PDA

View Full Version : Venue sub 10

oznob
02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I recently went to the local Best Buy to check out the Venue series. I was particularly impressed with the 10" subwoofer, apprpriately named the sub 10. Of course the audition area was less than ideal! I like it's puchy sound lack the boominess of the earlier Northridge subs. It was tight, clean and accurate! Retail was $329 which I guess isn't too bad.

I found this sub on the Harman site for $179, factory remanufactured. With shipping and tax, naturally it ships from California, it came to just over $200. I fuigured why not try it. I have a remanufactured HK 3480 that looks and works flawlessly. It's on a minimum of 8 hours a day and hasn't missed a beat in over a year. Best $200 bucks I ever spent, it's a real sleeper and it has a sub-out to boot. Hopefully I will have the same success with the sub.

I'm hoping it will integrate well with my room and the L110's. I am currently using Studio L 890's that are a great full range speaker in their own right. They certainly go to the lower octaves better than the 110's! I just really like the mid-range and highs on the 110 better. Maybe the sub will fill in the missing piece?

I will post again when it arrives and I get it "dialed in."

Titanium Dome
02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Good luck, 'nob. I for one will be interested in a detailed analysis. I've seen but not the heard the Sub10. I assumed it was like the old Northridge E150 so I didn't bother.

However, I've been impressed with 10" models from Hsu and SVS, so I'd be pleased to know if JBL can finally compete in this sub market segment. I'm tired of taking it in the groin from these wise guys on other forums. :bash:

(No "taking it in the groin" GIF available.)

oznob
02-18-2007, 03:43 PM
For $100 more you can get the Sub 12. I thought it was a bit on the boomy side and too big, physically, for where I need to put it.Ti, I too am hoping it will best the previous generation of JBL subs. Our Best Buy does not have listening rooms just large shelves with the speakers flanking the isles placed side by side. Again, not an ideal listening environment.

oznob
02-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I got the sub this afternoon and have had it on for a couple of hours. So far so good! I have it connected via the provided sub cable to the sub outs of the HK 3480. I have been experimenting with the volume and crossover settings. It's kind of a guess on the crossover as it goes from 50hz to 100hz with no indication of frequency in between the two. I'm guessing I have it at approx. 60hz. Zilch's CLIO measurements put the L110 roll off around that point. It sounds puchy and not boomy. The jury is out on it's musicality but it seems to compliment the 110's pretty well. I am going to experiment with the speaker level connections tomorrow. Cosmetically it looks brand new! For $200 it may end up being a real steal?

Titanium Dome
02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Sounds promising. Time will tell.

aht3
02-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok...so you guys know that I have the L series setup..Am I being untrue to JBL by using another sub manufacturer. I have a Hsu VTF2 MK3 and I love it. How do you guys like the L 8400P?

oznob
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok...so you guys know that I have the L series setup..Am I being untrue to JBL by using another sub manufacturer. I have a Hsu VTF2 MK3 and I love it. How do you guys like the L 8400P?

Dr. Hsu makes some great subwoofers and at real world prices, IMHO. I personally haven't auditioned the Studio L sub but I have heard great things about it. I certainly don't think you are doing any dis-service to JBL by using a different sub! If your sub integrates well with your system and sounds good to you why spend more $$$ just to have a JBL sub? That said, if you audition one and it blows the Hsu out of the water and if you have the cash, well......:hmm:

oznob
02-25-2007, 09:58 AM
I ran speaker wire from the B speaker outs on the receiver to the sub. One advantage of this connection is the ability to turn the sub's signal on and off via the remote. You can also turn off the mains signal and just listen to the sub's output.

I couldn't tell much difference between the two connections as far as the sound. When the mains were off and I was just listening to the sub, I noticed very little upper frequency bleed over like I have experienced with other subs. To my ears, I was getting good solid sound below 60hz or so. As far as the lower end, I'm guessing at approx. 30hz, maybe a bit lower. What I do like is it does not draw attention to itself, at least in my room. There are a couple of dead spots outside the listening area. It does seem to sound best when at my prime listening spot, you know, Dad's chair! I have limited placement options but have it to the right and slightly behind the right speaker. That happens to be the recommended placement in the owners manual.

I have only used it for music and so far I am pretty impressed with its performance. A needed compliment to the L110's IMHO as they can appear flat without it. I will drag out the L890's later today and try the sub with them.

So far I think the sub 10 is a steal at $200, $179 plus shipping and tax at HK, even though it is remanufactured.

Titanium Dome
02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
So far I think the sub 10 is a steal at $200, $179 plus shipping and tax at HK, even though it is remanufactured.

The Hsu STF-1 (8", 150W) is $299 and the STF-2 (10", 200W) is $319 on sale. JBL does not have a reputation of competing well at this level with subs, however, so a listening comparison is always in order.

It looks quite competitive on paper, though.

oznob
02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
I went back to the line level inputs with a good shielded cable as I was getting a low hum from using the speaker inputs. Happy to say the hum went away in this configuration.

I have been using the sub 10 with the L890's since last night and I'm very happy with the results. Not earth shattering just a nice complement to them. I haven't put it through its paces with a good "subwoofer" movie but I'm very happy with it listening to music. I bumped the crossover down to 50hz and just slightly less volume. This maybe a keeper system?:hmm: