PDA

View Full Version : Wilson speakers rumor

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Have heard ( unverified rumor) that one of our esteemed members sold his wif and kids to finance a purchase of some pristine Wilson Grand Slams.

What is the punishment for such sacrilege ?? If its not too drastic , maybe he will make a personal confession ??? I guess he cud hang some JBL badges on them for atonement ?? :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
i confess it was me......and i throw myself on the mercy of the forum.the prospect of finding the dream jbl's seems to get farther into the realm of impossibility and these seemed like a reasonable consolation prize.

JBLRaiser
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Have heard ( unverified rumor) that one of our esteemed members sold his wif and kids to finance a purchase of some pristine Wilson Grand Slams.

What is the punishment for such sacrilege ?? If its not too drastic , maybe he will make a personal confession ??? I guess he cud hang some JBL badges on them for atonement ?? :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

As long as he still has his JBL'S .:p

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
im going to sell the 220's to finance some improved amplification.the only jb's that remain will be the chinese circuit city monitors in the office.

scott fitlin
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
im going to sell the 220's to finance some improved amplification.the only jb's that remain will be the chinese circuit city monitors in the office.There, there, its ok, dont worry. There is life after JBL!

:uhmmmm:

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
.the only jb's that remain will be the chinese circuit city monitors in the office.

thats good enuff ....:applaud:

guess you got that virtual horse shoe I almost emailed you ?

Mr. Widget
02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
i confess it was me......and i throw myself on the mercy of the forum....Congratulations! I for one think they are fine loudspeakers.

I'd probably go with the Everest DD66000s over them, but I'd have to spend a few more hours with both before making that decision... alas, the market for well broken in Mrs. Gadgets isn't quite what it would take, so I won't be in the market for either at present.:D

Widget

scott fitlin
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd probably go with the Everest DD66000s over themAnd IF you lived in Tokyo, you would be able to buy them too!

:D

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
And IF you lived in Tokyo, you would be able to buy them too!

:D slammer!!!!!!!!!

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
now all our guru's can figure out how to improve 'em. :bouncy:

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
if anyone can tell me how to post a link i have pix in my desktop

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
do "reply" , go down to "additional options" then "manage attachments" ...browse and tag them pups, one on each upload.

scott fitlin
02-21-2007, 03:22 PM
slammer!!!!!!!!!I just could NOT resist! I had to do it.

http://www.entheogen.com/images/smiles/flame2.gif

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
do "reply" , go down to "additional options" then "manage attachments" ...browse and tag them pups, one on each upload.not working.invalid file,incompetent user etc

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
hey wolf pm me an email address. i know i can get it that far

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
hey wolf pm me an email address. i know i can get it that far

first pic of Jims new expensive children ...

hjames
02-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Industrial disease -
I see it affects all god's woofers ...
I think you North Western guys get those interesting speakers because the humidity eats the woofs faster

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Industrial disease -
I see it affects all god's woofers ...
I think you North Western guys get those interesting speakers because the humidity eats the woofs faster

ooops , wrong pic. those are my mains.....still waiting on jim.

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
ooops , wrong pic. those are my mains.....still waiting on jim.it seems hat you may just have to wait longer.ican only get the text.the pic is a htm 7.28 kb and im not savvy enough to pull it up

merlin
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
And IF you lived in Tokyo, you would be able to buy them too!

A few days in Tokyo would enable you to hear the Everest against the Isis, Alexandra, HR-7 and AG Trio - all in the same room at the same dealer. Then you could go downstairs and hear the k2-9800 against Marten Coltrane, Dynaudio Evidence Master, Wilson Max and others.

After a day or so you would have heard all of the best speakers in the world and enjoyed some fine sushi and malt whiskey. Another day to take in the local culture and stock up on music bargains, then a flight home culturally enlightened and sure in the knowledge that you have bought the best you could with your money.

And no doubt saved some at the same time;)

scott fitlin
02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
A few days in Tokyo would enable you to hear the Everest against the Isis, Alexandra, HR-7 and AG Trio - all in the same room at the same dealer. Then you could go downstairs and hear the k2-9800 against Marten Coltrane, Dynaudio Evidence Master, Wilson Max and others.

After a day or so you would have heard all of the best speakers in the world and enjoyed some fine sushi and malt whiskey, and a few hours in a geisha house for the finest in Japanese delight. Another day to take in the local culture and stock up on music bargains, then a flight home culturally enlightened and sure in the knowledge that you have bought the best you could with your money.

