PDA

View Full Version : 250TI help needed with Cabinets.

kingjames
02-09-2007, 02:22 PM
I am just getting around to doing my cabinets with Howard's restorer and Howard's feed wax. I was wondering if I should play it safe and remove all drivers before I do this job. If I do should I keep them separate from one another and put them back in the same cabinets. Are there any issues I need to address or be careful of here. As always thanks in advance

sourceoneaudio
02-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Kingjames,
I would remove all drivers so as not to get any of the refinishing products on them, for it might discolor the black finish on the tweets, and you don't want to drop anything on any of the drivers by accident. The 140H mid dust covers will dent if you breath on them to hard. they are very soft. Also I would not mix up the drivers rom left to right. Put them back where they came from. Good luck and don't forget to post some nice pics when you are done.

J/S-S1A :D

sourceoneaudio
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
One more thing. The tweeter access panel is kinda tough to get out. So what I did to remove it was take all screws out, get an oversized wood screw put it back into one upper corner holes screw it in enough not to split the wood, take a claw hammer go at the screw like you are removing a nail place your hand under it. (between the speaker and the hammer) Gently and I mean gently pry it up as to break the seal of the black seam sealant. Now your good to go, the rest is easy.

J/S-S1A

SEAWOLF97
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
blue painter's tape & paper ...mask the drivers

John
02-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Painters tape, scotch brand. Do not use the cheap stuff. Just go slow and take you time. You are risking damage somewhere by messing with the drivers. Post some before and after pics.:applaud:

John
02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh by the way rest them on there backs and carefully do the front baffles and then around the sides and top. Use some towels or soft padding of some sort to rest the cabinets so they are at your waist level. Make sure the towels are not the ones your wife got from her mom.:bouncy:

briang
02-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh by the way rest them on their backs and carefully do the front baffles and then around the sides and top. Use some towels or soft padding of some sort to rest the cabinets so they are at your waist level. Make sure the towels are not the ones your wife got from her mom.:bouncy:
Is that the voice of experience speaking, John? :D

KingJames: I was able to bring back two pairs of 120Ti cabinets with Watco brand Teak Oil and some #1 and #00 steel wool. I removed the drivers, and put them in a safe and secure location until the cabinets were ready for their return.

For posterity, here is how I did the finish restoration:

To restore the finish I chose to work over a drop cloth and wear nitrile golves. Working one side at a time, I simply dipped the #1 steel wool in the Teak Oil and rubbed the oil over the cabinets (rubbing with the grain) using a thick layer at first. I let the thick layer sit for 10 mins and wiped the side down with a soft terry cloth. After all sides were done on both cabinets, I then reapeated the process with the #00 steel wool.

After about 5 days the oil had hardened enough to reload the drivers into the cabinets and enjoy the newly restored finish.

kingjames
02-11-2007, 02:59 PM
sorry guys, I just realized that my daughter has my digital camera in disneyland with the kids, she'll be back on Tuesday this week, so I will start on these tuesday so I can take pictures of the drivers after I remove them. I have decided to remove the drivers to collect serial numbers and hopes of finding a date on one of them. I'm kind of looking forward to this job actually, I must be getting old!:p

Nightbrace
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
You need not remove the drivers, unless you want to.

kingjames
02-11-2007, 04:42 PM
You need not remove the drivers, unless you want to.

I want to.

sourceoneaudio
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
The finished product will look better if you do remove them. If you don't you might have edges close to the drivers that are not the same color. This way when you re-do the color goes under the driver and it is uniform. Good luck. If you have any questions on safe tweeter removal you can PM me, I 'll be glad to help you.

Jeff
J/S-S1A :D

kingjames
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks! will do

Nightbrace
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I want to.

Then be careful taking off the wire connections as to not bend the terminals..