PDA

View Full Version : 4412A placement

hogeye56
02-23-2007, 06:41 AM
I recently acquired a pair of 4412A studio monitors. We're they designed to be placed horizontially or can they be placed vertically and not affect performance? They will be a much easier and unobtrusive fit vertically in the spot they will be placed. These speakers will be used in my workshop so audiophile quality sound is not the issue. My main concern is not damaging them over time. Any input will be appreciated.

hjames
02-23-2007, 07:01 AM
I recently acquired a pair of 4412A studio monitors. Were they designed to be placed horizontally or can they be placed vertically and not affect performance? They will be a much easier and unobtrusive fit vertically in the spot they will be placed. These speakers will be used in my workshop so audiophile quality sound is not the issue. My main concern is not damaging them over time. Any input will be appreciated.

Although the owners manual states that these speakers are designed to be placed horizontally on top of a mixing board with the outer ends tilted in towards the engineer/user (thats called "nearfield" monitor placement) , there shouldn't be any risk of damage by using the speakers vertically ...

(See page 7 in the Owner's manual linked below - "setup")

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recording&broadcast/4400%20series/4412a.html

BMWCCA
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I've used mine vertically with no problem. The point in being horizontal is the placement of the UHF drivers at or near ear level and to create the proper sound stage. You should at least get them off the floor to prevent over-emphasizing their bass response and as close to ear level you can get the tweets will help them sound their best. Whether tweets are placed outside or inside depends on how much separation you have between the boxes and what sounds best for you. You can't hurt them but you can severely impact how they sound by where they are positioned.

hogeye56
02-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. As always, help can be found here.

Clyde W.

BMWCCA
02-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Although the owners manual states that these speakers are designed to be placed horizontally on top of a mixing board with the outer ends tilted in towards the engineer/user (thats called "nearfield" monitor placement) <snip>
(See page 7 in the Owner's manual linked below - "setup")

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recording&broadcast/4400%20series/4412a.html

For some reason the link at that URL takes me to the 4200 manual for placement of monitors with rear tuned ports. :dont-know

hjames
02-25-2007, 07:39 AM
For some reason the link at that URL takes me to the 4200 manual for placement of monitors with rear tuned ports. :dont-know

Ahh!- must be a bad link from the page at JBL-Pro!