PDA

View Full Version : How does one remove dielectric coating from S O L E N inductor leads?

jbljfan
02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I recently ordered a pair of inductors for a specific value that are made of twisted wires that are covered with a dielectric. My first inclation is to burn the coating off and then abrade them. Am I close to the proper way to prepare then for soldering or crimping?

Regards,
Mike

Zilch
02-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I carefully scrape it off with a utility knife, then tin with solder....

Steve Schell
02-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Mike,

If the inductor leads are solid copper magnet wire, then carefully scraping off the insulation with a single edge razor blade should work well.

Some of these modern insulation materials are a bear to remove, like the insulation on some copper clad aluminum wire I use to wind voice coils. I tried using a razor blade, but the scraping removed the copper coating and the aluminum wire would not tin. I finally began using a somewhat dull knife, which removes the insulation with effort but leaves the copper intact so the wire accepts solder easily.

I have not had good luck with burning off insulation, as it tends to oxidize the wire and leave a stubborn residue.

soundboy
02-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Sharp knife on edge works great....then tin with solder...

grumpy
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
emery cloth (on solid copper) can help clean up the residue that's sometimes left
after using a blade. -grumpy

jbljfan
02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
With six strands per lead scraping CAREFULLY and then abrading is the way to go, followed by tinning.

Mike

L100t Owner
02-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Agreed. Scrape away with a razor blade.

ralphs99
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Please also be aware that the polyurethane coating on some types of enamelled wire can decompose to produce toluene di-isocyanate with heating. Nasty stuff! Suggest you avoid breathing the fumes produced when soldering.

Cheers, Ralph