PDA

View Full Version : anyone with L65 Jubal experience

hello9821
02-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Hello,

I have a pair of L65 Jubals in excellent condition that I bought on CL for $50.They are currently at a shop getting refoamed. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on how these sound, and what I should expect from them. My current speakers are 4512ok with the smaller "butt cheek" horn. Will the Jubals blow these away?

Zilch
02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
It sounds like you'll know soon enough. :thmbsup:

Jubals will have more low end, but the VHF will be beamy by comparison.

You'll want to elevate them so that the tweeters are at ear level for best listening....

Zilch
02-07-2007, 02:13 AM
STORM - Give the Valencias and 19's a friggin' REST, would ya please? :mad:

You know ZIP about the two systems subject of this inquiry, but still you have to seize upon this as an opportunity to gratuitously blather about those Altecs yet AGAIN?

I mean, you've done it literally HUNDREDS of times here, now. It's like you've got this compulsion to tell every member that posts in these forums what kind of speakers you have, each individually. :banghead:

What if we all did that?

Haven't ENOUGH forum members pointed this out for you to get the MESSAGE?

I'm not trying to be mean or nothin', Storm, in fact, I rather like you, and I suspect many other members do, also. But SHEESH, this same one-note loop just plays on and on and on endlessly here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=144468&postcount=55

Some members would say I've got a loop, too, but at least I try to change it up from time to time....

SEAWOLF97
02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
amen, Z.

opimax
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Even I tried in another thread...

Mark

SEAWOLF97
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
he's ignoring this intervention....

as long as we are at it...... I think

""Just like a#% holes, everyones got an opinion." :rotfl:"

really isn't appropriate.

hello9821
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM
lol i think my thread got hijacked.

mech986
02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Regarding the original post, the L65's were designed as a much more wide ranging speaker but primarily for the home environment. Your 4612OK (not 4512 I think) speakers are primarily built for low midrange on up sound reinforcement work and don't have much of a low end (I use 2 pairs of 4612 for mobile PA work for my church). The 2404 baby butt cheek tweeter doesn't go out quite as far as the 077 but Zilch is correct in that they have a much wider dispersion pattern than the 077.

The L65 will have gobs more low end but can tend to be a bit boomy with the speakers on the floor and the original woofers. Later versions of the Jubal came with slightly different woofers and tamed that a bit. Some threads here have suggested changing out the woofers to other JBL units with better low end and transient response. Do a wide search here in the messages for those threads. And do get the speakers up at least 12 inches, they'll sound better without the floor reinforcement.

Be sure to tell your refoaming repair person to use the correct foam surround and put them on the back of the cones to preserve the originality and static/dynamic voice coil positioning. While your woofers are out, you should double check the wiring all the way from the input connections through the crossover to the drivers. This would entail cleaning or installing new fast-on connectors (woofer and mid) or cutting ends of wire off and using newly exposed wire (Tweeter). Be sure to spray some DeOxit into the mid/tweeter controls and excercise them liberally. If you need new seals, JBL Pro may still have some for the 12" woofer and midrange. For sure, they still have o-rings for the 077.

If the cabinets are in decent shape, a good oiling will do wonders. Zilch will have nice new JBL Blue cloth should the grilles need a rework.

At $50, you literally stole those speakers and they will reward you handsomely when you listen to them or resell them in the future. BTW,

:useless:

Thanks and good luck with the restoration.

Regards,

Bart

Donald
02-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I have L65s. Before I got them I used L222 Discos, L100s, Dorian S12s.

The L65s blew my socks off. The highs can cut glass and the bass is very good. Better than the L222 with their LE14A and PR15s.

hello9821
02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
they will be back next week from a JBL authorized service center. they are having delays because they had to special order the surrounds.

here's a pic:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg
(http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg)

Audiobeer
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Very nice score. I loved my L-65s. They were my 1st pair of LBLs. I had them in a 14 X 18 sunken livingroom on a carpeted slab floor. To this day I have fond memories of thier sound. I never thought the tweeters to be too much on a quality recording. The midrange was good and the bass was solid. They perform better when you have some balls behind them.

mech986
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
they will be back next week from a JBL authorized service center. they are having delays because they had to special order the surrounds.

here's a pic:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg
(http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg)

Those look SCHWEET! Nice appearance from this angle and the refoam should be a piece of cake. The grilles look good too! Wow, what a deal! Someone's gonna have a lot of fun when these are finished.

Bart

Regis
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Very nice score. I loved my L-65s. They were my 1st pair of LBLs. I had them in a 14 X 18 sunken livingroom on a carpeted slab floor. To this day I have fond memories of thier sound. I never thought the tweeters to be too much on a quality recording. The midrange was good and the bass was solid. They perform better when you have some balls behind them.

Same here, Audiobeer! The L-65's were my first pair too. I really wanted the L-300's, but military PFC pay, just didn't cut it. Always won the barracks sound wars, though! And you're right. You need something with some 'umph' to drive them well. At least 200 wpc IMHO.

hello9821
02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
i;m going to be driving them with a Pioneer SA-9500 (80 wpc) or a Marantz 2250B (50 wpc). I can't really afford anything that extravagant becuase i am a 16 year old student.

timc
02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I used a Crown XTI-1000 with mine for a time.....cheap amp. Big sound that kicks butt....literally

Axcel
02-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Got my pr of Jubals about 3 months ago and they are my first pair of JBL's and I simply luv em!!!!! The audio circle I travel in always turned there noses up at JBL until they heard these(<: As far as power needed I run an Accuphase E 202 at no more then 100 watts and they sing I see no need for monster power. Question though I have notice the port on some at the top mine has the port on the bottom and the tweeter, mid and frq controls also in a different order why?

hello9821
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
the reason is that there were 3 models of L65: the L65 Jubal, the L65A Jubal, and the L65B. I have the original model while you probably have the L65A or L65B.

toddrr
02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I have a pair which I purchased within the last year from
the original owner and are pristine. I did have to replace
the woofer with the correct jbl woofer.

They are beautiful to look at in every way and they sound
great, although they are a bit forward in presentation.
I purchased some JBL L5's to counter the forwardness and add
additional lower frequency when run in tandem or with specific
music.

The more seasoned folks will generally downgrade these which
I could understand if you have some of the larger JBL's.

However you should truly keep these, as many of the Jubals
are being sourced out, mainly because the tweeter alone is quite
valuable. This model will eventually be reasonably rare!

Mine are mint condition and will stay in the family!:)

Axcel
02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a pair which I purchased within the last year from
the original owner and are pristine. I did have to replace
the woofer with the correct jbl woofer.

They are beautiful to look at in every way and they sound
great, although they are a bit forward in presentation.
I purchased some JBL L5's to counter the forwardness and add
additional lower frequency when run in tandem or with specific
music.

The more seasoned folks will generally downgrade these which
I could understand if you have some of the larger JBL's.

However you should truly keep these, as many of the Jubals
are being sourced out, mainly because the tweeter alone is quite
valuable. This model will eventually be reasonably rare!

Mine are mint condition and will stay in the family!:)

I agree 100% bought mine mint from a gentlemen strangely enough from your State Colorado. I love them and there going my son when ever. Looked long for a speaker with some balls but with the ability to play all types of music and these are it. Source is an Accuphase P300 and C 200:applaud:

Audiobeer
02-17-2007, 09:26 PM
i;m going to be driving them with a Pioneer SA-9500 (80 wpc) or a Marantz 2250B (50 wpc). I can't really afford anything that extravagant becuase i am a 16 year old student.

They will sound good......but you'll always be able to look forward to how good they sound with a higher wattage amp. Don't let the smaller ones clip on you.