last 40 years has been done on these.And that's my thing....I save the JBL's for PA and studio....anyway, have fun:bouncy:

louped garouv
02-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Randy Rhodes used to use Altec 418-8H IIs I believe...

edgewound
02-26-2007, 10:56 AM
i am trying to get a vintage guitar sound with a gretsch guitar and I was told that Duane Eddy installed an altec lansing 15 inch speaker in his guitar amp to get that incredible sound. Does anybody know what speaker he used and what other 15 inch lansing speakers work well with guitars
thanks
JR at Apachestudios

If he used a 15" Altec it would probably be a 418.

For JBL 15"...either D/K/E130. The E130 is a little more efficient in the midband, which some would say makes it "too clean" for guitar...but in the end it's all a matter of preference and what you can do with it.

The thing about using JBL speakers for guitar is that you can do most anything with them if you're able...from dark edgy growls to pristine bell tones....all night long.

Can't really say that about Celestions, although they are cool in their own right.

jackrhein
03-16-2007, 10:02 AM
it was a 15 jbl

Telecastoff
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I recently installed an E130-8 in my Fender Vibrasonic, that was originally equipped with a Fender/Eminence 15" speaker. While the Eminence sounded "good", the JBL E130 was definitely the way to go. It's giving me everything I could possibly want out of that Fender amp. I play the older traditional, Honky-Tonk Country with alot of chicken-pickin out of my old Telecaster and the JBL was just a natural fit....low growls to soaring mids and highs! It's an accurate speaker that truly delivers my sound...clean and ballsy! What a wonderful speaker!