PDA

View Full Version : 250TI'S now look like the way they were meant to be

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Here is my first DIY project...restoring my cabinets to make them look like they are supposed to. I have included many pictures and have cut their size down so as not to drain resources here. This entire job took about 5 hours today. I removed the drivers last night so I didn't include that time.

I am not the best photographer and a few pictures are a tad blurry and, I have put descriptions on the pictures so you can follow my progress.

I enjoyed doing this and I am glad I did. They came out absolutely beautiful. If I didn't know better I would say they sound better now that they are shiny and sparkling but then I would be lieing. Before they just sounded stunning now, they look stunning as well.

This Howard's Restorer and Feed and Wax is amazing stuff and thank the forum members who recommended it.

Now I am tired as 5 hours of scrubbing is a job for me but still have the strength to listen to these babies a couple of hours tonight so I can feast my eyes on these beauties and listen to them sing to my ears.

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
more pictures

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
again

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
again

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
again

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
again

kingjames
02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
awell that's it. Enough pictures for ya?

Titanium Dome
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice improvement. Congrats.

How are your speaker bottoms?

kingjames
02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
there are a few nicks on them. I noticed that where the nicks are is a panel that can be removed and might do that in the future and have them re-veneered. What made you ask because I didn't include pictures of the bottoms?

kingjames
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
TI-Dome here are a few pictures of the bottoms. Notice that one badge fell off will glue later. Nicks on bottom aren't too bad.

Titanium Dome
02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
there are a few nicks on them. I noticed that where the nicks are is a panel that can be removed and might do that in the future and have them re-veneered. What made you ask because I didn't include pictures of the bottoms?

I asked because my L250 cabinets have those little problems at the bottom, too. I've pondered a number of possible fixes but am still waiting for inspiration.

Nightbrace
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Great Job! They look great!

hjames
02-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Those are absolutely gorgeous!!

I can see why everyone gets excited over them - and if the sound matches the look - oh my!

kingjames
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
HJ the sound does match the beauty of these speakers. That's what made this project all the more pleasing. :p

What caught be off guard was the weight of the LE14-1. It is a magnificent driver,well made and you can tell some engineering went into this baby.

I was also surprised by the size of the 044ti's. They are much bigger then I thought. an earlier post of mine I asked why the demand for this driver,now I know why.

The crossovers in these are a work of art in itself and,though I don't understand fully the purpose of them other than to keep certain sounds from certain speakers,they are huge compared to alot others that I seen.

It was this site that gave me the inspiration to tackle this job,it always help's to have other people encouraging you.The biggest thing I suspect though is people here wanting to know how any project comes out.

In the end I am very happy with how they look now and will enjoy them for years to come.:bouncy:

sourceoneaudio
02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Kingjames,
Looks like you did great job. I only wish I could have done that with the ones I have for sale. The veneer had to many issues from previous paint work done. Mine look good, but not as nice as NAKED NATURAL wood. Now your good to go for many years to come. Enjoy the music from the new beauty's.

J/S-S1A :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

sourceoneaudio
02-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Hjames,
You are probably looking at the best sounding cone/speaker array in the business period. Specific frequencies assigned to each driver that are designed to reproduce that given frequency range perfectly. If you lived closer I would be happy to give you a demo if you've never heard them. It is a treat.

J/S-S1A :D

opimax
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I do live close and in fact anyone is welcome to hear my stuff, I encourage it. I need any help I can get (hints, smart ass remarks, your choice) and you may satisfy your curiosity of 250TI w/charge coupled XO...W or w/o a b460 :)

Mark

briang
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
kingjames, your finish restoration looks great. Well done!:applaud:

sourceoneaudio
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
:D Mark,
Did those woofers ship yet? I received some damaged goods, Klipsch drivers via UPS yesterday due to poor packing, like your 044TI. I received a smashed x-over network and one damaged woofer. I really wish people could follow simple double boxing request.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270085527142&rd=1&rd=1

J/S-S1A :blink:

JBLRaiser
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
There is nothing like seeing the before to fully appreciate the after. I used to not like that speakers looks.(Too traditional?) But, I was more ignorant of it then. It has grown on me and I'm now quite envious. Thanks for sharing. It is truly a beautiful and well engineered Lansing Heritage piece.:yes:

opimax
02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I am talking to anybody who wishes to listen to my stuff!!! no I haven't received the woofers from either place yet. I feel for the shipping :(

If someone wants to listen I hope to have the woofer very replaced soon.It makes noises at high volume and low XO points.

KJ, the cabs look excellent (better than mine just for reference)!!!

gerard
02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Hello

How do you like those ones :

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3960/hpim0013sd5.jpg :D

Gerard

sourceoneaudio
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
They look very nice. Were you able to purchase the factory x-over network for the array?

J/S-S1A :applaud:

gerard
02-16-2007, 11:03 AM
The Xover are Xpl200 and even if some people can say it is not suitable , I can tell yyou they sound terrific ( bi amp + tube ) .

Gerard

sourceoneaudio
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
You should keep a looooook out for some factory ones (N250TI) is the correct part number. Even if you found a pair of trashed speakers over there you could snag them for parts. Remember if you are using the TI tweets 044TI, and the 104H mid (poly) the network is different between the L250 and the 250TI, so don't use the L250 network. That is if your looking to up-grade. I have a freind who has two N250TI's new in the box but he will not part with them, I'm trying to get him to, but I think they are glued to his hands................

J/S-S1A :blink:

Titanium Dome
02-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello

How do you like those ones :

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3960/hpim0013sd5.jpg :D

Gerard

Very modern, light, and clean. It's a super look Gerard.

jim campbell
02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I asked because my L250 cabinets have those little problems at the bottom, too. I've pondered a number of possible fixes but am still waiting for inspiration.
what about those crayons that the lumberyards sell.it would not be a permanent fix but it is usually a definite improvement in the look.pros use them all the time

jim campbell
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
In the end I am very happy with how they look now and will enjoy them for years to come.:bouncy:
and you should be.............nice work

kingjames
02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
what about those crayons that the lumberyards sell.it would not be a permanent fix but it is usually a definite improvement in the look.pros use them all the time

I bought one of those from Home Depot For $4.99 for a few scratches that I had on mine on the bottom. I got mine in walnut and you can't tell the difference after you apply it. Good Stuff!

Not a crayon though it is like a magic marker.