PDA

View Full Version : Replacement/Upgrade for Altec Duplex Horn unit

rich carnese
02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi..Im in need of a replacement for an Altec 605a's horn unit. One of the sections of the horn is broken off and since I have to recone it anway I thought..what the heck.
If nobody has one(maybe even a Urei horn) maybe Ill try some bondo....
Even great plains doesnt have 'em. Thanks! Rich

scott fitlin
02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
My guess is try to find a beat up one on ebay. Or maybe even a good one.

Best suggestion I got!

There are 604,s on ebay with the same type of horn as the 605, but, man are they pricey.

rich carnese
02-16-2007, 06:46 AM
thanks scotty...I think my best bet is to repair the one I have with some bondo or fiberglass .
By the way... I notice that you're in Brooklyn. There a really good speaker reconing place there, but I cant remember the name, The were always a little on the pricey side , but did good work with the right parts. .
regards.. Rich

scott fitlin
02-16-2007, 07:34 AM
You dont mean Heavy Custom Sound on 86th st?

I dont use her, she,s too difficult to deal with. For JBL I use Consolidated Audio in Pompton Lakes NJ, and for Altec, I send it to GPA!

macaroonie
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
on this forum wanting to chop some 511's for HVAC perhaps he can help.......:p

rich carnese
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
You mean great plains, right? Ill fix the horn and then send them the speaker for reconing. I know they'll do a great job
Yeah heavy custom...I thought that woman only hated me(lol)
Does anyone still have 2231 kits, or are they all 2235 kits now?
One more thing...Is there an actual imp. difference between the compression drivers used in JBL home systems as apposed to monitors. Most of the home drivers are rated at 8ohms(i.e.LE85) and its pro conterpart (the 2420) is rated at sixteen. It seems strange that they would deliberately make 2 different imp. drivers and different networks even though the rest of thecomponents are basically the same...especially in the 3-way versions.

scott fitlin
02-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Yeah heavy custom...I thought that woman only hated me(lol)
LOL, ahh, you know her too!

:applaud: