PDA

View Full Version : Artist Recommendations.

Nightbrace
02-17-2007, 08:17 PM
For all of us looking for GREAT quality material and undiscovered aritsts and alubms, I thought I'd start this thread.

I'd like to start off by mentioning an artist named Freddie White, and his Album entitled "My Country".

http://www.freddiewhite.com/mycountry.html

Freddie White is a contemporary Irish folk singer/songwriter who has only gotten limited exposure, if any, in the states. This album was originally released in Ireland on May 20th 1999. This particular album was co-written by Ann O’Sullivan and based on the poetry of Don O’Sullivan. The music is a mix of Folk, Celtic, and Jazz with very lush arrangements and simple yet engaging harmonies, a MUST for any lover of folk music.

The sound quality of this album is superb as well. I have plenty more recommendations and I hope to see MANY more from all of you.

hjames
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I'd like to start off by mentioning an artist named Freddy White, and his Album entitled "My Country".

The sound quality of this album is superb, and he's a relatively unknown artist which I happen to enjoy.
I have plenty more where that came from, but I hope to see MANY more from all of you.

Okay - you've got to say a bit more. Pretend its a review ...

So he's an artist - that says NOTHING.
To be polite, they all are, right?
Does he sing? Compose? Play an instrument?
Perhaps you could say just a wee bit about the genre of the recording?

Country, Jazz, Spoken Word? Orchestral, Jug Band, Funk, New Age?

Not trying to be hard on you, but you basically said "I like this album" without any specifics or qualifications - I really don't know your tastes or who you regard - and most of us would like a bit more to go on ...

Just to qualify this - its not because its you - I'd say this to anyone who posted a "review" like that.

EDIT: I went to Amazon and looked for Freddy White - no go ... then I googled it and it turns out he is Freddie White (http://www.freddiewhite.com/bio.html)- has a number of albums out - not sure what he sounds like but he seems to be an Irish artists of some note.
I do have a few dozen Celtic CDs on my shelf. Some traditional, like Altan, early Clannad, Chieftans, Lunasa, Silly Wizard; some mystic (like Anuna & Clannad), some neo-celt hybrids like Peatbog Faeries, Rare Air, Shoglenifty - even some new-agey Irish Harp stuff like Patrick Ball and Ceoltoiri (sounds kinda like Hammered dulcimer music).

Nightbrace
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Good suggestion Heather, at the very least a genre and a short description would help :).. Do you have any artists or albums you'd like to recommend?

hjames
02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Lately I have been going over the music of two "unknown local heroes" - DC area guitar players who died pretty young, way before their time. Both are electric guitar guys, tho their styles are a bit different.

Roy Buchanan - He plays laid-back traditional blues (think Clapton - Nobody Knows you when You're Down and Out)
- not quite BB King slow, but very emotional from-the-heart blues. American Axe is a 1974 Live recording with a lot of covers - CC Rider, Johnny B Goode, he really shows off his chops. I also like his 1976 album "A Street Called Straight" - he gets away from the basic blues and has a great diversity of sidemen with him (Billy Cobham, the Brecker brothers) - at times has a real memphis/muscle shoals kind of sound.
He died in '88.

Danny Gatton - He's a bit of a showoff, can do blazing fast runs and gorgeous fingerpickin' riffs. He was a more playful guitarist, and plays all kinds of styles, Jazz, blues, bluegrass, rockabilly ... He had 8 or so albums, altho I only know a few of them. His 1991 album "88 Elmira Street" is a good sampler of what he can do - boogy, blues, even a rockabilly goof on the theme from the Simpsons. Another album, "Redneck Jazz" has more of a country swing style; the title tune reminds me of Commander Cody or Dan Hicks; the tune "Comin Home" is in the vein of Van Morrison's Moondance ... but not quite ...
He died in '94.

Audiobeer
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I love listening to music. Sometimes in doing so I never have time to post reviews of them. It's a tough choice but I choose listening. :applaud:

Fred Sanford
02-18-2007, 08:35 AM
To follow in the Irish artist theme, look for In Tua Nua, The Long Acre. Couple of beautifully crafted tunes that were radio friendly for a while ('All I Wanted', 'Don't Fear Me Now', and a personal favorite, the under-two-minute-long 'Meeting of the Waters'), some interesting use of pipes & Edge-style guitar textures, a solid album but like many gems might need a bit of a commitment to listen straight through. An all-time favorite of mine. Been a while since I've listened to it on a good system, though, so can't comment on audio quality of a one-off band from mid 80's. Anybody know where I can get their album "Vaudeville" for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Heather, I've got tons of Danny Gatton audio and some video, let me know if you'd like to sample any that you don't already own.

je

jim campbell
02-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I've got tons of Danny Gatton audio and some video, let me know if you'd like to sample any that you don't already own.

er; is that offer good outside the lower 48?now playing.............................. sketches of spain.......some guy from st louis

Fred Sanford
02-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Heather's practically a neighbor, I'd invite her over for a DVD showing or open my servers to her for streaming.

Once I'm set up a bit better (higher upload speed/ports opened), I can host IRadio and play stuff for you to sample from anywhere...I'll let you know when I get to that point.

je

opimax
02-19-2007, 06:27 AM
The only Gatton I ever saw was him "cleaning" his guitar, pretty amazing to watch. When you open up I would also be interested

Thanks

Mark

richluvsound
02-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Brilliant idea. International , you guy's are just getting out of bed and I have a meeting. Perhaps we can kick this idea around later.
regards, Richard-london

BMWCCA
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
My first real job out of college (1976) I worked with a guy who had played sax in Danny Gatton and the Fat Boys. The sax player is still around (and still in the car business). I guess I'll have to dig out that one Danny Gatton CD I own and see if I can develop a new-found appreciation after the prompting from Heather. My problem is there are just so many good guitarist playing around where I live—and not even as their primary occupation—that it takes a real talent to impress me anymore.

On the fiddle side, since I know some of you are fans, I did go to hear Bruce Molsky live last night at Cabell Hall at UVA. Bruce was doing a short residency at the department of music and this was the concert after the workshops. Darol Anger speaks so highly of him, I thought it was worth the small ticket charge. He's an obvious talent, knows his music history, and speaks, plays, and sings very well. He played guitar, fiddle, and banjo for about two-hours, solo. "Traditional" is not always my favorite genre but it's always nice to see a master play live, whatever the music. I might have to pick up his Grammy-nominated "Fiddlers 4" (with Darol Anger, Michael Doucet and Rushad Eggleston). And the bonus is in Googling Molsky prior to the concert, I found out that Anger's Republic of Strings is playing a small club/bookstore here in town in April. That should be a good one.

racencase
02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
hjames, Roy is not an unknown amoung musicians and was a standout guitarist to those who followed exceptional talent. His son David has put together a myspace tribute page to his dad that is pretty neat. I'm a newbie here and have lots of catching up to do so if I repeat what's already been posted I'm sorry. Having said that, check out Rory Gallager for some more guitar ear candy if you have the opportunity!

http://www.myspace.com/roybuchanantribute

toddrr
02-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Micheal Franti
Kan nal

One artist and one band with lyrics and
musical skills that are creating amazing music.
I recommend all of the material for Franti and
the last album of Kannal and their upcoming release.
Seeing Kan nal live is even better ck. out the website.

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
My problem is there are just so many good guitarist playing around where I live—and not even as their primary occupation—that it takes a real talent to impress me anymore.
i should have such problems.the real problem is that if you dont look like shania or have some outrageous gimmick its easy for really good players to be ignored.these days there is a remarkable amount of talent out there but you really have to keep your ears open.i remember someone saying that if you go to nashville to be a guitar player stop for gas on the edge of town.if the guy that fills your tank is better than you go home

Fred Sanford
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I was in the house band at one of the NYC open jam nights for a little while, we had plenty of famous to semi-famous to just plain folks stop by to play, and I have to honestly say that probably the best harp player I've ever witnessed was a homeless dude that smelled like you'd expect an NYC homeless dude to smell. He shuffled in, waited his turn, walked up to the mic, mumbled out a key, and started wailin'. People were stunned. Nobody wanted to use that mic again, though.

