PDA

View Full Version : Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Pages : 1 [2]

lansingfan
04-09-2010, 05:27 AM
So if everyone here on LHF hates pretty much every band and artist that ever existed, I guess then everyone just plays pink noise for entertainment. :)

Rolling Stones
Who
Pink Floyd
John Lee Hooker
Steve Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
BB King
Walter Trout
Cream
Rory Gallagher
Doors.....

HeHe.:applaud:

sonofagun
04-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Pink Noise?

Thanks, I forgot that band - I don't like them either!

:barf:

Eaulive
12-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Rap, regeatton, "boyz bands", opera, country music.
In no specific order :barf:

sonofagun
02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Purple Eoeple Peters

02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Pink Noise?

Thanks, I forgot that band - I don't like them either!

I have their latest, it's on Sony Music label, titled "No Music, Not For Resale".
1 solid hour of Pink Noise.:eek:

Great for testing, since it does not suddenly change tracks to a 0dB tone, like some of my other test disks do.

1audiohack
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Pink Noise? Heard 'em unplugged live at Niagra Falls in 89, fully analog. Long term gig, I think they're still there.

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Pink Noise? Heard 'em unplugged live at Niagra Falls in 89, fully analog. Long term gig, I think they're stil lthere.

there are times when the FM is playing dreck (ABC123 -J5) and I run over to flip the dial to Pink Noise , much preferable. Little MichaelJ is a killer to these ears....tho the Canadian Beaver is catching up...:eek:

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2011, 04:52 PM
He was and is an excellent drummer, and was a decent front man for Genesis too. I think "incompetent hack" is a bit much. I saw him when he was playing drums on the Clapton tour in the 80's. Damn fine musician as long as he's kept away from the piano and the mic to sing his pop tunes. jblnut

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/05/phil-collins-apologizes-for-success-as-he-quits-music/

"Collins's career has brought him 13 hit singles, seven Grammys, and even an Academy Award for his work on the Disney musical movie Tarzan, winning in 1999 for best original song. "I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that. It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me," he said. Critics – and their harsh words – have emerged louder than the guitars of the modern rock era. Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher famously cut down the drummer in past years, quoted as saying, “You don't have to be great to be successful. Look at Phil Collins.”

He has been called "the Antichrist," the sellout who took Peter Gabriel's Genesis, that paragon of prog-rock, and turned it into a lame-o pop act and went on to make all those supercheesy hits that really did define the 1980s. So, he wants to move on.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/phil-collins-last-stand-why-the-troubled-pop-star-wants-to-call-it-quits-20110304

hjames
03-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but his work on the first two Brand X albums (Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll) were quite good - as was his early days in Genesis.
But yes his blue eyed soul and post-pop stuff is ... cheesey

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/05/phil-collins-apologizes-for-success-as-he-quits-music/
Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher famously cut down the drummer in past years, quoted as saying, “You don't have to be great to be successful. Look at Phil Collins.

brutal
03-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Didn't feel like commenting until now. I had never really heard her sing before, but after watching Saturday Night Live tonight, I'd have to say Miley Cyrus is probably the worst sounding pop star outside of 50% of the rappers. Her voice reminds me of the Munchkins in Wizard of Oz. The throat warble is very off putting.

We represent the Lullaby League...

and she looks like an oompa loompa.

sonofagun
03-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Narm Wrats

"course, I made that name up just like all the rest I've posted on this thread.

:nanana:

Ducatista47
03-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Didn't feel like commenting until now. I had never really heard her sing before, but after watching Saturday Night Live tonight, I'd have to say Miley Cyrus is probably the worst sounding pop star outside of 50% of the rappers. Her voice reminds me of the Munchkins in Wizard of Oz. The throat warble is very off putting.

We represent the Lullaby League...

and she looks like an oompa loompa.
One of the mysteries of the brain is the truthfulness of musical talent running in families. I have none, for instance. Poor Miley has her Dad's musical talent, which is to say less than mine.

As for her looks, my son says he wouldn't listen to her or any other Disney Channel "musician," but he wouldn't mind sleeping with her. Maybe physical attractiveness is even more subjective than musical taste.

16hz lover
11-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Metallica
prince
CCR

brutal
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Adding Insane Clown Posse to my list.

Just dumb. Really dumb. Really, really dumb.

Jugaloos. What a waste of a human life. http://vimeo.com/29589320

SEAWOLF97
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
whoever does the music (?) during the ChromeBook TV commerical, gawd it sucks ...sounds like 10 y.o's on crack ...:eek:

conversely , I really liked the band backing on the 2012 Kia Optima ad :applaud:,,,not the 2013 one tho ..:(

Dave_72
11-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Glenn Hughes-(Trapeze, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Black Country Communion)

Irritating vocals and average bass playing from this guy. He ruined Deep Purple, and he sings on the only Black Sabbath record that I'll never get.

40 plus years of crap!

gferrell
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Black Oak Arkansas, Good Ole Jim Dandy, my wife started a fight with him one night years ago after he blindsided me while I was dancing and we ran him and his band out of the club. The club never let them back in. That was way back in my younger days. Funny as h*ll

tomt
12-29-2012, 11:56 PM
i've had 'euff billy joel for this lifetime ...

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
i've had 'euff billy joel for this lifetime ...

no argument here ....and that little Canuk vocal terrorist. :eek:

modern country , Jesus rock .....sounds like it came out of a computer ...
auto tuned ? :crying:

tomt
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
....and that little Canuk vocal terrorist. :eek:

which one?

SEAWOLF97
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
which one?

da Beaver :eek:

SEAWOLF97
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I was reading (somewhere else) about how poorly ABBA is regarded.

Put itunes on auto today and it settled on ABBA ..some of their work is very good and quite catchy. Not so bad really.

esp liked : SOS , Chiquitta, Money Money , Fernando ...etc.

LRBacon
02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Tom, I also enjoy ABBA. I saw the stage production of Mama Mia in Las Vegas about 7-8 years ago and I really got a kick out of it. I think they over produced some of there songs to the extent that Phil Spector did to get that big "Wall Of Sound".

Larry

4313B
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I was reading (somewhere else) about how poorly ABBA is regarded.Yep, they're awful... :rolleyes:

The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 15 March 2010

In 1993, the ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits collection was released in the United States and has since become a seven-time platinum best-seller.

There must be alot of secret ABBA fans. ;)

Ducatista47
02-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Elton John and I have only one agreement re: music that I am aware of. We both feel ABBA's best song, musically, is Take A Chance On Me. If you are ever presented the old Olivia Newton-John TV special, they could do it as a barn burner live (if backed up by an orchestra, as they always were). As far as being a band, that is questionable. They tried one - just one - rock song, and it was flat pop. Dreadful.

The boys did a great job on the musical Chess. Having Elaine Paige sing it didn't hurt.

SEAWOLF97
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Tom, I also enjoy ABBA. I saw the stage production of Mama Mia in Las Vegas about 7-8 years ago and I really got a kick out of it. I think they over produced some of there songs to the extent that Phil Spector did to get that big "Wall Of Sound".

Larry

I don't go out of my way to acquire ABBA songs, but sometimes it's a nice break ....just got back from a long bike ride ....BeeGee's GH was on the pod , havnt heard them in a while, some of the tunes were like old friends from the past , similar to my ABBA feelings. Esp enjoyed "Lonely Nights" ;)

SEAWOLF97
02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
one of the fastest ways to get me to change a station is to play "Black Betty"

absolutely detest it ..but never bothered to find out what "group" :eek: was responsible.

something/somebody called "Ram Jam" ....yuk :barf: :die:

grumpy
02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
... then I suggest you do not watch "Kung Pow! Enter The Fist" ... lol.

(Actually, I don't -suggest- anyone watch it at all. Those that will don't need the suggestion)

Mark's JBLs
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Glenn Hughes-(Trapeze, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Black Country Communion)Irritating vocals and average bass playing from this guy. He ruined Deep Purple, and he sings on the only Black Sabbath record that I'll never get.40 plus years of crap!Wait..... Black Sabbath? you gotta be kidding. Talk about two chord (ok, I'll give'em credit make it 3.) wonders from 40 years ago.So, your saying Tommy Bolin was a bad guitar player? He was in Deep Purple with Hughes at that time.I will agree Glen Hughes is an average bass player.

SEAWOLF97
04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
no argument here ....and that little Canuk vocal terrorist. :eek:

which one?

jaybee

BeDome
05-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Yep, they're awful... :rolleyes:

The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 15 March 2010

In 1993, the ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits collection was released in the United States and has since become a seven-time platinum best-seller.

There must be alot of secret ABBA fans. ;)

While I remain an old hardcore blue jeaned rocker, long Pre-headbang era, etc. One of the many bands I had a (too short) 4 night sound job tour with was ABBA. I will always remember the afternoon I walked into the dressing area, looking for their manager to get some musicians out on stage for a sound check and was completely stunned at hearing their acapella warm-up exercises a couple of hours before the show.

I was absolutely stopped in my tracks and MOVED, seriously by the incredible sounds I was hearing.

WOW!

OT, I have a hard time listening to any of the modern "harmonically enhanced" vocals where it sounds almost like a keyboard sampling instead of a human voice.

SEAWOLF97
05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
jaybee

If one has to tell you they ARE an artist ...... , are they ? :dont-know:

Justin Bieber was booed at the Billboard Music Awards, despite winning two awards and performing twice.
The "Beauty and the Beat" singer was accepting the Milestone Award when the crowd seemed to erupt in boos. Looking a bit confused, Bieber went on to assert that he thinks only the "craft" and his music should be considered.

"This is not a gimmick," Bieber said. "I’m an artist and I should be taken seriously.”

Lee in Montreal
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
"This is not a gimmick," Bieber said. "... I should be taken seriously.”

So said his Cappucin monkey ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302868/Justin-Biebers-monkey-taken-mother-10-weeks-old.html

Dave_72
06-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Wait..... Black Sabbath? you gotta be kidding. Talk about two chord (ok, I'll give'em credit make it 3.) wonders from 40 years ago.So, your saying Tommy Bolin was a bad guitar player? He was in Deep Purple with Hughes at that time.I will agree Glen Hughes is an average bass player.

Sorry for the late response.

Black Sabbath is great, just not with Hughes.

Tommy Bolin was a great guitar player.

I wish he (Hughes) would like...retire, but he's seemingly everywhere in classic rock and old time heavy metal circles.

SEAWOLF97
06-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I understand that he is a great guitar player, but
sometimes Stevie Ray Vaughn seems annoying ,
repetitive and noisy. But Hendrix jams are sometimes
that way too.

Go ahead, get out your flame guns ...:flamer: , it's just my opinion.

hjames
06-29-2013, 10:48 AM
So said his Cappucin monkey ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302868/Justin-Biebers-monkey-taken-mother-10-weeks-old.html

Why do you have this THING for Justin Bieber?
Who bloody CARES what he is doing?
I swear I hear more about him from YOU than from anyone else in my circles
and that ain't good!

Just let it drop - wolf - he's just another teenybop idle like Shawn Cassidy
or any of those kids from back in our day ...
They ran out of steam on their own dime and sure didn't need our help to do so,
and so will he ...!

The thing that kicks me crazy is old hotlegs Rod Stewart doing The Great American Songbook for new fans ...
That 2 octave range of his whiskey voice doing all the classics - and people actually pay money to see/hear him ...
and brag about it afterwards!

I like his old rock stuff with Jeff Beck, with The Faces, and his old solo stuff,
but he doesn't have the voice to croon ... yet he's making tons of money doing so!!

THAT is amazing

Tim Rinkerman
06-29-2013, 12:54 PM
I once read an interview with Jeff Beck and they asked about a Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart reunion. Mr. Beck said.."Rod and I have a love/hate relationship...he loves me , and I hate him.." So much for that...!

tomt
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
jaybee

i don't think i'd heard any of his tunes.

he doesn't live very far from where i do,

maybe a mile ...

SEAWOLF97
03-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Developing negative reactions (over exposure ?) to BILLY JOEL and JIM CROCE

geeze, I gotta find some new classic oldies ... ;)

gferrell
03-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Developing negative reactions (over exposure ?) to BILLY JOEL and JIM CROCE

geeze, I gotta find some new classic oldies ... ;)

Play a little Fire Fall, well recorded and it will change your mood.

Horn Fanatic
03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
I have to go with Rush. Every time I hear Geddy Lee sing I want to grab him by the throat, bitch slap him, and tell him to STFU!

Then you have Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Bruce Springsteen, the "Biebs", Paris Hilton, and that skank Miley.

There you have it...

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2014, 03:56 PM
I have to go with Rush. Every time I hear Geddy Lee sing I want to grab him by the throat, bitch slap him, and tell him to STFU!

Then you have Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Bruce Springsteen, the "Biebs", Paris Hilton, and that skank Miley.

There you have it...

I CANNOT disagree with any of your selections ;)

Horn Fanatic
03-27-2014, 10:07 PM
I CANNOT disagree with any of your selections ;)

There is a fine line between awful and cool when it comes to a husky voice.

Michael Bolton: Awful

Tom Waits: Cool

Kim Carnes: Awful

Janis Joplin: Cool

Oh, and there is one more musician who makes me want to hurl. "Mr. Elevator Music", Kenny G. Gorlick for those who may remember his debut on the Jeff Lorber Galaxian album. The soprano sax was cool until he hit the charts. :-( Thank God he doesn't play a tenor.

As for the "Biebs". That kid will be yesterdays news if his balls ever drop.

I do have a favorite female singer at the moment, Melody Gardot. She's a smokin' hottie too! She overcame a personal tragedy that is worth reading about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFKKY5RHxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWY6W1dSvE

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWY6W1dSvE)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qphknagXqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDj-OVJ6hc

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM
I was out riding ,with the little Nano going (low) ..... I generally really like
THE YARDBIRDS , and recently had put their greatest hits on it.

After a while up comes one of the worst tunes that I've heard in a long time. :eek::eek:

HANG ON SLOOPY .... who even knew they covered it, much less it was a GH ? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a5mvXW8s-zE#t=90

(the studio version is even worse) :(

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2015, 12:13 PM
While Katy Perry is innocuous enough , and I'm pretty sure she didn't design that half-time mess , she certainly won't be on my fave artists list after my first exposure ...:eek:

looks like the press agreed:

Perry is an artistic light-weight. Her songs are catchy pop confections, sweet and frothy, but bereft of depth or even a hint of surprise. And while her stage attire for her concert tours has included pyrotechnic-equipped bras, she didn't bring any of them with her Sunday.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/feb/01/katy-perry-super-bowl-halftime-review/

Kim Carnes: Awful

Janis Joplin: Cool

Oh, and there is one more musician who makes me want to hurl. "Mr. Elevator Music", Kenny G. Gorlick for those who may remember his debut on the Jeff Lorber Galaxian album. The soprano sax was cool until he hit the charts. :-( Thank God he doesn't play a tenor.

As for the "Biebs". That kid will be yesterdays news if his balls ever drop.

There was a car commercial last Xmas where Bolton popped up in the back seat of the car singing (?) like some ghost, scaring the driver ..scared me too .

Kenny G ?? oh yuk

yeah, I enjoy JJ too.

Horn Fanatic
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
While Katy Perry is innocuous enough , and I'm pretty sure she didn't design that half-time mess , she certainly won't be on my fave artists list after my first exposure ...:eek:

There was a car commercial last Xmas where Bolton popped up in the back seat of the car singing (?) like some ghost, scaring the driver ..scared me too .

Kenny G ?? oh yuk

yeah, I enjoy JJ too.

Michael Bolton in the back seat? Yikes!

I'd rather deal with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-XEiUOjYE

LowPhreak
02-02-2015, 01:53 PM
I've been jaded for years on radio :biting:, it just sucks, I wish pirate radio would make a comeback or something equally refreshing. I cannot listen to it, & I try, at least once a week. I just loathe the commercials, way too aggressive. XM radio seems too idealized & therefore not like radio at all to me.

Hey Krunchy, try Radio Paradise. http://www.radioparadise.com

"RP is a blend of many styles and genres of music, carefully selected and mixed by two real human beings. You'll hear modern and classic rock, world music, electronica, even a bit of classical and jazz. What you won't hear are random computer-generated playlists or mind-numbing commercials.

Our specialty is taking a diverse assortment of songs and making them flow together in a way that makes sense harmonically, rhythmically, and lyrically — an art that, to us, is the very essence of radio.

Your grateful hosts, Bill & Rebecca Goldsmith"

Not sure if anyone has yet mentioned that King of Morons - Ted Nugent. Wango Tango? Seriously? :rolleyes:

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2015, 05:13 PM

I just came in from outside, doing something on 2 wheels (won't name the activity, so as not to piss off the OT intolerant one) ... the Nano was playing a Live Eagles concert. When they finished "Ol'e 55" , the speaker came on and mentioned that it was an old Tom Waits song. Said "Tom didn't much like our version, 'till he got the check , now we're good friends" ;)

audiomagnate
02-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Diana Krall/Patricia Barber. Too many hifi shows I guess.

DavidF
02-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Diana Krall/Patricia Barber. Too many hifi shows I guess.

Ahhh, it has been a very, very long time since I listened (at home) to DK. I do still listen to the PB tracks that aren't in evidence at the shows.

On a slight twist to the original post, in my late teen years I had a prejudiced dislike for Donovan due to his big hit Mellow Yellow and his over-the-top hippie persona. I picked up a used Donovan vinyl record on a whim just recently (Open Road 1970) and was startled in listening through the album. Granted it's a departure from his earlier style but I realized that the dude had talent far beyond my recollection. Apologies, Mr. Leitch.

SEAWOLF97
09-27-2017, 05:41 PM
I heard this for the first (and hopefully last) time yesterday. Sure puts a dent in his musical genius rep.

https://youtu.be/l7vRSu_wsNc

soundboy
09-27-2017, 07:27 PM
I heard this for the first (and hopefully last) time yesterday. Sure puts a dent in his musical genius rep.

https://youtu.be/l7vRSu_wsNc

I liked Prince, still do, Loved this song when it came out. Still like hearing it now and then. Brings back good memories :)
To each his own :)

SEAWOLF97
09-28-2017, 07:53 AM
I liked Prince, still do, Loved this song when it came out. Still like hearing it now and then. Brings back good memories :)
To each his own :)

Gorge has had a rough Summer. Getting any better now ?

hsosdrum
09-28-2017, 03:49 PM
The two artists who's music will make the change the radio channel 100% of the time (preferably before the song begins, while the DJ is still announcing it) are Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison. Both of their voices make my ass want to smoke a Lucky Strike.

Springsteen presents every single song as if it's an anthem, over-stressing the lyrics and bloating their importance way, way out of context. Rather than simply letting his songs be what they are, he forces them upon the listener. I just can't stand the guy's music and the way he presents it.

SEAWOLF97
09-28-2017, 04:15 PM
The two artists who's music will make the change the radio channel 100% of the time (preferably before the song begins, while the DJ is still announcing it) are Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison. Both of their voices make my ass want to smoke a Lucky Strike.

Springsteen presents every single song as if it's an anthem, over-stressing the lyrics and bloating their importance way, way out of context. Rather than simply letting his songs be what they are, he forces them upon the listener. I just can't stand the guy's music and the way he presents it.

I'm nearly in 100% agreement with your post, EXCEPT , I did co-exist with Van when he was with "Them". Their "Mystic Eyes" was really fine.

Them were a Northern Irish band formed in Belfast in April 1964, most prominently known for the garage rock standard "Gloria" and launching singer Van Morrison's musical career.[4] The original five member band consisted of Morrison, Alan Henderson, Ronnie Milling, Billy Harrison and Eric Wrixon. The group was marketed in the United States as part of the British Invasion.[5]
Them scored two UK hits in 1965 with "Baby, Please Don't Go" (UK #10) and "Here Comes the Night" (UK #2; Ireland #2). The latter song and "Mystic Eyes" were Top 40 hits in the US

BS ? I head something of his that I liked once, it was on FM and I didn't get the title or
ever hear it again. There was a fantastic all-star tribute concert for Roy Orbison that included BS.
He kept trying to push in front of Roy as if he was the main attraction. tird.*

Lately I've been on a nostalgia trip with "Rare Earth" . When they redid The Temptations material, they were very good. When doing their own, not so good. :p

There was a "Top Gear" episode where they raced the length of Vietnam on motorbikes. The guys had to buy them on the local economy.
There is always an insurance vehicle, in case one of them can't continue on theirs. It follows everywhere.

This insurance vehicle was a gaudy red, white and blue motobike with white stars , and American flags and had a PA speaker hooked up to a player doing a loop of "Born in the USA". Guaranteed to be a customer service killer over there.

hsosdrum
10-02-2017, 04:42 PM
That all-star concert tribute to Roy Orbison was originally broadcast on Cinemax and features the band that backed up Elvis during the 1970s, with James Burton on guitar and Ron Tutt on drums. The female backup singers were Jennifer Warnes, k d lang and Bonnie Raitt (!!!) Elvis Costello was one of the male backup singers, along with B.S. and many others. Pretty sure it's available on DVD. A great show! And it was shot in black-and-white.

Totally agree about Morrison with Them. I loved him back then.

SEAWOLF97
10-03-2017, 07:19 AM
That all-star concert tribute to Roy Orbison was originally broadcast on Cinemax and features the band that backed up Elvis during the 1970s, with James Burton on guitar and Ron Tutt on drums. The female backup singers were Jennifer Warnes, k d lang and Bonnie Raitt (!!!) Elvis Costello was one of the male backup singers, along with B.S. and many others. Pretty sure it's available on DVD. A great show! And it was shot in black-and-white.

have the CD , DVD and LP of that.

SEAWOLF97
10-06-2017, 01:35 PM
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/11/toby-keith-the-bus-songs/540654/?google_editors_picks=true

Fritz The Cat
07-02-2018, 12:46 AM
Björk sucks!

hsosdrum
07-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Björk sucks!

I must admit that Bjork is one of my all-time favorite female singers. I love how she is able to get so much out of her instrument. She sings, purrs, yelps, screams, yodels, laughs and cackles, but always with expression to bring as much meaning as she can to the lyrics. Plus, she is always pitch-perfect without requiring auto-tuning. She is one of the few singers who manages to send chills up my spine.

To each his own! ;)

SEAWOLF97
03-24-2019, 09:51 AM
While I agree with a lot of you on here, and agree that 99% of rap music is terrible, not ALL of it is terrible and some of it you may actually enjoy.

I kinda like "Ends" , I think it's maybe rap :dont-know:

https://youtu.be/nilfS1ZMzbw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ends_(song)

Triumph Don
03-24-2019, 04:17 PM

There you have it...

I am in complete agreement. My hate for Rush is very strong. When I hear that crap at work I have to get outta the room ASAP

Kay Pirinha
03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Sweet, T.Rex, Slade, Suzie Quatro and all that teeniebobber stuff...

I have to admit that I even bought a few 7" of the first two when I was a very young teenie in 1971. But in the same year LZ IV came out to point me to the right direction, followed by Yessongs in 1972...:p

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Sweet, T.Rex, Slade, Suzie Quatro and all that teeniebobber stuff...

I have to admit that I even bought a few 7" of the first two when I was a very young teenie in 1971. But in the same year LZ IV came out to point me to the right direction, followed by Yessongs in 1972...:p

Best regards!

Oh no :crying: , not T.Rex :eek:

Kay Pirinha
03-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Well, I was just under 12 years old then :crying:...

Btw, had forgotten all that Disco crap, Bee Gees and ABBA...

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Well, I was just under 12 years old then :crying:...

Btw, had forgotten all that Disco crap, Bee Gees and ABBA...

Best regards!

My daughter is a part time radio DJ in Whuppertal. in the 80's I let her take all my old LP's back to Germany as CD's were going to be "perfect sound forever" ...ha. :barf:

Anyway, she plays them on her program and is astounded at how much of the US/UK music was never heard over there.

My son is a full time internet record seller (with a psych masters degree from the Univ. of London) and ships a large number of US records to South America and around the world.

The groups that you call crap are back in demand. Esp the BG's.

I'm in Portland,Oregon and we have more record stores per capita than any major city in the US. Here it's very "hip" to be "spinning vinyl". I can resell about any TT that comes my way. :D

Gotta keep busy in retirement ;)

HCSGuy
03-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Weezer. Sorry, don’t mean to jump into the middle of a thread, but it’s driving me crazy, I’m out of town for the week, and my therapist isn’t answering his phone, so you guys get to hear me rant. I know nothing about Weezer, but apparently they have a cult following. But last year, they remade Toto’s “Africa”, not because they thought they could add something to it, just because some 14yr old kept bugging them to do it on twitter. What emerged was like the original on a light dose of Valium. I can’t tell you how many times the song would start on Pandora while I was working in my shop, only to have me figure out 20 seconds in that it isn’t the good version; it’s the Sh***y cover by Weezer.

Now, they’ve released another, similarly straight forward version of A-ha’s “Take on Me” - legendary song of the 80’s, probably best known because of the cleverly animated video and Morten Harket’s vocal range, which pretty much makes it impossible to sing along with once your testicles have dropped. Weezer’s lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, like us, can’t hit those notes either, and we’re left with another crappy cover that radio stations and Pandora will now play to death.

If you don’t have something creative to add, don’t ever remake a song that is another band’s calling card. And don’t ever record your version of a Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song (see Alice Chater), you just come out looking bad.

Kay Pirinha
03-26-2019, 02:31 AM
The groups that you call crap are back in demand. Esp the BG's.

Yes, I know that. But I only could guess why. Is it 'cause public interest in demanding music has all but vanished these days, in favour of easy listening schmalz and danceable boom-boom beats? Is it 'cause the major labels have completely resorted to well-selling mainstream? Is it 'cause all the more experimentally oriented labels that we knew from the 1960ies and 1970ies have shut down? I dunno...

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2019, 09:01 AM
....another crappy cover that radio stations and Pandora will now play to death.

If you don’t have something creative to add, don’t ever remake a song that is another band’s calling card.

If you run Pandora from a computer (or an app, I think) then "down thumb" a song and it'll never come back again. I run the "thumbprint radio" station and it only (mostly) plays songs that I've "up thumbed" in the past.

Certainly agree about "why bother" covers...there are some good ones tho (notibly Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" , made in his final years ) , there is a thread on "Better than the Original ??" ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?40881-Better-than-the-original

Kay Pirinha
04-13-2019, 02:49 AM
The Eagles. Intentionally installed as an antipode to intellectuals such as Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and even Johnny Cash, as the unsuccessful end of the Vietnam war was foreseeable for even the thickest US citizen in 1972. Hardly to decipher as a rock band at all.

I own one single (!) album. Hotel California, of course, as New Kid In Town is a really great song, but the only great one by them.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Yes, I know that. But I only could guess why. Is it 'cause public interest in demanding music has all but vanished these days...

Well, I have a theory (maybe not popular here, so I'll disguise the guilty to protect their evil ;) )

The USA has had a steady stream of bad news (usually from the g*vt, ie: D * T), the last * number of years , it comes in daily. Scams everywhere .. money,money,money ...who wouldn't want simpler times ??

The poor selection of current music certainly is a a factor, but I think also is a remembrance for a perceived "better time" (in the past).
In the 60's, the VN war only really affected few people in the country, but it did push the music greatly. The offerings of that period seemed more intense and real.
Even the easy going late 50's (one of the few periods of no wars) has many who prefer it to today's crap. I even enjoy the goofy 80's (The MTV years) , tho in limited doses.
The resurgence of records may even play a part, since they'd really been on the decline since the 90's, until the last 10 years or so :blink:

macaroonie
04-13-2019, 09:39 AM
I'm in Portland,Oregon and we have more record stores per capita than any major city in the US. Here it's very "hip" to be "spinning vinyl". I can resell about any TT that comes my way. :D

With that nice new Delph you could well be the hippest old fart in town . 🤔

SEAWOLF97
04-13-2019, 10:47 AM

With that nice new Delph you could well be the hippest old fart in town . 🤔

you've got the OF part right. ;) , but I'm tragically UNhip, pretty much laughing at trends/fads.

It's weird tho, in record stores or record shows, many of the younger guys like to talk music with me. :blink: , asking for recommendations. :dont-know:

Kay Pirinha
04-13-2019, 10:51 AM
In the 60's, the VN war only really affected few people in the country, but it did push the music greatly. The offerings of that period seemed more intense and real.

Totally agreed! That's exactly what I've meant wrt The Eagles vs. intellectual music output.

Best regards!

sdjblnut
04-13-2019, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=soundboy;151523]Being a long time pro guitarist, I tend to get irritable at anything that doesn't have any redeeming melodic content or talent. So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent. Ludacris, and the ilk, come to mind.

And, just to assure anyone I am not being racist....there isn't a single other black performer in Jazz, Blues, rock, that I dislike....ok, maybe Buddy Guy's sloppy overrated guitar licks....

[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more being a guitar picker myself, and in my opinion rap has always been disco in disguise.

Kay Pirinha
04-14-2019, 01:30 AM
Fully agreed to both of you regarding (c)rap :barf::barf::barf:

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2019, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=soundboy;151523]Being a long time pro guitarist, I tend to get irritable at anything that doesn't have any redeeming melodic content or talent. So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent. Ludacris, and the ilk, come to mind.

And, just to assure anyone I am not being racist....there isn't a single other black performer in Jazz, Blues, rock, that I dislike....ok, maybe Buddy Guy's sloppy overrated guitar licks....

[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more being a guitar picker myself, and in my opinion rap has always been disco in disguise.

Agree, with the exception of Buddy Guy. Try this one here! He seldom produced crap. We should not judge these artists too hypercritically, because they have to earn their money in the jungle of music business. Everytime (!) i try to play some of these guitar licks or everytime (!) i want to sing some tunes simultaneously while playing guitar (especially on stage), or everytime (!) if i have to play a 2 hours live set carrying the load of these ponderous guitars hanging around my shoulder, and (finally) everytime (!) i have to communicate easily with the public in the auditorium while playing and sweating, i everytime (!) have to admit, that i am not a big shot in this business and i should better sell my guitars. Yes, he is born to play the guitar. I am born to try to play the guitar...

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2019, 03:07 AM
YES or not YES, that's the question. Come on, tell it like it is! The blind spot is the limited vocal range of Jon Andersons voice. After half an hour of bearing this voice you have to surrender, no matter what the great bass player contributes. This was the big problem of YES, IMHO. If we are rather stressable, we may put an LP of the "Wiener Sängerknaben" on the turntable. (But i will not put the pickup onto it). Or one of the Bee Gees, during the disco times...

Kay Pirinha
04-14-2019, 04:20 AM
Sure, Chris Squire, who passed in 2015, was a great bass player with a tremendous sound and style, probably 2nd greatest after John Entwistle at all. But don't forget guitarist Steve Howe, imho the most giftest among the bunch - and severely underrated when it comes to tell the greatest guitarists of all time. He's capable of many, many different playing styles that he's able to call up just like on the push of a button.

Watch how he drives the band for more them three and a half minutes (3:05 to 6:45) in their rendition of Paul Simon's America, recorded for the New Age of Atlantic album in 1972:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JkTIKm2iY

Best regards!

Kay Pirinha
04-14-2019, 05:57 AM
The Carpenters!:blink:

Admittedly, the singer's voice isn't that bad at all. But those meaningless lyrics! And that ball-less music!! And the worst with them was their support for Richard Nixon in his presidential election campaign in 1972 where the singer proved herself as an overly childish, naive woman. Unbearable :barf::barf::barf:!

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-14-2019, 07:30 AM
So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent

Pete (Soundboy) is a friend from about an hour away. He misinterpreted my down thumb of Rush. It's not the guitar or melodies or production, it's the vocals.

Couple of other posters here have similar feelings on Rush.

I have to go with Rush. Every time I hear Geddy Lee sing I want to grab him by the throat, bitch slap him, and tell him to STFU.

I am in complete agreement. My hate for Rush is very strong. When I hear that crap at work I have to get outta the room ASAP

Fritz The Cat
04-14-2019, 08:01 AM
The Carpenters!:blink:

Admittedly, the singer's voice isn't that bad at all. But those meaningless lyrics! And that ball-less music!! And the worst with them was their support for Richard Nixon in his presidential election campaign in 1972 where the singer proved herself as an overly childish, naive woman. Unbearable :barf::barf::barf:!

Best regards!
It's the tragical destiny of most artists. It's not the artist who rules his career. The Carpenters sold several millions of LPs and singles. What do you prefer as a musician: to earn so much money as possible while generating a "suspect image" or to die as a forgotten reputable artist out of bread? They had no choice in the jungle of music business. They were in the stranglehold of the contracts. So, finally, the life of Karen Carpenter took this tragic ending in 1983. She is the victim of those bloodsuckers...

Fritz The Cat
04-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Another sad story: Elkie Brooks was one of the most powerful and iconic female rock voices with Vinegar Joe. And then this stranglehold by AM Records. AM Records was nasty. One track of this LP says everything: "Take your freedom" A4. Do it!

sdjblnut
04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=sdjblnut;421762]

Agree, with the exception of Buddy Guy. Try this one here! He seldom produced crap. We should not judge these artists too hypercritically, because they have to earn their money in the jungle of music business. Everytime (!) i try to play some of these guitar licks or everytime (!) i want to sing some tunes simultaneously while playing guitar (especially on stage), or everytime (!) if i have to play a 2 hours live set carrying the load of these ponderous guitars hanging around my shoulder, and (finally) everytime (!) i have to communicate easily with the public in the auditorium while playing and sweating, i everytime (!) have to admit, that i am not a big shot in this business and i should better sell my guitars. Yes, he is born to play the guitar. I am born to try to play the guitar...

Buddy Guy's far from rap! Blues players (ZZ Top, Clapton, BB King, etc) are great in my book. I'm from the rock generation, and Rap just was not music to me.

sdjblnut
04-15-2019, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Fritz The Cat;421769]

Buddy Guy's far from rap! Blues players (ZZ Top, Clapton, BB King, etc) are great in my book. I'm from the rock generation, and Rap just was not music to me.

Oh wait...Did Buddy do some rap at some point?

Fritz The Cat
04-15-2019, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=sdjblnut;421799]

No! Why should he?

SEAWOLF97
04-16-2019, 08:04 AM
Hey guys !!

somebody misread "crap" for "rap"

Agree, with the exception of Buddy Guy. Try this one here! He seldom produced crap.

easy to do since they are synonymous.

No! Why should he?

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2019, 09:10 AM
English agitation-polit-rock of the rather primitive species. Especially the voice of Edgar Broughton on their first album "Wasa Wasa" was a dark sign of apocalyptic uglyness. Definitively not a masterpiece (as noticed on front cover). After 50 years: this one has not passed the test of time.

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Hey guys !!

somebody misread "crap" for "rap"

Agree, with the exception of Buddy Guy. Try this one here! He seldom produced crap.

easy to do since they are synonymous.

Agree! Rap:crap-trap!

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2019, 09:32 AM
I would never buy, beg, borrow, steal or touch an LP of Gary Glitter. That's why i can't show you a foto as attachment here.

Kay Pirinha
04-16-2019, 10:00 AM
I'd expand that to the whole bullshit of glamrock/teeniepob adepts (Sweet, Slade, Suzie Quatro, T.Rex and whatever comes to mind...)

Keep your hands off any Chinn/Chapman production!

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-16-2019, 10:25 AM
I'd expand that to the whole bullshit of glamrock/teeniepob adepts (Sweet, Slade, Suzie Quatro, T.Rex and whatever comes to mind...)

sure, but even Bowie went thru his glam period. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrOvBuWJ-c

Kay Pirinha
04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
And that's exactly why I don't like him unreserved :p!

In the 1970ies, when I was younger and absolutely spezialized on Progressive, I couldn't stand him at all.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Best regards!

1970: dancing lessons for "Gymnasiasten": after having exercised the Wiener Walzer, the English Walzer, the Tango, Rumba and Cha Cha Cha, we had the questionable pleasure to learn the dancing steps of the "Beat" to the music of T. Rex' "Ride a white swan". Total fun! Celestial bliss! That's why i will always love this song (but only this one of T. Rex). I had to learn, not to try to ride a swan... Welch' schöne Zeiten!

Kay Pirinha
04-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Ok, agreed, Ride A White Swan really isn't bad at all, most probably 'cause it was prior to Bolan's androgynous glam aera.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Ok, agreed, Ride A White Swan really isn't bad at all, most probably 'cause it was prior to Bolan's androgynous glam aera.

Best regards!

I kinda like this one ==>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-G7-yLFmCQ

Fritz The Cat
04-16-2019, 11:27 PM

Best regards!

There are also little masterpieces in glam-rock and pop. It's not fair if we judge those times from the point of view of today. This is a part of the music history, even if we don't appreciate it.Tony Visconti was a producer with the magic touch for some gems. Also "Ziggy Stardust" was glam. The times then were relatively simple and pure. As we were too. And we were lucky with the situation then...

Kay Pirinha
04-17-2019, 01:02 AM
In my very early youth I've also bought 7" of T.Rex and Sweet. Only one or two of each, though. But I soon abandoned them when I came to Led Zeppelin and finally to Progressive Rock (Yes, Gentle Giant, early (!) Genesis, VdGG, ELP, Caravan, Camel etc.). Since that time (early 1970ies) I knew that glam was BS, and I really was ashamed of having liked teeniepop earlier.

Best regards!

Kay Pirinha
04-17-2019, 01:08 AM
The Bee Gees :blink::blink::blink:!

They've had several changes in their style, just to remain exactly in the middle of mainstream. No experiments, no meaningful lyrics, no complex rhythm patterns, nothing at all. But the worst was their attitude to disco. The culmination of crap :barf::barf::barf:! See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FEbFLsA59M

Best regards!

RSWRecording
04-17-2019, 05:21 PM
I would never buy, beg, borrow, steal or touch an LP of Gary Glitter. That's why i can't show you a foto as attachment here.

Haha Same!

Fritz The Cat
04-18-2019, 12:24 AM

Best regards!
Does anybody have a problem with bullshit? Bullshit is natural. It's better than that disastrous plastic garbage on the fields beside the highways. Flowers grow better with dung supply! Pay attention not to step on it! Einen schönen Frühling wünscht Euch allen Musikfans Fritz the Cat!

Kay Pirinha
04-18-2019, 01:02 AM
Do you want to grow flowers at yout TT :D?

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-18-2019, 03:02 AM

Best regards!

In my house there are 4 TT, but no dung!

Fritz The Cat
04-18-2019, 03:16 AM

Best regards!

PS: Funky Dung! Soon, there will grow many flowers on my TT. Or only grass...

SEAWOLF97
04-18-2019, 07:09 AM
How's this??

Rob:)

perfect for those artist/groups that have gone in the toilet !!!!!!

Does anybody have a problem with bullshit? Bullshit is natural. It's better than that disastrous plastic garbage on the fields beside the highways. Flowers grow better with dung supply! Pay attention not to step on it! Einen schönen Frühling wünscht Euch allen Musikfans Fritz the Cat!

Kay Pirinha
04-18-2019, 10:08 AM
PS: Funky Dung! Soon, there will grow many flowers on my TT. Or only grass...

Hopefully, you won't declare Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd as an album/a band you can't stand, will you?

Ok, PF surely had their artistic and creative culmination exactly in those times. Sadly, from The Dark Side on they began to replace creativity by blatant commerce and to resort to pompous stadium rock :barf:.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Ok, PF surely had their artistic and creative culmination exactly in those times. Sadly, from The Dark Side on they began to replace creativity by blatant commerce and to resort to pompous stadium rock :barf:.

Best regards!

I'm a WYWH fan. Have it on the 5 disk experience set , the quad disk was better sounding than the 5.1 to me.

Have heard the Experience set of DSOM , understand that the tape used to cut the original LP was 3rd gen. Can heard mistakes and little audible helps that the band gave each other while recording in the remastered disks.

Fritz The Cat
04-18-2019, 10:09 PM
Hopefully, you won't declare Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd as an album/a band you can't stand, will you?

Best regards!

Look at my 22 posts in the thread "What's playing now" concerning PF! ("Search thread" function)

Kay Pirinha
04-19-2019, 01:01 AM
I enjoy any PF album up to '72 Obscured By Clouds, but then :blink::crying::blink:...

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2019, 10:51 AM
I enjoy any PF album up to '72 Obscured By Clouds, but then :blink::crying::blink:...

Best regards!

I HAD this album , probably tied with Wonderwall for worst that I've ever heard. :eek:

jblnut
04-19-2019, 11:31 AM
I'll keep my wonderful memories of pompous stadium rock with PF, thank you very much. Both the Delicate Sound and Division Bell tours were among the most amazing live shows I have ever seen. The sonics were tremendous, the lighting amazing and Gilmour's guitar sound...like nothing I have ever heard before or since.

You can have your acid-laced incoherent early PF albums...no thanks.

:-)

jblnut

Fritz The Cat
04-19-2019, 11:46 PM
It's not the question if i can stand "Jefferson Starship" or not. In fact i can't UNDERstand the motivation of these superb musicians to produce this synthesizer-Lynn drum-polluted "middle of the road" productions. Over-and mis-produced by Ron Nevison and Peter Wolf. The vocals of Grace Slick are monotonous and lacking character. Assembly line production for the big US music market. I can't stand any uninspired and dumb bombastic music. Even the art work on inner sleeve is stupid. Consequently Kantner left after this one. Sadly too late. We don't need a starship lacking a competent commander if we can fly in an airplane with superb pilots.

Kay Pirinha
04-20-2019, 02:01 AM
Assembly line production for the big US music market. I can't stand any uninspired and dumb bombastic music.

Well said :applaud::applaud::applaud:!

Could also be applied to PF from The Dark Side Of The Moon on :D.

Perhaps we'd better enjoy this one:

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-21-2019, 12:46 AM
In general: Free Jazz is an "enfant terrible"! I can't stand this cacophony even for 2 or 3 minutes. Live is too short to listen to an album like that. My ears say NO! My brain says NO. My wife says NO!

Fritz The Cat
04-21-2019, 01:36 AM
Everything this man did SOLO is nearly unbearable. In this Original Soundtrack he screams for help drowning underneath mountains of synthesizers. Squeaking Jon Anderson came quickly for support. John Paul Jones plus Jon Anderson: both together hysterically screaming for help. The help by Jimmy Page, Madeline Bell and John Renbourne was useless. Help!

Kay Pirinha
04-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Just heard it at German radio station NDR1 while we were dining at the balcony: Christopher Cross :blink::blink::blink:!

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. All in all, exactly the same arguments that have been said before about/against Jefferson Starship :barf:.

Best regards!

BMWCCA
04-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Just heard it at German radio station NDR1 while we were dining at the balcony: Christopher Cross :blink::blink::blink:!

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least.I suppose to assess "any demand" you'd better ask the German radio station that is resurrecting 40-year-old American hits! How old are you? Ever heard of "nostalgia"? One of the reasons some of us enjoy 50-year-old underpowered German cars that rust so badly, at night you can hear the tin-worms working on their chassis. Simpler times. Good memories?

Certainly time and musical tastes have passed him by but, at the time:
Cross released his self-titled debut album, Christopher Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Cross_(album)), in 1979. The Billboard Hot 100 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Hot_100) top 20 hits from this album included "Ride Like the Wind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_Like_the_Wind)" (featuring backing vocals by Michael McDonald (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_McDonald_(singer))), "Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))", "Never Be the Same (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Be_the_Same_(Christopher_Cross_song))", and "Say You'll Be Mine" (featuring backing vocals by Nicolette Larson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolette_Larson)). . . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony, bringing home Record of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Record_of_the_Year) ("Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))"), Album of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year) (Christopher Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Cross_(album))), Song of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Song_of_the_Year) ("Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))"), and Best New Artist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_New_Artist) at the 23rd Annual Grammy Awards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Annual_Grammy_Awards)

Or maybe we welcome any opportunity to listen to Nicolette—may she rest in peace.
;)

SEAWOLF97
04-21-2019, 03:29 PM
. .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony,,,

so,,,,,, by that logic .... awards=quality :confused:

IF I were so inclined to search for it, there may be great artists that we love who have zero grammys.

Milli Vanilli became one of the most popular pop acts in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with millions of records sold. However, their success quickly turned to infamy when Morvan, Pilatus, and their agent Sergio Vendero confessed that Morvan and Pilatus did not sing any of the vocals heard on their music releases. The duo ended up giving back the Grammy Award for Best New Artist.

this is a personal opinion thread, not a what artist has the most or biggest, thread.

BMWCCA
04-21-2019, 07:21 PM
I should have expected you'd take issue with any reply from me. I'll say "blue", you'd say "green".

My response was to Kay's question "is there any demand for it...", rhetorical, or not.

Obviously there was, and apparently still is—judging by the fact that a German radio station is playing it today.

Not a favorite group of mine, or artist, and not opposing them being nominated for this thread. Just a reply.

Carry on.

Kay Pirinha
04-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Certainly time and musical tastes have passed him by but, at the time:
Cross released his self-titled debut album, Christopher Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Cross_(album)), in 1979. The Billboard Hot 100 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Hot_100) top 20 hits from this album included "Ride Like the Wind (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_Like_the_Wind)" (featuring backing vocals by Michael McDonald (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_McDonald_(singer))), "Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))", "Never Be the Same (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Be_the_Same_(Christopher_Cross_song))", and "Say You'll Be Mine" (featuring backing vocals by Nicolette Larson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolette_Larson)). . . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony, bringing home Record of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Record_of_the_Year) ("Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))"), Album of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year) (Christopher Cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Cross_(album))), Song of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Song_of_the_Year) ("Sailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_(Christopher_Cross_song))"), and Best New Artist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_New_Artist) at the 23rd Annual Grammy Awards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Annual_Grammy_Awards)

Grammy awards (same as academy awards, btw) are given just for maximum sales numbers, aren't they? That is, the probability of achieving such an award is just a factor of how one manages to adress the mass audiences, of how close his/her product is to the mainstream? Do you presume that the masses have any clue about musical/artistic quality? That they are even able, or willing, to listen to music concentratedly? So, are Grammy awards really a benchmark when it goes to quality? It's the quality vs. quantity debate, isn't it?

Yes, the mentioned German radio station adresses the mainstream, and only that one. It's really not what we call a cultural channel with demanding, intelligent contents.

And Ride Like The Wind: :barf::barf::barf::barf: There's just nothing happening in this one! Nothing that adresses the brain directly.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-21-2019, 11:40 PM

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. All in all, exactly the same arguments that have been said before about/against Jefferson Starship :barf:.

Best regards!

Pop for the masses. Throwaway mentality. Another pink MOR production for the incredibly huge US music market. Even the guitar solos of Steve Lukather in "All right" B1 and Cross himself in "Words of wisdom" B5 are impersonal mass products. Two main problems: 1.) eunuch vocals 2.) produced by Michael Omartian.
Typical smooth pop production of the 80ies. One of those LPs i can't stand listening for more than one or two tracks. "Words of wisdom" speaks for itself: "I can hear your voice and i have no choice.....". But the front cover art shows a real beauty. That's why i will keep this one...

Kay Pirinha
04-22-2019, 01:09 AM
I swear: Never ever will I throw any money out of the window for Cristopher Crap/Cross!

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-22-2019, 06:40 AM
My response was to Kay's question "is there any demand for it...", ....

Carry on.

seems like maybe the whole sentence wasn't read ?? (a reply that wasn't needed ??) :dont-know:

I'm wondering who really needs this kind of nothing. Is there really any demand for it, except for elevator companies or operators maybe? Crap to the power of three. At least. There's not a grain of substance at all. Just boring, not to say annoying. !

I doubt that anyone "demanded it" , rather .. stations just have "airtime" to fill and lots of "filler" gets played despite no demand (except in elevators :) )

I should have expected you'd take issue with any reply from me. I'll say "blue", you'd say "green".

that one is backwards

Grammy awards (same as academy awards, btw) are given just for maximum sales numbers, aren't they? That is, the probability of achieving such an award is just a factor of how one manages to adress the mass audiences, of how close his/her product is to the mainstream? Do you presume that the masses have any clue about musical/artistic quality? That they are even able, or willing, to listen to music concentratedly? So, are Grammy awards really a benchmark when it goes to quality? It's the quality vs. quantity debate, isn't it?

Yes, the mentioned German radio station adresses the mainstream, and only that one. It's really not what we call a cultural channel with demanding, intelligent contents.

Best regards!

Pop for the masses. Throwaway mentality. Another pink MOR production for the incredibly huge US music market.

I swear: Never ever will I throw any money out of the window for Cristopher Crap/Cross!

Best regards!

appears nearly unanimous agreement on lack of demand for CC musik.

I just checked my iTunes library and only found 1 CC song ... "Sailing", which was "OK" back in the day (to help you sleep). It did not get transferred to my little bike riding buddy Nano tho. :)

Kay Pirinha
04-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Everything this man did SOLO is nearly unbearable.

In summer '17 we saw JPJ live and open air performing with a bunch of Norwegian musicians at Wuerzburg, Germany. As LZ fan, I had certain expectations for sure. What a dissapointment! The music we heard was cacophony, at it's best. Synthesizers, synthesizers, and synthesizers, drum machine, and some alienated, ugly distorted bass guitar. We left, together with many others, during the break inmidst the set. I guess the remainig audience was not more than half as it was at the beginning. No thanks, never will see him again.

OTOH, I appreciate his work as a member of LZ (with the exception of ITTOD...).

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-22-2019, 09:28 AM
In summer '17 we saw JPJ live and open air performing with a bunch of Norwegian musicians at Wuerzburg, Germany. As LZ fan, I had certain expectations for sure. What a dissapointment! The music we heard was cacophony, at it's best. Synthesizers, synthesizers, and synthesizers, drum machine, and some alienated, ugly distorted bass guitar. We left, together with many others, during the break inmidst the set. I guess the remainig audience was not more than half as it was at the beginning. No thanks, never will see him again.

OTOH, I appreciate his work as a member of LZ (with the exception of ITTOD...).

Best regards!

Robert Plant is capable to respect his own limits. That's why he refuses to accompany once again Led Zeppelin things. Wise approach!

SEAWOLF97
04-22-2019, 09:34 AM
I greatly admire Jimmy Pages work with LZ , BUT ..

the last time I saw him (tho on TV) was at the Beijing Olympics opening (closing ?)
ceremony playing atop a parade float like some kind of decoration , completely
drowned out by the other music/sounds. It was kind of a pathetic image.

Kay Pirinha
04-22-2019, 09:50 AM
the last time I saw him (tho on TV) was at the Beijing Olympics opening (closing ?)
ceremony playing atop a parade float like some kind of decoration , completely
drowned out by the other music/sounds. It was kind of a pathetic image.

Right, this was part of the announcement for the succeeding 2012 Summer Olympics at London.

I think JP has retired as a musician and completely resorted to administering the LZ heritage.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Sorry, USA, but this one is also an incredible US-MOR jazz production. This guitar player was one of the best! But what crap did he (synthesize) produce! A typical child of the 80ies. It's the same miserable story we know from those capable guitar players/entertainers as George Benson, Pat Metheny and all these formidable vocalists as Bobby Mc Ferrin, Al Jarreau et al. What waste of talents in USA, just for the money...
Don't listen to "I heard it through the grapevine" B2. It's the ultimate sin...

BMWCCA
04-22-2019, 04:34 PM

My assumption was that this is a conversation open to all forum members and you are asking legitimate question. I'm happy to supply some answers. Please note I am not arguing whether the music you chose to nominate in this thread is vapid—or not!

But, since you asked:
GRAMMY AWARDS VOTING PROCESS
The process begins with members and record companies submitting entries, which are then screened for eligibility and category placement. The Academy's voting members, all involved in the creative and technical processes of recording, then participate in (1) the nominating process that determines the five finalists in each category; and (2) the final voting process which determines the GRAMMY winners.

Kay Pirinha
04-23-2019, 12:13 AM
Most probably you're right. Most probably you, as an United Statesian, have more clue than me about the Grammy. Anyway, the outcome of processes like these directly leads to the suspicion that sales numbers are the main, or sole, driver.

Here in Europe we also have similar dubious events. They also adress the mainstream and aim at huge sales numbers (and should be avoided by those who prefer music as an artistic event over music as an industrial product).

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-23-2019, 01:38 AM
Hate: MOR, stadium rock, not playing rock'n'roll in the 80ies, over-produced in the 80ies, "no street credibility" (whatever this may have meant to be),...
Love: Cover art, vocal harmonies, distinctive lead vocals, superb musicians, songs with melodies, the records in the seventies. So this 2LP compilation shows the "rock'n roll"-decade indeed, recorded from 1971 until 1979. "157 Riverside Avenue" C3 shows their rough live qualities.

Kay Pirinha
04-23-2019, 02:08 AM
In general, the most creative, experimental, fruitful, diversified, and artistic decade in popular and rock music was between 1965 (with The Beatles' Rubber Soul and Revolver albums) and 1975. Then, with the advent of disco music and punk, the downhill commenced. Music was to degenerate, options of higher quality disappeared almost completely, and this degeneration even accelerated dramatically in the 1080ies when polyphonic synthesizers became affordable and swamped the market. No more real drums, no more imaginative guitar soli, no more Hammond organs and pianos, no more Mellotrons, just boring drum machines and synthesized noisiness. Uglyness in persona!

Best regards!

BMWCCA
04-23-2019, 05:10 AM
Most probably you're right. Most probably you, as an United Statesian, have more clue than me about the Grammy. Anyway, the outcome of processes like these directly leads to the suspicion that sales numbers are the main, or sole, driver.

I don't disagree. My quote was the result of a Google search. If it is on the Internet, it must be true! :rolleyes:

Fritz The Cat
04-23-2019, 07:42 AM
I don't disagree. My quote was the result of a Google search. If it is on the Internet, it must be true! :rolleyes:

Haha. You must be joking. Scherzkeks! Internet and truth? When www was developed at CERN/Geneva/Switzerland in 1989 everybody thought, that there will never ever be something wrong with it...

SEAWOLF97
04-23-2019, 08:19 AM
The process begins with members and record companies submitting entries, which are then screened for eligibility and category placement. The Academy's voting members, all involved in the creative and technical processes of recording, then participate in (1) the nominating process that determines the five finalists in each category; and (2) the final voting process which determines the GRAMMY winners.

. . .Cross is currently the only artist in Grammy history to win all four General Field awards in a single ceremony,

so, if that's the process AND CC's massive victory is correct , how did that happen ????? Was he so much better than everyone else ? Was it a bad year for the competition ? Was it rigged ? Was this just an outlier ?

SEAWOLF97
04-23-2019, 08:37 AM
So this album was a huge seller , I see copies everywhere.

People evidently expected Simon & Garfunkle music , but if you look at the track listing,
there really is little new from S&G (who i do enjoy) , so .... did mostly the cover sell the album ??? (almost all their songs were available on other albums)

OBTW: much of the film was shot in my hometown , us locals kinda laughed at the geography inconsistencies.

According to a 2008 Vanity Fair piece by Sam Kashner about the making of the film, progress on the music was not smooth. The meticulous Simon managed to complete only one song, “Punky’s Dilemma,” which Nichols rejected for use in the movie.

However, Nichols and his editor Sam O’Steen proceeded with the cutting of the picture using extant Simon & Garfunkel numbers as temp tracks: “The Sound of Silence,” the 1965 number that became the act’s breakthrough hit (after a remix by producer Tom Wilson that added a rock bottom to the song); the English folk adaptation “Scarborough Fair/Canticle” and Simon’s “The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine,” both from the 1966 album “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme”; and the “Scarborough Fair” single B-side “April Come She Will.”

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/the-graduate-soundtrack-50th-anniversary-mrs-robinson-1202663554/

BMWCCA
04-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Haha. You must be joking. Scherzkeks! Internet and truth? When www was developed at CERN/Geneva/Switzerland in 1989 everybody thought, that there will never ever be something wrong with it...
We all know Al Gore invented the Internet.
George Bush, however, was responsible for The Internets.

Fritz The Cat
04-23-2019, 09:40 AM
So this album was a huge seller , I see copies everywhere.

People evidently expected Simon & Garfunkle music , but if you look at the track listing,
there really is little new from S&G (who i do enjoy) , so .... did mostly the cover sell the album ??? (almost all their songs were available on other albums)

OBTW: much of the film was shot in my hometown , us locals kinda laughed at the geography inconsistencies.