And no doubt saved some at the same time;):thmbsup:

toddalin
02-21-2007, 06:17 PM

I have a perfect set of these just sitting on the shelf in the bedroom that used to serve surround duties.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23085&stc=1&d=1172099956

I never realized that they were the famed and expensive Wilsons. I wonder why some store employee put an Infinity badge on them? :hmm: Was probably trying to get himself a discount until I beat him to the purchase. ;)

I know, maybe I just need to crank my Crown PSA-2XH through them to get that Wilson sound!

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

paid $5 for my pair, they were overpriced.
(Oh wait...thats them in the pic..)

macaroonie
02-21-2007, 07:54 PM
From the Wilson site y'all might want to digest this and then have a stiff drink!!

The main criticism of Wilson Audio products is the "It's just an MDF box" argument. Wilson speakers are made from three different materials, and MDF is not one of them. M material looks like MDF, but when you run your hand over it, you'll quickly know it's not. M material is harder, more dense and less resonant than MDF. It also costs eight times what MDF does. The black X material was first used in the Grand SLAMM and costs 16 times what MDF does. It's used in the front baffles and bottom plates of various models as well as wherever two surfaces meet, like with the WATT sitting on top of the Puppy. X material requires no threaded inserts when drivers or spikes are affixed to it because it's harder than steel -- harder to mill too. Finally, WATT material is white and more like ceramic than any kind of wood. It actually cracks when stressed beyond its very high strength. Wilson Audio uses it for the WATT as well as in the head piece of the X-1 Grand SLAMM.

" more like ceramic than any kind of wood " not even good quality BS what the hell does that mean. :screwy: :screwy:

spwal
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM

Those look good, but i would still take a new mercedes and/or a very comfortable retirement over them.

Canada does have a good public school system i hear. your kids will be fine, just have them run an extra paper route now. I hear the weather is nice up there in february.

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

paid $5 for my pair, they were overpriced.
(Oh wait...thats them in the pic..)

looks like good cabinet work from here.i bet the parts can be sourced without too much pain and if they sound as good as they look.............:D

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
[quote=toddalin;152028]
I wonder why some store employee put an Infinity badge on them? :hmm: Was probably trying to get himself a discount until I beat him to the purchase. ;)/quote]

well , some people have a lot of gull , just ask KJ.

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 07:41 AM
speaking of infinity does anyone remember the line source from about the late 70's.the local dealer had some but i never met anyone that owned em.hijack alert,so maybe i'll start a thread for big expensive speaker designs that never really caught on..........ill start........fulton j

Mr. Widget
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Do you mean the Infinity IRS?

Widget

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Do you mean the Infinity IRS?

Widget
that would be the one.did you ever hear them. i was not among the chosen who were allowed into the high end room then.what were your impressions.i do know that they were power hungry monsters but they sure looked impressive.

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
that would be the one.did you ever hear them. i was not among the chosen who were allowed into the high end room then.what were your impressions.i do know that they were power hungry monsters but they sure looked impressive.
no wait i lied that is a picture of 2 separate caps comprising one channel. the ones i recall had an array of woofs and the tweets in the same cab

Mr. Widget
02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
that would be the one.did you ever hear them. This pic is of a later pair... I heard the originals which were slightly different. They were big... they sounded big... on big music they were great, for a small ensemble, they still sounded big.

This twin cabinet affair was their statement system... they had several smaller iterations.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
soo, lets hear a little more about the WGS's ??

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 10:17 AM
i cant bring them home yet as the snow is up to here.in a couple of weeks i will dig a path to the front door so that a truck can back right up to the front door.

Regis
02-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Congrats Jim on your purchase! Must be tough to wait! Sure you don't want to rent a Snow Cat to get them to your door?:D

merlin
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
If you could afford those, people actually believed you when you said you owned the IRS.

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 12:56 PM
If you could afford those, people actually believed you when you said you owned the IRS.no i never owned the big infinities.the unwashed hordes were not allowed into the hi end room at advance tv radio back in the day.once i bought enough gear from them i was anointed and resurected.well whether this thread moves or not i woud still like to hear from those with first hand knowlege of the big expensive brutes that did not become part of the lexicon.

boputnam
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a perfect set of these ... that used to serve surround duties.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23085&stc=1&d=1172099956

Uh, your surrounds need surrounds! :rotfl:

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
You mean you are still having to listen to tunes on those nasty OLD JBL's ???

as Col. Kurtz wud say .......

