PDA

View Full Version : Thanks - new surrounds on my Lancers

beeskerdog
02-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Just wanted to say thanks.

Becuase of this site I was able to put new sorrounds on my Lancer 77s. I follwed the step-by-step instructions listed on this form and used surrounds provided by Rick Cobb. Everything worked perfectly. I bought these speakers when I was a kid back in Illinois, I've always liked the sound, and to my ear, these sound as good now as they did back in 1968 :applaud:

Anyhow, my wife had been pushing for these to go to a landfill for quite a while. Now I'm really glad I was able to repair them. It's like seeing an old friend again.

A couple of other comments. I made some repairs to the veneer. I got some walnut veneer and spliced it in. When I stained it with Watco (med walnut) it became clear that the veneer on my speakers wasn't actually walnut but rather, appears to be teak -stained as walnut. It's close enough for now now -but teak would have been a better match.

I also had to rebuild the cross-overs. I replaced the capacitors in both and checked them with a scope and frequency gen. Everything seems fine now.

For cleaning the old surround material off the cones I used a painter's pallet knife - "LOEW CORNELL J-11". It's about $5 at most art supply stores. -It's a very thin stainless steel flexible blade that scrapes the junk off the cone without digging in or cutting the cone - It worked for me anyhow.

Regards & Thanks, John

spkrman57
02-11-2007, 10:04 AM
It's nice to hear a success story on a pair of vintage JBL speakers.

Thanks for sharing with us. Good info in your post!

Ron