According to a 2008 Vanity Fair piece by Sam Kashner about the making of the film, progress on the music was not smooth. The meticulous Simon managed to complete only one song, “Punky’s Dilemma,” which Nichols rejected for use in the movie.

However, Nichols and his editor Sam O’Steen proceeded with the cutting of the picture using extant Simon & Garfunkel numbers as temp tracks: “The Sound of Silence,” the 1965 number that became the act’s breakthrough hit (after a remix by producer Tom Wilson that added a rock bottom to the song); the English folk adaptation “Scarborough Fair/Canticle” and Simon’s “The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine,” both from the 1966 album “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme”; and the “Scarborough Fair” single B-side “April Come She Will.”

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/the-graduate-soundtrack-50th-anniversary-mrs-robinson-1202663554/

The post concerning S&G is another one. This one is about REO Speedwagon.

Kay Pirinha
04-25-2019, 10:22 AM
I don't know if they were mentioned yet: The Electric Light Orchestra :blink::blink::blink:. This band emerged form the remainders of The Move, a Birmingham band that had several UK hits in the 1960ies. ELO started with the lofty ambitions to proceed where The Beatles had ended. And indeed, their debut, which was taped down in the same sessions as The Move's final Message From The Country album btw, was an amazing, venerable effort. But with the demise of Ron Wood, an overly talented multi-instrumentalist and gifted songwriter, Jeff Lynne took over and consequently shifted the band to blatant mainstream, commercialism, over produced, pompous, but hollow bombast. Here's an example:

83944 83945

I've bought it used, so I didn't support JL :D.

Track A3, as the title warns you, is the personified evil :barf:!

I guess they have/had great success in the big US mass market?

In general, you'd better avoid any Jeff Lynne production, as they all sound the same :crying: :barf:.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
04-25-2019, 11:49 AM
I don't know if they were mentioned yet: The Electric Light Orchestra :blink::blink::blink:. This band emerged form the remainders of The Move, a Birmingham band that had several UK hits in the 1960ies. ELO started with the lofty ambitions to proceed where The Beatles had ended. And indeed, their debut, which was taped down in the same sessions as The Move's final Message From The Country album btw, was an amazing, venerable effort. But with the demise of Ron Wood, an overly talented multi-instrumentalist and gifted songwriter, Jeff Lynne took over and consequently shifted the band to blatant mainstream, commercialism, over produced, pompous, but hollow bombast. Here's an example:

83944 83945

I've bought it used, so I didn't support JL :D.

Track A3, as the title warns you, is the personified evil :barf:!

I guess they have/had great success in the big US mass market?

In general, you'd better avoid any Jeff Lynne production, as they all sound the same :crying: :barf:.

Best regards!
No, not Ron Wood . It was Roy Wood, the wizzard!

Kay Pirinha
04-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Yes, of course you're right. It was Roy Wood, former fiancé of Annie Haslam, btw, whom I mentioned in another thread. Renaissance's Trip To The Fair (from Sheherazade and Other Stories) was dedicated to him.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-29-2019, 05:38 PM
an old fave , saw them do it live in '68

BUT, was reading a review of the 40th anniversary reissue and saw this about a speed problem.

Speed discrepancy

The 40th Anniversary mix of the debut album presents a stereo version of "Light My Fire" in speed-corrected form for the first time. The speed discrepancy (being about 3.5% slow) was brought to Bruce Botnick's attention by Brigham Young University professor Michael Hicks, who noted that all video and audio live performances of the Doors performing the song, the sheet music, and statements of band members show the song in a key almost a half step higher (key of A) than the stereo LP release (key of A♭/G♯). Until the 2006 remasters, only the original 45 RPM singles ("Light My Fire" and "Break On Through") were produced at the correct speed.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_My_Fire

have any of you heard the corrected version ??? impressions ???

Fritz The Cat
04-29-2019, 11:15 PM
an old fave , saw them do it live in '68

BUT, was reading a review of the 40th anniversary reissue and saw this about a speed problem.

Speed discrepancy

The 40th Anniversary mix of the debut album presents a stereo version of "Light My Fire" in speed-corrected form for the first time. The speed discrepancy (being about 3.5% slow) was brought to Bruce Botnick's attention by Brigham Young University professor Michael Hicks, who noted that all video and audio live performances of the Doors performing the song, the sheet music, and statements of band members show the song in a key almost a half step higher (key of A) than the stereo LP release (key of A♭/G♯). Until the 2006 remasters, only the original 45 RPM singles ("Light My Fire" and "Break On Through") were produced at the correct speed.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_My_Fire

have any of you heard the corrected version ??? impressions ???

Have any of you heard the speed discrepancy? Is there any electronic tuner in our brain? I personally am not able to recognize a speed discrepancy of 3,5 %. Do i have a serious deficiency? (P.S: after 10 years of music studies in violin and guitar playing in my early years i still am able to tune those strings with the help of my memorised (A) 440 oscillations "tuner" in my brain. But i must confess, that i never ever was able to recognize a discrepancy between A minor or A major and A (440) while listening to LP, CD or 45rpm of different issues of a song.) But after 50 years my ears and my heart still are able to enjoy the magical intensity of the 45rpm version of "Light my fire"! And i might swear, that my cheap turntable i owned in 1968 didn't play exactly at 45rpm. Did that matter? Does that matter now? 3,5% ????

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Have any of you heard the speed discrepancy? Is there any electronic tuner in our brain? I personally am not able to recognize a speed discrepancy of 3,5 %. Do i have a serious deficiency?

maybe . many on forums have noticed, and I have too, that the album version sounds a little draggy. The discrepancy is a difference in how it should sound and how it does. IF you had not heard the original , there is no way to know it's not exactly correct .... just like the problems with Abraxas and FM's "Oh Well" ... ie: what you've heard all these years, you ASSUME to be the correct and true rendering.

don't believe it ? search on it. many notice the difference between the 45 and the album copy of the same version.

I have not heard the 40th anniversary corrected track, but am trying to find it .. just to see if a difference is apparent to me.

Kay Pirinha
04-30-2019, 09:52 AM
don't believe it ? search on it. many notice the difference between the 45 and the album copy of the same version.

That's astonishing, as you live in the 60 Hz world. Here with our 50 Hz a difference of 1/400 (=0.25 %) between 33.333... and 45 rpm versions is quite normal.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2019, 10:19 AM
That's astonishing, as you live in the 60 Hz world. Here with our 50 Hz a difference of 1/400 (=0.25 %) between 33.333... and 45 rpm versions is quite normal.

Best regards!

and I thot you guys had better gear/power than we do*. ;) BUT in my post it is about a 3.5% slow difference. 96.5% vs. 100% . You can't hear that ?

It was enough for them to correct it on the 40th aniv. release.

doubt that I could hear 0.25 either. :dont-know:

* actually I do monitor our wall power, for 120v..it can go high as 122 or low as 118.

Here with our 50 Hz a difference of 1/400 (=0.25 %) between 33.333... and 45 rpm versions is quite normal.
Best regards!

where does this 1/400 number come from ??

Kay Pirinha
04-30-2019, 11:13 AM
doubt that I could hear 0.25 either. :dont-know:

Most probably you won't :D.

The deviation has nothing to do with mains stability. The cause are strobe markings. For 45 rpm, we in the 50 Hz world need 6000/45 = 133.33... line pairs on the platter's rim, which isn't possible, of course. Hence 133 markings result in a speed that is 0.25 % too fast.

Your TT's have 7200/45 = 160 line pairs @ 45 rpm, an integer.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Most probably you won't :D.

The deviation has nothing to do with mains stability. The cause are strobe markings. For 45 rpm, we in the 50 Hz world need 6000/45 = 133.33... line pairs on the platter's rim, which isn't possible, of course. Hence 133 markings result in a speed that is 0.25 % too fast.

Your TT's have 7200/45 = 160 line pairs @ 45 rpm, an integer.

Best regards!

gotcha

strobe markings generally indicate a DD table ? IF so, can't you adjust for a slightly slower speed ? (I guess, if it bothered you ?)

most * BD tables indicate to me .. no strobe or adjustment.

* I have had a Dual BD with strobe & adjustment. (hence most)

XTRA & OT : I did get the correct DIN plug for the ADC arm and can now continue with the generous setup instructions from Mac for the Delphi. Going to put an Ohm meter on the leads first and verify it.

Kay Pirinha
04-30-2019, 12:43 PM
No, they don't. I own belt driven as well as idler wheel TT's that have strobe markings. The important thing is where the strobe lamp is fed from. When fed from the mains supply, we have the phenomenon that I've been telling about. If the strobe is lit from an internal quartz oscillator, which indeed might indicate a DD TT, the issue isn't present.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2019, 03:08 PM
No, they don't. I own belt driven as well as idler wheel TT's that have strobe markings. The important thing is where the strobe lamp is fed from. When fed from the mains supply, we have the phenomenon that I've been telling about. If the strobe is lit from an internal quartz oscillator, which indeed might indicate a DD TT, the issue isn't present.

Best regards!

Just got back from a ride and was thinking abt your answer, and decided that a quartz locked (as at least many Technics are) , then the v/hz should not matter :confused: , but you rather beat me to that answer. ;)

A problem that never occurred to me. Almost all that I purchased in Asia was switchable 50/60 ,120/240

The frequency of electric current is 50 Hertz in Eastern Japan (including Tokyo, Yokohama, Tohoku, Hokkaido) and 60 Hertz in Western Japan (including Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Shikoku, Kyushu); however, most equipment is not affected by this frequency difference. A possible exception are timing devices such as clocks.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

waaayyyyy OT: I found the final word on the unasked power question :blink:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Europe-have-a-voltage-of-220V-Japan-has-100V-and-North-America-has-110V-Is-220V-better-more-dangerous-or-more-efficient-Why-doesnt-the-world-converge-into-a-more-unified-voltage

My Dear Friends,

I am originate from Europe but working on 4 continents. In US too. traveling from three continents to fourth in 1990 I asked the same one American Engineer and my Boss, too. His answer to both problems 110Volts and inches. Was. In America everyone is the emigrant. The emigrant has no time to go to school, he has to earn moneys to provide them the food to be still alive. So Americans use 110 Volts because is lower and many times electrocution is not killing the man who is pushing his fingers to holes in receptacles. From NEC point of view we have 110, 120, 115, 127, 240, 408Volts and 277 Volts for lighting in high rise buildings. American wants to has different voltage because they afraid that whole european engines and motor will come from Europe and America will be destroyed by European Countries. Second when you use inches you know what is half and what is half of half and etc. without going to school. To have metric you do not understand how to divide by 10. And that is problem. Latter the computers came and now any manufacturer has its standard. That is why we in the World have no one size of receptacle/socket outlet but different ; one type for Americans, other for Frenchmen, another for Wales, Germans and so on.

From international point of view 230 Volt was standardised by Americans (ISO/IEC ) for Europeans and whole Europe Countries has 230 Volts as one phase current and 400 Voltages as three phases current excluding Britons but Britons are not Europeans. They are Islanders. they have 240 volts for one phase current and 440 Volts for three phase currents. Still Europe has 28 countries. The America has 52 countries connected as Federation. So America is glued from 52 countries.