The Horror , The Horror....

Oh well, I guess you can suffer along for a bit more ??

I dont know what they sound like. When they are all setup, cud you put on your best CD , run a mic from your PC and record a demo MP3 about 8 feet away so we can get an idea ? Doubt there wud be any quality loss ? sample at 80bps is OK. (:o: ) :bs: May be my only chance to ever hear some of these....:D

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 05:10 PM
it's kind of a hike from salt water but if you ever are out this way my chair will be reserved for you

toddalin
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Uh, your surrounds need surrounds! :rotfl:

No, my surrounds are fine, but those in the pic seem to have a certain "ambience" about them.

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 05:58 PM
No, my surrounds are fine, but those in the pic seem to have a certain "ambience" about them.those are the ones that the wolf found for a fiver.

SEAWOLF97
02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Jim
you had better write yourself a note, so that you remember to pick these up. Sometimes without a reminder, I forget to do things. :D

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2007, 08:02 AM
actual pic of Jims new system. I know how much, but my keyboard wont type that high, and dont ask me the questions, I'm just the dumb reposter.

jim campbell
02-24-2007, 08:56 AM
i just own the slams the rest is the dealers.........

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Jim

Is everything in the pic included ? Are there grill covers ?

jim campbell
02-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Jim

Is everything in the pic included ? Are there grill covers ?see above..........the grilles are mint and included and it seems a pain in the butt to remove as i watched the dealer labor over them about 15 minutes.i have a little skye terrier so they will NEVER be removed at home except for the pix.the dealer has a mounted pic of the soundroom where these were featured in some audio mag but i forgot which one.ill see if he will part with it.thanx wolf for posting that for me.i really must get some computer savvy soon

merlin
02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Jim,

forgive me please, but I look forward to you purchasing a mint pair of 4350's in five or so years time and sitting back with a glass of malt and a big childlike grin on your face.;)

In the meantime, I really hope you enjoy your new toys. Well done.

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Jim

I count 10 pieces in the pic (not the screen). are the amps included ? How much of the eqpt in the pic do you receive ? and when ?

TOM

Titanium Dome
02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
i just own the slams the rest is the dealers.........

So those are X-1 Grand SLAMMS?

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Wilson audio Grand SLAmm x-1 series 2
AskingSOLDNew retail$76900.00
Condition9/10 (http://www.audiogon.com/scale.html#9)Days/Views10 /2716
Ship costPlus shipping (http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ship.pl?spkrfull&1176676033&class&3&4&&gz)
Ship from1900 lbs from Canada
Ship toWorldwideIncludedBox, Manual

looks like it all goes in a box.

jim campbell
02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
they break down into sub assemblies.the bases are around 400 lbs each.the krell 300 in the middle is going for 6 k they tell me,used,and thats the amp used for the demo.all i get are the slams.the dealer specializes in the high end stuff and if memory serves last time i was in there there were a nice looking set of 250's but at the time i did not know anything about those.if i can unload some gear and learn to share dinner with my dog i might start thinking impure thoughts about that krell.in the pic there is a set of watts and some other mono blocs that are no longer there.i can get them home as soon as next week but im in the middle of a show and its fairly tme consuming.we have 20 shoot days left and that leaves me little time to get my house in order.id like to be able to back the truck right up to the door but that involves a good deal of digging.i will try to sell the l 220's but i dont see a lot of interest out there and maybe some other gear.the boxes come with it.they are set up with casters and when they are positioned a big bar is inserted to facilitate lifting and big spikes replace the casters.its not going to happen overnight but if i have learned anything it would be patience.

merlin
02-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Jim,

What are the cabinets made from?

We had a nutter here in England who DIY'ed some clones about 6 years ago and ran them with 2 x 24" Precision Devices subwoofers. Utterly enormous soundstage.

jim campbell
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
ill have to ask but maybe macaroonie can shed some light.

Mr. Widget
02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Jim,

We had a nutter here in England who DIY'ed some clones about 6 years ago and ran them with 2 x 24" Precision Devices subwoofers. Utterly enormous soundstage.They are made from two different densities of "mystery material". They make it sound like it is a proprietary sheet stock that they invented... I am pretty sure that it is one of these materials that were originally developed by Ciba Geigy and are now manufactured by several companies and marketed under several trade names.

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

Widget

John
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
actual pic of Jims new system. I know how much, but my keyboard wont type that high, and dont ask me the questions, I'm just the dumb reposter.

I have been in that room!!! I am sure that is American HI-FI. In Winnipeg.

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM
yes it is john.i guess you know dennis,and if you were in there a few years ago you would have seen that pair of 250's.i have been in and out of amhifi since they were on hargrave by the wagon wheel but most of the gear they had was just too rich for my blood.i remember big tannoys with 2 15's per cab and sae amps with leds and parametric eq's.i did buy more than a few japanese and half speed masters there,and i still see bill,phil,but i have not seen the englishman in years.most of what i had in electronics came from advance,and my l 300 components came from western sound on portage and furby,while the horns and lenses came from advance.

John
03-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow Jim We must have held the door open for each other at those Shrines to Audio in the Peg. I did see the L250's at American Hi-Fi. they were asking $2500 Canadian and I am sure they got it!!! They were mint in everyway. Dennis has nothing but the best stuff. I did see the grand slams but never had the time to listen to them, besides I was not in the market for them and would not want to waste Dennis's time as he is one busy dude. Let me know when you get them Wilsons dialed in and perhaps I could partake in a sample listening session:bouncy:

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
those high end rooms were kind of holy places.my ticket was the sp6a i got from advance.when i get them home and set up we will sit down for a listen or two.

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Jim

its been 2 weeks, are you sure you really bought those Wilsons ? I keep waiting for a review, then then mods can ask you "what are you doing here" ?? :biting:

(jus tweekin ya..)
TOM

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
just made the final payment saturday.until i finish the show i really have little time to do everything i have to do to get them home.its not going to be waist deep in snow for long.im trying to get some better amplification going but no word on that yet.regards jc

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
just made the final payment saturday.until i finish the show i really have little time to do everything i have to do to get them home.its not going to be waist deep in snow for long.im trying to get some better amplification going but no word on that yet.regards jc

I had visions of you walking in with a backpack full of $100 bills and loading the Wilsons in the station waggon and then enlisting the neighbors to help you hook them up to the Sanyo receiver, so you could put on some shaggy , celine and whitney. :barf:

louped garouv
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
American Hi-FI does an excellent job of shipping

IME at least.....

even if you buy the item for $1
(which is how much the Fosgate processor I got from them cost me -- plus shipping that is :) )

mike.e
03-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Jim,

We had a nutter here in England who DIY'ed some clones about 6 years ago and ran them with 2 x 24" Precision Devices subwoofers. Utterly enormous soundstage.
Hi can you give me any more info? Is there more info online?

John
05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
those high end rooms were kind of holy places.my ticket was the sp6a i got from advance.when i get them home and set up we will sit down for a listen or two.

Bump:bouncy:

Well the snow is gone and it has been over 30C. here?

Do you need a hand hauling them home:hmm:

Romy the Cat
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
i confess it was me......and i throw myself on the mercy of the forum.
Jim, I very rarely visit this forum but reading this thread (juts a few posts) it picked my interests. Can you tell me what motivated you to get Grand Slamms? I really care less how much members of you family you put in pawnshop, keep it to impress others. What I am interested is your pure audio motivation and your rational for buying of the sonic capacity of Grand Slamms. Sure, should you be juts a reach fool who have some money to spend then who cares what you bought. But since you went for considerable actions to raise money for your action I presume that there was “something” that motivated you. I ma very far form the position to worship the Grand Slamms and at the same time a am very far from considering them as a peace of audio crap. My question is more not about the Grand Slamms specifically but about the reasoning and motivations that some people use when they get for instance the 50K audio components. Sure you pay a lot of money but do you get an reasonable sonic compensation by the result of you actions? Could you elaborate about your thoughts?

Rgs,

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 01:37 PM
well............i am generally motivated by my early memories of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes which he used to hand out to the peasants.i thought to myself,let them eat cake and spent the lot on gear........your joking right?.............that name brings to mind a local artist that i actually went to see thursday night but someone else was playing.hopefully she will appear there soon preferably on a day that i dont have to work

John
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Maybe this thread should be whacked !!! It seems to be empty:(

SEAWOLF97
05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes

that may have been John D.............

Speaker Buying Motivations ??? wow, we cud have a whole forum devoted to that one.....

"Do you use The Strasborg Method of motivation OR do you use the classic greed/lust model ?"

Well I've worked hard for my stash, the bills are paid every month and I deserved something nice for myself. You cant take it with you.