I've had to look at things differently from that day on. I never assume I'm the best player in the room at anything, ever.

je

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
where do you do most of your playing,and what kind of stuff do you usually do?

Fred Sanford
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Just moved from NYC to VA, don't play anywhere just now.

Haven't played the clubs in NY in a few years, the reference I made was to Nightingale's in the late '80s or so.

Drums is funk, rock, theater, blues, just about anything.

Guitar & bass is generally rock, metal & blues, but I've done a bit of everything at one time or another. My technique's not bad, but I know very little for theory- teach me something, I'll play it well. I really only picked up guitars because I had them around for repair, and also 'cause you can play them more quietly than drums...now, like JBLs, the good ones and the orphans threaten to take over the house. This shot's from ~'94.

je

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
well it sounds to me that the music scene is pretty healthy in your area.im just the opposite,i can absorb the theory but applying it is the tough part.the pros call it a case of ....well, no talent.but i still horse around for fun

Fred Sanford
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM
It's all about the fun. I go to great lengths purely to amuse myself.

Learning a lot in the process, but I got pretty much as far as any talent I have would take me a while back, actual skill is taking plenty of time.

:o:

je

JBLRaiser
02-23-2007, 06:32 AM
on songs such as.

Eric Clapton's Derek and the Dominoes Layla - Duane Allman on slide guitar

Foreigner's Urgent- Jr. Walker on sax solo

Michael jackson Beat it- Eddie Van Halen guitar solo

Any others to add?

JBLRaiser
02-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Just moved from NYC to VA, don't play anywhere just now.

Haven't played the clubs in NY in a few years, the reference I made was to Nightingale's in the late '80s or so.

Drums is funk, rock, theater, blues, just about anything.

Guitar & bass is generally rock, metal & blues, but I've done a bit of everything at one time or another. My technique's not bad, but I know very little for theory- teach me something, I'll play it well. I really only picked up guitars because I had them around for repair, and also 'cause you can play them more quietly than drums...now, like JBLs, the good ones and the orphans threaten to take over the house. This shot's from ~'94.

je

I picked one up made by Fender '67-'68 vintage a few weeks ago. I plan to refurbish it. Everything was there including foot pedal. I've got a thread with a pic here.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14564

hjames
02-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Any others to add?

Blondie - Parallel Lines - Fade Away and Radiate - Robert Fripp on Guitar

David Bowie - Heroes - Heroes - Robert Fripp on Guitar

Bryan Ferry - Is Your Love Strong Enough? - Legend Official Soundtrack - David Gilmour on guitar

Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls - (the whole album) - David Gilmour on guitar

Bryan Ferry - Mamouna - (the whole album) - Robin Trower on guitar (and as producer)

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat - First We Take Manhattan - Stevie Ray Vaughn on Guitar

JBLRaiser
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat - First We Take Manhattan - Stevie Ray Vaughn on Guitar

I'll have to have a listen.

jim campbell
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM

I'll have to have a listen.its a great listen

alskinner
02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Frank Meldenhall

Frank only produced 3 albums before his demise. The album Hard Times is by far my favorite. Especially the tracks "Jealous" and "Shont Dont Dont" are real Butt shakers. The line up includes: Fank Mendenhall (guitars)(Vocals); Jermaine Caswell Jr., Skip Fernell (keyboards); Jerry Wilder (electric bass); Steven Walker (drums).

Frank had a unique voice somewhere between Al Green and Bobby Rush.

AL

Fred Sanford
02-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Still with the Irish band theme, a band called "Something Happens" has two strong albums, 'Stuck Together With God's Glue' and 'Bedlam A-Go-Go'. The former is a bit quieter, but both have strong songwriting and interesting textures and memorable tunes. Good (but not natural, I'm In The Room With The Band) production on both. "God's Glue" is one of my all-time favorites, a desert-island disc for me. Available used on Amazon for reasonable prices.

je