Using 230 and 400 Voltages you save money on Copper which is expensive. and whole wires can be thinner. That is why we in Europe using 230 Volts. The whole World shall use European Standard in voltages and currents but many dictators want to have influence on your standard of life and they are using different voltages and sizes of receptacle/socket outlets. That is from mental problem in their heads. The same with cycles. America has 60 cycles but Europe has 50 cycles.

edited out the potential offensive sections. :eek:

SEAWOLF97
04-30-2019, 04:26 PM
so this opinion most likely won't be popular, but who cares :dont-know:

I was a big fan of Hendrix in the 60's , he's a real guitar master, BUT he's been so overplayed that now I just downthumb him or find some other way to bypass.

I just started running Amazon's free streaming music .. their 60's Rock station plays so much dreck that never "made it" , so many ads ...that I doubt if a paid subscription is in the works, even to just kill the ads.

When you have to "down" every other track, it's just work, not enjoyment. :eek:

Kay Pirinha
05-01-2019, 01:09 AM
Wow! Honestly, this supports any prejudice that exist wrt »thick« Americans :blink:!

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-02-2019, 12:51 AM
so this opinion most likely won't be popular, but who cares :dont-know:

I was a big fan of Hendrix in the 60's , he's a real guitar master, BUT he's been so overplayed that now I just downthumb him or find some other way to bypass.

I just started running Amazon's free streaming music .. their 60's Rock station plays so much dreck that never "made it" , so many ads ...that I doubt if a paid subscription is in the works, even to just kill the ads.

When you have to "down" every other track, it's just work, not enjoyment. :eek:
Sad,sad, sad: it's better for us, not to know how many lousy live jammings JH did. So don't buy this one: "JH, Blues At Midnight", Radioactive Records, 2005. Recorded live at the Café au Go Go, Greenwich Village, NYC, March 1968 and at Generation Club, NYC, April 1968.
Typical for that sort of crap is the notice shown in the credits for the vocals: track 1,6 "unknown vocalist".
It doesn't matter, because the faint vocals are not really on the spot.
This is robbing of dead people...

Kay Pirinha
05-03-2019, 04:32 AM
Fleetwood Mac. They clearly present two rather different sides of the medal. The first one was the 'British', blues influenced one with good melodies and deep lyrics, which I definitely admire. Thumbs up for these. But in the late 1970ies the other side was shown, most probably due to personnel changes. They consequently converted to a blatant pop outfit that is streamlined to the huge US mass market. Musical quality decreased the same way as quantity/sales numbers increased. Nothing challenging, nothing that seizes my brain any more, just simple rhythm patterns and easily listenable tunes. Hardly to discern from other pop outfits like Bananarama, Heart, Bangles etc. Two or more thumbs down!

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
05-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Fleetwood Mac. They clearly present two rather different sides of the medal. The first one was the 'British', blues influenced one with good melodies and deep lyrics, which I definitely admire. Thumbs up for these. But in the late 1970ies the other side was shown, most probably due to personnel changes. They consequently converted to a blatant pop outfit that is streamlined to the huge US mass market. Musical quality decreased the same way as quantity/sales numbers increased. Nothing challenging, nothing that seizes my brain any more, just simple rhythm patterns and easily listenable tunes. Hardly to discern from other pop outfits like Bananarama, Heart, Bangles etc. Two or more thumbs down!

Best regards!

Jefferson Airplane then on to Jefferson Starship did just about the same thing as FM.
The departure of Peter Green , Danny Kirwin and then the addition of others radically changed FM into something that I no longer cared for. Rather went from a guitar driven band to a female vocal driven one. Sell out ??

Even the same transformation happened (to a lesser degree) to Santana after 3 great albums. The Doors kinda went towards the softer route after success , getting away from the style that established them.

Kay Pirinha
05-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Well, any Doors album excels the outputs of either 'American' FM and JS :blink:!

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Best regards!

OH WELL, agreed!

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Jefferson Airplane then on to Jefferson Starship did just about the same thing as FM.
The departure of Peter Green , Danny Kirwin and then the addition of others radically changed FM into something that I no longer cared for. Rather went from a guitar driven band to a female vocal driven one. Sell out ??

Even the same transformation happened (to a lesser degree) to Santana after 3 great albums. The Doors kinda went towards the softer route after success , getting away from the style that established them.

The question is: will their music withstand the test of time or not? Who is going to listen to these recordings in about 100 years? What do people like in 200 years? Oh, no, what shocking thoughts....

SEAWOLF97
05-03-2019, 08:39 AM

OH WELL, agreed!

free association here.

OH WELL. Do you know abt OH WELL parts 1 & 2 on the album ?

Green revealed in a 1994 interview that he wrote "Oh Well Part 2" first, intending to release the song as the A-side. Inspired by some Spanish guitar playing he heard on the radio, he purchased a Ramirez Spanish guitar specifically for "Oh Well Part 2". Soon after, he wrote "Part 1" as a throwaway riff for the B-side. "Part 1" ended up on the A side against Green's wishes, and became a worldwide hit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Well_(song)

The question is: will their music withstand the test of time or not? Who is going to listen to these recordings in about 100 years? What do people like in 200 years? Oh, no, what shocking thoughts....

who cares :dont-know: Most of us will have turned to dust by then.

The Beatles hoped to make it 3-4 years before they'd be forgotten.

Kay Pirinha
05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
OH WELL - great song and great inspiration to many other rock artists. Most prominent should be LZ's Black Dog. Feel free to compare!

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 10:18 AM

free association here.

Green revealed in a 1994 interview that he wrote "Oh Well Part 2" first, intending to release the song as the A-side. Inspired by some Spanish guitar playing he heard on the radio, he purchased a Ramirez Spanish guitar specifically for "Oh Well Part 2". Soon after, he wrote "Part 1" as a throwaway riff for the B-side. "Part 1" ended up on the A side against Green's wishes, and became a worldwide hit

I own a mishandled 45rpm (rats, mice and dogs had their fun with it in the discotheque "Blow Up" in Zürich near the Bahnhofstrasse), but i have also fun with it, because it sounds sooo great. Hey, we used to dance to this one! Listen loud!

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 10:20 AM

free association here.

I own a mishandled 45rpm (rats, mice and dogs had their fun with it in the discotheque "Blow Up" in Zürich near the Bahnhofstrasse), but i have also fun with it, because it sounds sooo great on 45rpm. Hey, we used to dance to this one! Listen loud!

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 01:26 PM
OH WELL - great song and great inspiration to many other rock artists. Most prominent should be LZ's Black Dog. Feel free to compare!

Best regards!

Doubtless, Jimmy Page was the master of rip off. Every Led Zeppelin song was a cleverly made rip off. This fact is not uninteresting for blues afficionados. JP was the most versatile studio guitar player in England in those colorful late 60ies. A very inspired young musician. Undoubtedly he had that extraordinary talent in rock history we needed then ...
By the way, does anybody know the origin of OH WELL?

SEAWOLF97
05-03-2019, 03:23 PM
By the way, does anybody know the origin of OH WELL?

ummm. see ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?14734-Artists-Groups-you-cant-stand&p=422219&viewfull=1#post422219

"Oh Well" is a song first recorded by Fleetwood Mac in 1969, composed by vocalist and lead guitarist Peter Green. It first appeared as a Fleetwood Mac single in various countries in 1969 and subsequently appeared on revised versions of that year's Then Play On album

This Peter Green-led edition of the Mac isn't just an important transition between their initial blues-based incarnation and the mega-pop band they became, it's also their most vital, exciting version. The addition of Danny Kirwan as second guitarist and songwriter foreshadows not only the soft-rock terrain of "Bare Trees" and "Kiln House" with Christine Perfect-McVie, but also predicts Rumours. That only pertains to roughly half of the also excellent material here, though; the rest is quintessential Green. The immortal "Oh Well," with its hard-edged, thickly layered guitars and chamber-like sections, is perhaps the band's most enduring progressive composition. "Rattlesnake Shake" is another familiar number, a down-and-dirty, even-paced funk, with clean, wall-of-sound guitars. Choogling drums and Green's fiery improvisations power "Searching for Madge," perhaps Mac's most inspired work save "Green Manalishi," and leads into an unlikely symphonic interlude and the similar, lighter boogie "Fighting for Madge." A hot Afro-Cuban rhythm with beautiful guitars from Kirwan and Green on "Coming Your Way" not only defines the Mac's sound, but the rock aesthetic of the day. Of the songs with Kirwan's stamp on them, "Closing My Eyes" is a mysterious waltz love song; haunting guitars approach surf music on the instrumental "My Dream"; while "Although the Sun Is Shining" is the ultimate pre-Rumours number someone should revisit. Blues roots still crop up on the spatial, loose, Hendrix-tinged "Underway," the folky "Like Crying," and the final outcry of the ever-poignant "Show Biz Blues," with Green moaning "do you really give a damn for me?" Then Play On is a reminder of how pervasive and powerful Green's influence was on Mac's originality and individual stance beyond his involvement. Still highly recommended and a must-buy after all these years, it remains their magnum opus. ~ Michael G. Nastos

The Deep Secret Behind Peter Green's “Magic” 1959 Les Paul Tone

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/deep-secret-behind-peter-greens-magic-1959-les-paul-tone

SEAWOLF97
05-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Chicago Transit Authority, which was the name of their first album.

They shortened their name after the actual Chicago transit authority objected, and began releasing albums with their name followed by a roman numeral (Chicago II, Chicago III, Chicago IV, etc.).

They did this throughout their career, even as they morphed from horn-driven rock to adult contemporary ballads ("Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry," "Baby What A Big Surprise") in the '80s. :barf:

Chicago Transit Authority was a fine album (with exceptions) . When they went mainstream, the only cut that resonated with me was "Feelin' Stronger Every Day".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRjA_yZEHA

Fritz The Cat
05-03-2019, 11:51 PM
The Deep Secret Behind Peter Green's “Magic” 1959 Les Paul Tone

The mystery of the sound lies in the reversed zebra-pickups. Gary Moore sold the Peter Green guitar to earn money for his lawyers and the costs of a divorce. Now the guitar is locked in a bank safe. What a sacrifice. Sad,sad, sad. (P.S. at least, i have the chance to play one of those Gary Moore Gibson Les Paul Special guitars: great sound, but not easy to play!)

Fritz The Cat
05-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Chicago Transit Authority, which was the name of their first album.

They shortened their name after the actual Chicago transit authority objected, and began releasing albums with their name followed by a roman numeral (Chicago II, Chicago III, Chicago IV, etc.).

They did this throughout their career, even as they morphed from horn-driven rock to adult contemporary ballads ("Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry," "Baby What A Big Surprise") in the '80s. :barf:

Chicago Transit Authority was a fine album (with exceptions) . When they went mainstream, the only cut that resonated with me was "Feelin' Stronger Every Day".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRjA_yZEHA

After 40 years there are more than 50 LPs of Chicago stored in my vinyl LP rack. It's a source of hidden gems to discover. Many years, many LPs. It's all too much for me to take the love that's shining all around you... An overdose!

Kay Pirinha
05-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Yes, Chicago started as an ambitoned jazz rock band, but turned into a commercial one. Very similar to Blood, Sweat & Tears, btw.

Otoh, The Flock was a band that preferred to fold instead of succumbing to such a transition. I love both their albums (The Flock, Dinosaur Swamps) they've recorded! Listen to their rendition of The Kinks' Tired Of Waiting (would fit also to the Better than the original branch :))!

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Yes, Chicago started as an ambitoned jazz rock band, but turned into a commercial one. Very similar to Blood, Sweat & Tears, btw.

Otoh, The Flock was a band that preferred to fold instead of succumbing to such a transition. I love both their albums (The Flock, Dinosaur Swamps) they've recorded! Listen to their rendition of The Kinks' Tired Of Waiting (would fit also to the Better than the original branch :))!

Best regards!

No, the Kinks are the absolute winner because Jerry Goodman is mishandling his violin in the intro of "Tired of waiting". But, admitted, it's an interesting version of the song. In a rough woodchopper style! Jerry Goodman played the best rock music violin, indeed. But the violin is predominant for my ears who had to listen to my dubious violin exercises during 10 years. The Kinks always had some sense of humor in their performances... By the way, look at the false credits for this song on label A of this Holland pressing.

Fritz The Cat
05-04-2019, 03:31 PM

Best regards!

The weak point of The Flock's "Dinosaur Swamp" is the vocals and the overdose of violin tunes. The horns are fantastic...

bedrock602
05-04-2019, 06:18 PM

It seems there were alot of British bands that started playing "blues" and then migrated to pop/rock. Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin are two that come to mind. I like early Fleetwood Mac, but I also like the later incarnation. Same goes for Led Zeppelin. Jethro Tull's first album, the bluesy, jazzy, "This Was", was excellent. Their second was good, third, not bad and fourth, "Aqualung" is overated in my opinion.

SEAWOLF97
05-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Jethro Tull's first album, the bluesy, jazzy, "This Was", was excellent. Their second was good, third, not bad and fourth, "Aqualung" is overated in my opinion.

JT's "Stand Up" is one of my DIDs. I tried "This Was" , but it just did not resonate with me. Agree mostly about "Aqualung"

Kay Pirinha
05-06-2019, 07:30 AM
I like almost any JT output until 1976/77 when they decided to play pop music. I really enjoy their 1972/73 flirts with Progressive Rock Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.

Best regards!

Fritz The Cat
05-06-2019, 08:43 AM
I like almost any JT output until 1976/77 when they decided to play pop music. I really enjoy their 1972/73 flirts with Progressive Rock Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.

Best regards!

Tull went definitively down the drain when Ian Anderson discovered the synthesizers. For further infos look at my new thread called "Earaches".

SEAWOLF97
05-06-2019, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio

another that gets me running for the MUTE button is ..The Trashmen - "Surfin' Bird" , although they did a credible version of "Malaguena".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipinrujp5sk

bedrock602
05-09-2019, 06:39 PM
:snore:

Kay Pirinha
05-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Just to wake you up: Michael Jackson :barf::barf::barf:!!!

This guy (gay?) appeared to be the archetypical US neurotic. Massively overrated and praised primarily for his huge output that was adressed redily for the mainstream masses, hence his sales numbers. Never cried any tears as he died about 10 years ago - in contrary to John Lennon, for instance.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2019, 05:45 AM
Just to wake you up: Michael Jackson :barf::barf::barf:!!!

This guy (gay?) appeared to be the archetypical US neurotic. Massively overrated and praised primarily for his huge output that was adressed redily for the mainstream masses, hence his sales numbers. Never cried any tears as he died about 10 years ago - in contrary to John Lennon, for instance.

Best regards!

OK Kay, we have another disagreement here. :eek:
You obviously enjoy MJ's musik much more than I do. :crying:

There are only 1 or 2 of his (and I can't name them right now) that I can stand .. and don't even mention his time with the jackson 5.

(but I damned near cried when Alvin Lee died :( )

Kay Pirinha
05-10-2019, 06:06 AM
OK Kay, we have another disagreement here. :eek:
You obviously enjoy MJ's musik much more than I do. :crying:

There are only 1 or 2 of his (and I can't name them right now) that I can stand .. and don't even mention his time with the jackson 5.

Objection! There's not a single one that I can stand!

(but I damned near cried when Alvin Lee died :( )

Fully agreed! He was one of the best guitarists ever! I prefer him over EC, for instance (but not over JP :D ).

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2019, 06:28 AM
Fully agreed! He was one of the best guitarists ever! I prefer him over EC, for instance (but not over JP :D ).

Best regards!

Which Clapton ?? Early years were great. 461 Ocean Blvd. is still a fave around here, but after "tears in heaven" he pillowed out and now I just don't bother with him. fire is gone.

JP ?? well , at this stage in my musical voyage, I greatly prefer him to JH or even that noisy SRV. (in fact, I always did)

AL said once that he did not want to be a "rock star" , just wanted to play. Basic, but powerful. ;)

Kay Pirinha
05-10-2019, 06:37 AM
That's exactly how it should be done, isn't it?

Best regards!

<Edit> To EC: Yes, his work with John Mayall, Cream, Derek & the Dominos (fabulous double live album!), Blind Faith, and his early solo works were great. The decay commenced with 461, imho.

Best regards!

Kay Pirinha
05-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Another one: ASIA :barf:!!

Four superb musicians that squandered their talents and skills to blatant mainstram and commercialism. What a waste! What's the thrill in Heat of the Moment, for instance? This is just lukewarm!!

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Best regards!

<Edit> To EC: Yes, his work with John Mayall, Cream, Derek & the Dominos (fabulous double live album!), Blind Faith, and his early solo works were great. The decay commenced with 461, imho.

Best regards!

don't forget ... Just One Night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_One_Night_(Eric_Clapton_album)

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Read a story once about AL & TYA... they put out a 7 incher that was 45 on one side, same song, but at 33 on the other.

They were at a cafe in France and heard their own record playing, but it was the 33 side in a 45 jukebox. Said "nobody noticed that it was faster"

Best regards!

I'd put Peter Green on at least JP's level or ...

Kay Pirinha
05-10-2019, 07:13 AM
don't forget ... Just One Night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_One_Night_(Eric_Clapton_album)

:crying: The songs that appeal to me easily can be counted by the fingers of just one hand...:crying:

Best regards!

Kay Pirinha
05-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Barclay James Harvest :barf::barf::barf:!

Initially they intended to be proggers. There's even a short concert film with them (shot by Wim Wenders in about 1970, btw.) that shows them playing really ambitious music. But then, as we all know: Sticky sweet soft pop. Moody Blues wannabees. Maximum WAF. Precautiously one has to put his speakers into a big enough tub to prevent the schmalz and syrup from distributing over the floor.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
10-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Our local radio station must have just found a copy of this ... :eek: , they've been playing it daily. :eek::eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJ-wNmazHQ

Release and reception

"The Final Countdown" became an instant success on the charts worldwide upon its release, reaching number one in 25 countries (including the UK, where it spent two weeks at the top and is Europe's only Top 10 hit to date),[4] and is commonly regarded as the band's most popular and recognizable song. The single reached number 8 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and is the most successful song from the album on the Album Rock Tracks chart, peaking at number 18 (and charting for 20 weeks).[15]

The song is also the band's highest charting single in Australia and Canada, peaking at number 2 and number 5 respectively.

Too bad I missed it when it was popular ... :barf:

McCartney screws them up too ...

https://youtu.be/CWYlWvtEyio

Pigboat
10-12-2019, 03:16 PM
we've got threads for FAVs...why not a thread for those that you cant stand ? The ones that you get up and change the station , rather than listen to them ?

I'll start.

Bruce Springsteen
Rush
Yes
Thin Lizzy
Ambrosia (some YES clone)
Captain Beyond
Frank Zappa
Genisis/Phil Collins
Dixi-land - anything

You are welcome to disagree, but let's keep it civil. Please add your AGYCS entries.

All on list have their moments, but musically, not for me.

Bob Dylan
Frank Zappa
Joe Cocker
Neil Young
Bob Seiger
Kiss
Rod Steward

Tough to do, would take a lot to get me up out of my seat.
But

Rap:eek:
Disco
Jazz
Classical
Polka
Christian

Not my style.

Age makes difference as I'm 68, but not out of date(6 kids)
So let me add
Boy Bands:banghead:

Fritz The Cat
10-14-2019, 12:23 AM
All on list have their moments, but musically, not for me.

Bob Dylan
Frank Zappa
Joe Cocker
Neil Young
Bob Seiger
Kiss
Rod Steward

Tough to do, would take a lot to get me up out of my seat.
But

Rap:eek:
Disco
Jazz
Classical
Polka
Christian

Not my style.

Age makes difference as I'm 68, but not out of date(6 kids)
So let me add
Boy Bands:banghead:

The problem is: it's all too much, but here are some questions:
YES: Who doesn't like the Rickenbacker bass playing of Chris Squire?
SPRINGSTEEN: Who doesn't like the powerful saxophone solos of Clarence Clemons?
ROD STEWART: Who doesn't like the great guitar playing of Jeff Beck in combination with Rod's vocals?
ELTON JOHN: Who doesn't like the poetry of Bernie Taupin?
RAP: Who doesn't like Ella Fitzgerald's rapping and scatting?
BOY BAND: Who doesn't like The Beatles of the early 60ies?
You don't need to eat the whole basket full of apples. One or two is sufficient. Take the apple without a worm inside....

Pigboat
10-16-2019, 08:31 AM
The problem is: it's all too much, but here are some questions:
YES: Who doesn't like the Rickenbacker bass playing of Chris Squire?
SPRINGSTEEN: Who doesn't like the powerful saxophone solos of Clarence Clemons?
ROD STEWART: Who doesn't like the great guitar playing of Jeff Beck in combination with Rod's vocals?
ELTON JOHN: Who doesn't like the poetry of Bernie Taupin?
RAP: Who doesn't like Ella Fitzgerald's rapping and scatting?
BOY BAND: Who doesn't like The Beatles of the early 60ies?
You don't need to eat the whole basket full of apples. One or two is sufficient. Take the apple without a worm inside....

:blink::confused::dont-know:
Point?

Fritz The Cat
10-16-2019, 10:44 AM
No Point. Just some question marks!

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2020, 10:17 AM
David Bowie is hard to rate (for me) .. some cuts I really like (China Girl & Let's Dance) , but then others are cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcPA7Fzebw&fbclid=IwAR26GLjgsO9D2kv7NrzMhivuvBUntRNz9NsfVZ43g tw8__YMW-JeWdH9OOo

Fritz The Cat
02-10-2020, 11:12 AM
David Bowie is hard to rate (for me) .. some cuts I really like (China Girl & Let's Dance) , but then others are cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcPA7Fzebw&fbclid=IwAR26GLjgsO9D2kv7NrzMhivuvBUntRNz9NsfVZ43g tw8__YMW-JeWdH9OOo
Is David Bowie an artist/group you really can not stand? Why?

wpod
02-12-2020, 08:06 AM
Stardust album, His second and probably his best! The first cut on the album "Five Years" is recorded exceptionally well , especially the percussion and the lead guitar. This was our High School Graduation "theme album " , for the entire year , if you will, it got everybody rockin'..... Phenomenal !!!!

DerekTheGreat
02-18-2020, 04:35 AM
Stardust album, His second and probably his best! The first cut on the album "Five Years" is recorded exceptionally well , especially the percussion and the lead guitar. This was our High School Graduation "theme album " , for the entire year , if you will, it got everybody rockin'..... Phenomenal !!!!

Five years.. Great song, thanks for reminding me. That is indeed a great album. I actually can't stand the tune the other guy mentioned, China Girl. Bass beat and the "SSShhhhhhhhh.." make me cringe, awful.

Kay Pirinha
02-20-2020, 04:56 AM
Fully agreed! DB has done excellent tunes, but also some we'd better forget.

Best regards!

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Fully agreed! DB has done excellent tunes, but also some we'd better forget.

Best regards!

glad somebody understands