Romy the Cat
05-12-2007, 02:55 PM
well............i am generally motivated by my early memories of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes which he used to hand out to the peasants.i thought to myself,let them eat cake and spent the lot on gear........your joking right?.............that name brings to mind a local artist that i actually went to see thursday night but someone else was playing.hopefully she will appear there soon preferably on a day that i dont have to work

Nope, I was not joking but I got the idea from your reply. I would be lying if I say that expected more lucid rational. The key is do not confuse what we start joking to ourselves… but…. it would be already some kind of high-end of something… and it would be out of scope of this thread…

Good luck,
Romy the cat

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 05:40 PM
that may have been John D.............

d'oh............and as far as rtc is concerned "whaa":blink: im definitely missin somethin here but i think i see a germ of an idea.........the fact that someone in our modern world would buy a large luxury item (tho to me it's the music thats the very life blood)...........sticks in the craw of a lot of folks.over the years ive noted that many of these same folks think nothing of spending large portions of their lives and much money on travel that they never tire of telling me about.i wonder what it is that makes me a bad guy for spending the money that ive earned,paid taxes on,and resisted the temptations of the world to save to buy something tangible with it.they have the memories of their travel and i have a lifetime,well a short one anyhoo,of music to behold that sounds faithful as the artist intended.

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 05:43 PM
"Do you use The Strasborg Method of motivation OR do you use the classic greed/lust model ?"

greed/lust works for me.................i wonder what the poor people are doing.........

SEAWOLF97
05-12-2007, 05:51 PM
i wonder what the poor people are doing.........

Oh, they are buying BOSE and pretending they've got JBL's or Wilson's...:D

Titanium Dome
05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Jim...
Can you tell me what motivated you to get Grand Slamms?

...What I am interested is your pure audio motivation and your rational for buying of the sonic capacity of Grand Slamms.

...since you went for considerable actions to raise money for your action I presume that there was “something” that motivated you.

My question is ...about the reasoning and motivations that some people use when they get for instance the 50K audio components. Sure you pay a lot of money but do you get an reasonable sonic compensation by the result of you actions? Could you elaborate about your thoughts?

Rgs,

d'oh............and as far as rtc is concerned "whaa":blink: im definitely missin somethin here but i think i see a germ of an idea.........the fact that someone in our modern world would buy a large luxury item (tho to me it's the music thats the very life blood)...........sticks in the craw of a lot of folks.over the years ive noted that many of these same folks think nothing of spending large portions of their lives and much money on travel that they never tire of telling me about.i wonder what it is that makes me a bad guy for spending the money that ive earned,paid taxes on,and resisted the temptations of the world to save to buy something tangible with it.they have the memories of their travel and i have a lifetime,well a short one anyhoo,of music to behold that sounds faithful as the artist intended.

Jim

I tried to pull out the key thoughts I thought were in RTC's post. AFAICT, he had a sincere question to know why you "went there."

I have to admit, I had some of those same thoughts (unspoken) when I read what you had done. Understand, these are not doubts or recriminations, but more questions of awe and comprehension, like "How the hell did you have the balls to do that?"

You gave some insight in your second post quoted above, and I think it's pretty good stuff. I felt my balls grow a little as I read your rationale. "Yeah, why not... ?"

Unless I'm missing something here, no one is thinking you're a bad guy; instead, some of us are thinking, "Jeez, Jim is THE MAN. He just f'in did it."

At least that's my take on it.

jim campbell
05-12-2007, 07:08 PM
well dome you are truly wise,and that i did not see that in there is my failing.truth be told i would have never done anything like that if i wasnt getting frustrated at every turn trying to find a decent set of big jb monitors,as well the memories of all that down time from a lack of available service and parts in this neck of the woods.(i'll spare you a rant on the current state of jb marketing)at my advanced time of life six months waiting for a part is a big chunk of my remaining time.ive been unable to get them home as i have been working like a madman to make up for the loss of falcon beach,which was not picked up for a third season.that was a big blow to the industry here.since i dont have any other expensive vices beyond music and beer why the hell not.and how often are you going to find a pair of those for the price,local p/u and no sales tax(private sale)when i was a young man i was dutifully saving for a tour of europe when i saw a sportster that drew me into a whole new world and i never regretted that either.

Romy the Cat
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, forget that I asked and let pretend that the answers were not know. It is obviously an empty subject in given case and the conversation has no worth or interest anymore, at least to me.

Romy the caT

SEAWOLF97
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, forget that I asked and let pretend that the answers were not know. It is obviously an empty subject in given case and the conversation has no worth or interest anymore, at least to me.

Romy the caT

kinda like a "drive by shooting" ?? Interesting way to engender yourself to the forum on the first posts.

sfellini
05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
kinda like a "drive by shooting" ?? Interesting way to engender yourself to the forum on the first posts.

Try this...

http://www.goodsoundclub.com

Romy the Cat
05-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Nope, it is not driving and shooting. It rather the experience to recognize the quality and capacity of fire by the smelling the smoke. Anyhow, you might drop me from the scope of this thread and go back to collaborate about connectivity between the suburban boredom and primary resosnt frequency. My apologies that I bothered you boys...

The Cat

SEAWOLF97
05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Try this...

Uh, yeah.. Roman Bessnow has some interesting views..needs spell/grammer checker, too.

I quote
"How to waste $25.000.00"

It is really amusing how Hi-Fi industry has built immunity against money. These days even a large amount of money one would spend have no benefits.
A few days ago I was talking with an audio guy and he asked me what speakers might he consider if he wiling to spend $25.000.00. I honestly said that I do not know, as I’m not familiar with any reasonably performing speakers that should cost $25.000.00. The $25.000.00 is a lot of money and for that sum a think a person should get something more then a severally compromised sound and the typical pathetic designer's excuse: “it would be too expansive to make it better”. However, what surprised me in my thinking on this subject is not the fact that there is nothing out there that costs $25.000.00 but the fact that even paying twice as much a person would not get any better choices.
If a person on a market for $1K-$2K loudspeaker than there are quiet a few very reasonably performing options. However, when you pay 25x or 50x times more, then what would you get if the 95% of all speakers-candidates deliver less interesting result then a $1K-level loudspeaker.
Ironically, that this situation become a norm in audio industry and the manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and the marketing doodleists keep brewing this situation with your, the listeners, silent agreement…
Rgs,
Romy the Cat

Titanium Dome
05-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Try this...

Yikes! After reading that I felt like I needed to put bleach in my eyes.

SEAWOLF97
05-13-2007, 10:14 AM
if i wasnt getting frustrated at every turn trying to find a decent set of big jb monitors,as well the memories of all that down time from a lack of available service and parts in this neck of the woods
i dont have any other expensive vices beyond music and beer why the hell not.and how often are you going to find a pair of those for the price,local p/u and no sales tax(private sale)

can vouch for Jims frustrating search (4435?), but when you have worked into your 50's , bills are taken care of , kids are covered, then why not ?

I am not so inclined , since I'm happy with my sys and enjoy traveling, but he loves music and will enjoy these the rest of his life, so give him a break.

Besides , they were local and none of the "shipping/pig in a poke" problems that we experience AND he can most likely get even or make money after years of enjoyment. geeze, its a win-win for Jim, be happy for him.

richluvsound
05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd like give 25k to Guido , Giskard, Riessen, Ian, Widget, Subwoof. I could imagine what they could design with those kind of $$$$$ Now that would be a speaker worth 25 k.
Rich:D :jawdrop:

Thom
05-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Probably I just didn't pick up on something again but it looked to me like you were asked what it was about the Wilsons that made them worth that to you and rather than telling you reacted as if attacted so that anyone who is rather ignorant of the Wilsons still is and since they aren't even close to my price range I suppose it's not terribly important but I am curious, even more so by your reaction. I would think you would be proud as hell of anything you would spend that kind of money on and want to expound on their virtue. And no I'm not being sarcastic. I've heard them joked about for years but I have no personal experience of them at all so at first I thought this was a joke then I realized it wasn't then I wondered when your only response was defensive. If you have any desire to talk about them I'm interested and it would be the first time I have heard about them from an owner, maybe even from someone who has listened to them. As far as is any speaker worth that kind of money, only someone who is willing to spend that kind of money on speakers can answer that. Everybodys situation is different. I'm not in a position to advise if you should have bought them and I'll bet that several other posters to this thread aren't either. They just didn't let that bother them. I really would like to hear more about your speakers, especially if you can compare them to something I might be familiar with.

