PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4350 question(s)

neanderthal
02-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Iam going to hook up the JBL 4350's to a pioneer SX 1980 270 wpc??as I understand the 4350's need power amps?? what is the best amps to use??Whats the best cables to use??Iam after the absolute best results I can get with this setup I only want to do this once and want the best results ...money isn't the issue but prestine quality sound is.Any info anyone can provide will be most welcome...thanks for your time

pentictonklaus
02-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Iam going to hook up the JBL 4350's to a pioneer SX 1980 270 wpc??as I understand the 4350's need power amps?? what is the best amps to use??Whats the best cables to use??Iam after the absolute best results I can get with this setup I only want to do this once and want the best results ...money isn't the issue but prestine quality sound is.Any info anyone can provide will be most welcome...thanks for your time

Welcome to the 4350 club. I was born 25 km away from Neanderthal and do agree that 4350 is the prefered sound of the caveman.Do you have the proper active crossover for the 4350? The beast needs active crossover between the bass and the rest. Everything else is straight forward. The best of the best does match this speaker well.
Did you just get them ? The serial No are also of interst.

Klaus

neanderthal
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I honestly do not know anything about an active crossover but I can and will get what I need and have enough intelligence to make it work.I just need someone with the expertise to tell me the way to go like what crossover to get,and what power amps to get ect.I have located a few pairs but have not aquired a pair yet but definately will soon

Mr. Widget
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
The beast needs active crossover between the bass and the rest. Everything else is straight forward.

I honestly do not know anything about an active crossover but...I do see why JBL didn't originally sell these to the general public. To get the best from these large and unwieldy beasts you will have to work for it. Forget about audiophile niceties like cables etc.

First you will need a 200+wpc solid state amp for the bottom... if cost is no object get a Boulder or Halcro, I imagine however, cost is at least somewhat of a factor so you'd be fine with a Hafler 9505 or most any high power, high quality power amp. That will cover the lows. Next you will need an active crossover for the transition between the pair of 15"s and the 12" 2202A. Here I would not skimp. Do not get any of the moderately priced or inexpensive "pro-audio" crossovers... the current offering from Ashly at $300 is the best one, but I'd strongly suggest you move up the food chain toward a Marchand or Bryston. Either of these are set at the factory so tell them you need 250Hz crossover point with 12dB butterworth slopes. Next you will need an amp for the rest of the system. I'd go with a 100wpc used Pass Labs, Threshold "Class A" model or whatever fancies you... again, if money is no object there are some pretty damn good amps out there from Halcro, Boulder, and Pass Labs... or you might take a look at the tube offerings. If you are not an "air it out" type, you may even get by with a nice little SET.

Next... since these speakers were really never expected to be used without a room EQ and professional installation I'd consider hiring someone to set you up with a room calibration and purchase a pair of White model 4400 equalizers.... alternatively, I am quite happy with the quality of the DEQX PDC2.6P... it is a crossover, equalizer, and preamp in one moderately priced single rack chassis... since you are not intimately familiar with active crossovers, you may not want to venture this far out though.

Widget

Robh3606
02-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Hello

Here are a couple of past threads that should help you out. I will post the manual as well to help you set them up.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=774&highlight=4350+manual

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=462&highlight=4350+manual

Rob:)

Robh3606
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
First 3

Robh3606
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Last

neanderthal
02-20-2007, 06:43 PM
thanks for everyone that provided info...Now I guess I need to try to figure out what amps to use