PDA

View Full Version : Magazine article's showing sales figures?

kingjames
02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen any sales literature on JBL products that say how many they sold separate (Model No) in a given year, it could be any model and any ad from magazines,newspaper's or what have you? I wonder if this would be helpful?

Example= Let's say someone has an article any article with some credibility that says JBL sold 2000 pair of their 250ti in the first year and like I said it could be any model but just using the 250ti's here as an example.Couldn't we in theory figure some dates of these speakers by the serial numbers and the amount sold in a certain year?

Let's also just say that if JBL sold 2000 250ti's in the first year of manufacure then I would have to believe that mine were made in the first year of manufacure since my serial numbers are in the 500's.

Do you see what I am trying to get at here? I don't know if its a waste of time or what? I am sure that some articles exist in magazines somewhere that give some specific numbers, as I recall I've seen quite a few old JBL ad's in magazines and some of those magazines would give sales number's.
there was a shit load of articles and magazines in those days as I recall.

I just thought maybe this would work.:blink:

I have added this paragraph after posting this:

question, how is it that JBL as big as they were did not keep a backup of their records off site? this is common practice really and a very smart thing to do. Just wondering!

Nightbrace
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I guess it could, but we can get close enough with the serial number// And if the speakers are cosmetically and acoustically identical, does it really matter if it was made in 1984 or 1985? When there are differences in sound its important to know which you have, and dating is more important, especially with older JBL. But I think most can agree that getting to within a year of the actual manufacture of a set of 250Ti's is close enough for most practical purposes.

And anyways believing in a magazine ad as to how many were sold is not a reliable way to determine the actual build date. I may be mistaken, but I think all you really need to know about your speakers can be determined from your serial numbers, and while you may not be able to get an exact build date, you can get a reasonable idea of when it was built and what components were supposed to be used in your speaker.

kingjames
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
ya but in the days of the good stuff articles from everywhere were quoting sales people that the author's had personal relationships with. That is the way it was in those days. Most of the author's were well known and not that many. Articles would have to be quote's from people in authority at that time.

Nightbrace
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
If you think its necessary then why not try to figure out when your JBL's were produced based on the numbers quoted... I couldn't hurt if you want to narrow it down to a certain date..

kingjames
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
it's not just my speakers but everyone here who ask's about a date of or year of manufacture and as I recall there is quite a few.

The way it is now I can't tell what year my speakers were made even with the low numbers,because of JBL only sold 200 the first year and we can prove that then mine weren't made the first year.

soundboy
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
.... I may be mistaken, but I think all you really need to know about your speakers can be determined from your serial numbers...:blink:

It's not like having GTO and calling Pontiac with your serial number. Most of the manufacturing data was lost in the Northridge earthquake years ago. What you need is to look at the literature, both home and pro. It tells you everything as far as components, and all of it is dated in the back corner. I know, I have a boatload of it....and every JBL piece I have had over 30+ years has been exactly as the literature described...
I have no idea when my 4301B's were made....except for the date stamp on the woofers. They were produced from '77 to around '82, I think...and your'e right, I don't really care...but the stamp on the woofers says '81....

PS...quit spouting off knowledge you don't have, or are assuming as fact.....that's why the seasoned JBL nuts get irritated on here. Just a hint:D

Nightbrace
02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
He was suggesting using magazine articles, the serial numbers help give you a better general idea of where to look. And some have posted their serial numbers and when they were indeed manufactured. So yes the serial number is crutial, but backing it up with literature from JBL is crucial as well.. You cannot really assume the numbers in a magazine to be accurate, but its a step in the right direction.

Hofmannhp
02-11-2007, 04:25 PM
.... I may be mistaken, but I think all you really need to know about your speakers can be determined from your serial numbers...:blink:

It's not like having GTO and calling Pontiac with your serial number. Most of the manufacturing data was lost in the Northridge earthquake years ago. .....

Hi All,

The GTO example is a good one........that's the reason we try to build a registry for specially the vintage JBLs.
There are now nearly 4000 parts in the registry and a lot of members post me to find out more informations about their speakers or drivers.....I try to help everybody with the stored information.

HP

soundboy
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the post....I don't have anything really old or rare, but will get the serial numbers, and use the date stamps from the components to get the approximate year....although most my stuff is late 70's/80's....I think the hard stuff is the mid seventies and farther back, especially components....and early studio monitors...anyway, thanks, I wasn't trying to be harsh, really...I really don't know it all, for sure. ...I assume knowing a common 2420 is from 1973, as apposed to 1981, is not the point....knowing the year of a Paragon, Metrogon, or mint 4340, may be a different animal....

kingjames
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi All,

The GTO example is a good one........that's the reason we try to build a registry for specially the vintage JBLs.
There are now nearly 4000 parts in the registry and a lot of members post me to find out more informations about their speakers or drivers.....I try to help everybody with the stored information.

HP

When I remove my drivers this Tuesday to redo the cabinets I will be sending you serial numbers of all the drivers and maybe we can determine a date. I don't know why I feel I need to know when these were made but I do.

Hofmannhp
02-11-2007, 04:49 PM
When I remove my drivers this Tuesday to redo the cabinets I will be sending you serial numbers of all the drivers and maybe we can determine a date. I don't know why I feel I need to know when these were made but I do.

Hi KJ,

as I wrote under the line :