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
well thom you know me ill yak till the cows come home.ive only heard them in the showroom with a krell fpb 300 which is considered adequate and the sound is sublime,but i will say that it is a more subtle sound than the big jb's.the tone of rtc's original post led me to believe that it was either a joke or if not a scolding for spending what most would consider a great deal of money on gear that may be used more for bragging and less for music.for nearly all of my adult life music, live and recorded has been at the center of my little world and i have gone to great lengths to further that end..........try riding a bus across ireland,wales and england to catch some schnidke quartets......or standing for two hours on a folding chair in a crowd of drunken teens to see............well you get the picture.ive been unusually defensive of late as the tone of some reply's to recent posts ive made has been icy from some quarters,and if you read the original rtc post it is a tad out there.but if i have offended i apologize.............what i do find interesting is that most of my musician friends listen to their music on gear barely above the evolutionary ladder from clock radios,and i guess that the lack of any musical talent on my part has fostered a lifelong interest in listening to others and the quest for the best possible avenue for that persuit is what led me to jbl,audio research,bryston,etc,and ultimately wilson audio and hopefully a stiff dose of krell is in the future.does that help?........gotta go dig up led zep 2........ramble on is going around in my head.............

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd like give 25k to Guido , Giskard, Riessen, Ian, Widget, Subwoof. I could imagine what they could design with those kind of $$$$$ Now that would be a speaker worth 25 k.
Rich:D :jawdrop:i live about a five minute drive from the ballet school your daughter?niece? attends so i'll see you when you are here.there is an english style pub not far from there and an irish one next door.25 k us is 29k and a couple of six packs in canuckistan funny money.....

:jawdrop:

Mr. Widget
05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I haven't kept up with this thread... and there is a remarkable level of noise so my patience for weeding through it just isn't up to the task, but am I getting this right? Jim spent a decent sum of money on a pair of non-JBLs and he is getting grief for it?

If that's the case... I had better change my avatar to a photo of my L100s and never mention what I listen to at home.

Widget

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I haven't kept up with this thread... and there is a remarkable level of noise so my patience for weeding through it just isn't up to the task, but am I getting this right? Jim spent a decent sum of money on a pair of non-JBLs and he is getting grief for it?

If that's the case... I had better change my avatar to a photo of my L100s and never mention what I listen to at home.

Widgetwell the jury's still out on that but id be interested to hear/see what you listen to at home

scott fitlin
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I would like to know more about how the Wilsons are working for you, Jim?

And, youll get no flak from me about what they are or arent, cause what they are mostly, is your choice, and thats fine with me.

And, they are supposed to be ALL THAT!

:)

scott fitlin
05-13-2007, 04:02 PM

WidgetCerwin-Vega?

richluvsound
05-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Jim ,

I went off half-cocked. I'm inclined to stick my foot in my mouth every now and then.:o: If the the sound moved you . GO FOR IT ! Perhaps a six pack and listern ? I would still love to here what the guys could come up with given that kind of cash !

Rich

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Jim ,

I went off half-cocked. I'm inclined to stick my foot in my mouth every now and then.:o: If the the sound moved you . GO FOR IT ! Perhaps a six pack and listern ? I would still love to here what the guys could come up with given that kind of cash !

Richno offense taken rich,what is it that you train people to do out in alberta

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 06:15 PM
for all you guys who fear a bad waf factor show her this one.now how do i get tha pic size down ...............

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 07:26 PM
cant make it work any more

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 07:45 PM
eureka..........this was my old tri amp set up

Robh3606
05-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Hello Jim

What was in it?? Looks like a DBX and the Pre looks familiar.

Rob:)

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 08:24 PM
audio research sp6a,3bx,audio arts 18 db per octave x over,sae tuner,sae 2200 power amp,bryston 4b,3b,denon dpl 3500w/infinity black widow arm,denon 103 s mc cartridge,and a pre pre that i cant remember and i dont want to go looking right now..........sound craftsman eq......but dont tell anyone

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
heres one for heather,downsizing didnt work

Titanium Dome
05-13-2007, 09:04 PM
.........sound craftsman eq......but dont tell anyone

I've got at least 18 Soundcraftsmen components. I still use the AS1000, several AE2000s, and the SAMII mics to do system calibration, and I've got bridged A200s pushing the 4430s. Then there's a complete Pro-Plus rack driving some L7s.

So your secret's safe with me.

jim campbell
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I've got at least 18 Soundcraftsmen components. I still use the AS1000, several AE2000s, and the SAMII mics to do system calibration, and I've got bridged A200s pushing the 4430s. Then there's a complete Pro-Plus rack driving some L7s.

So your secret's safe with me.i traded 4 good k 140's for that thing and im still kicking myself,as i never really used it anyway.........d'oh.........i think this was as close to entry level as they get,as i found later on that new they only sold for 300 bucks

richluvsound
05-14-2007, 02:38 AM
no offense taken rich,what is it that you train people to do out in alberta

I will be training carpentery and joinery apprentices for a mid sized contruction company in Edmonton. Canada,as here in the UK, seem to have a shortage of skilled trades people. It means I can afford to build, a studio-listerning room with an en-suite kitchen and bathroom.Whether thats on the Island or the place in France , who knows ?

Rich

SEAWOLF97
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
heres one for heather,downsizing didnt work

was this picture b4 or after his "Double Live Gonzo" album ?

jim campbell
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
was this picture b4 or after his "Double Live Gonzo" album ?oh my god is it that bad............the only celeb anyone ever compared me to was rock and roll buck zumhoff the pro wrassler

Thom
05-15-2007, 06:55 PM
In the very early 70's I new a lot of rock musicians (nobodies) and a friend was a very good friend of tower of power (they didn't know me but sometimes I was there) I was always amazed at what they (all the musicians) listened to music on. All of tower had pretty crummy Rectilinear. I always figured that listening to records must be like reading books to them. They knew what the music sounded like and when the record played they heard it live. That's the only explanation I could imagine.

I'll bet you hate not having those babys at home and listening to them.

remusr
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Jim - the snow is gone even in Calgary. Do you have them yet?

jim campbell
06-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Jim - the snow is gone even in Calgary. Do you have them yet?
most of the parts came today.missing the x over module that was left at the dealer with the shipping crates...........$250.00......to ship about 2 miles,and thats just for the 2 bases.watching the movers grunting and groaning with furniture straps was about the scariest thing i ever saw.will post pics if possible

Titanium Dome
06-18-2007, 01:42 PM
most of the parts came today.missing the x over module that was left at the dealer with the shipping crates...........$250.00......to ship about 2 miles,and thats just for the 2 bases.watching the movers grunting and groaning with furniture straps was about the scariest thing i ever saw.will post pics if possible

Hooray! I bet you're jazzed!

As for the grunting and groaning movers, better them than you. Speakers (and speaker bases) are more easily replaced than our backs.:thmbsup:

jim campbell
06-18-2007, 01:46 PM
watching those guys swing and sway as these things are top heavy and tippy when handled with straps. i had expected a smaller truck to back right up to the door and roll em right in.two guys lifting 500 lbs twice......down the ramp and up the stairs ......yeesh

richluvsound
06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Jim ,

Thats great news . Look forward to seeing some photo's.

all the very best, Rich

SEAWOLF97
06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Jim
you are gonna have to get up and going before the statute of limitations runs out. Can't use that snow excuse much longer.......:D

jim campbell
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
they came 2 weeks ago..........

Mr. Widget
06-28-2007, 09:17 AM
they came 2 weeks ago..........This has been a rather strange thread for such a seemingly simple topic... I think the point is we'd like to share in your experience and congratulate you on your exceptional purchase.

So you have now had them for two weeks. Are you happy with them? Are they all that you had hoped? How do they work in your room? I think these are the questions that most of us are curious about.

In any event, I hope you are happy with them and they work with your room etc. Congratulations on getting some outstanding speakers.

Widget

jim campbell
06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
moving them is a real pain as the bases are 500lbs apeice and there are eight other modules............the former owner is now on my back to take the shippng cases which i have no room for as they alone would fill a one ton cube van and then some.......

SEAWOLF97
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
wasnt trying to tweek you , Jim.

I think Widget summed up our inqusitiveness. We are looking foreward to your reviews.

remusr
07-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Jim, just to keep this alive.....so how do they sound? And what did you finally get to drive them with? Or is the fine Winnipeg summer weather keeping you from serious listening? I'm spending most of my time outside for sure!

John
06-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Jim, just to keep this alive.....so how do they sound? And what did you finally get to drive them with? Or is the fine Winnipeg summer weather keeping you from serious listening? I'm spending most of my time outside for sure!

What ever happened here. Did Jim take a walkabout???:applaud:

Mr. Widget
06-06-2008, 08:25 AM
What ever happened here. Did Jim take a walkabout???:applaud:Maybe after getting some Wilsons in his life he lost interest in Lansing? Yes, it could happen. :(
Though it won't happen to many of us die hard lead eared Lansingophiles. :applaud:

Widget