PDA

View Full Version : Minigon C46 question

Greeson
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I acquired a pair of C46 Minigons that came with the 8" LE8 drivers, but would like to replace them with LE10a, LE20s, and LX11 crossovers. I realize that this is not the original configuration, but would like any comments or suggestions. (I have the LE10s, etc.) Thanks....Maurice :blink:

SUPERBEE
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I had a Minigon set for a few years. It looked super cool. The problem was not in the HF but a real lack of depth and body in the LF. I sold the set and never looked back.

I acquired a pair of C46 Minigons that came with the 8" LE8 drivers, but would like to replace them with LE10a, LE20s, and LX11 crossovers. I realize that this is not the original configuration, but would like any comments or suggestions. (I have the LE10s, etc.) Thanks....Maurice :blink:

JBL Dog
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM

I have a Minigon and it's strictly used as a conversation piece. I have the S5 package (LE10, LE30 and LX3). As Superbee mentioned, they ain't much to listen to but they're very cool to look at!

Greeson
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the response. Hmmm....mebbe I better dump 'em and get something else. I always wanted to replace the L99's I lost in a divorce.

Storm
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I will give them a GOOD home for $50.00 plus shipping.

:p

If you are not opening up a speaker museum and you need funds to get another pair that you will actually listen to -- I say best bet is to eBay them and use the profits to get yourself a nice pair of speakers.

And a nice pair of speakers will be had with that profit, I might add!

Good luck!

Any pictures you can share with us?

Where did you find them?

Thanks.

-Storm.

:blah:

johnaec
02-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I always wanted to replace the L99's I lost in a divorce.Ya' mean S-99's? If so, I've got a pair I'll let go for $200.

John

Hofmannhp
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM

I found 2 versions in my database:

HP

PS: your parts listing stands for the S-11 system kit

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmm, why not try D130 woofers with 075 tweeters and N2400 crossovers?

Something I've always wanted to build... They'll be 'unique', and definitely a conversation piece with cool drivers.

JBL Dog
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Something I've always wanted to build... They'll be 'unique', and definitely a conversation piece with cool drivers.

A 15" driver won't fit in a Minigon. It looks like a 12 " driver may fit since the LE10 requires an adaptor ring.

grumpy
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Because other "vintage" cabs, fairly well documented in the Library here, are eminently more suitable, especially in regard to the D130... e.g.,

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/c35-c39.htm
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm

Personally, I would look for a collector who really wants the Minigons, "as-is", rather
than making firewood out of them.

-grumpy

JBL Dog
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Personally, I would look for a collector who really wants the Minigons, "as-is", rather
than making firewood out of them.

-grumpy

A pair of Minigons with LE8's should do real well on eBay. Don't ever trash a pair of Minigons regardless of their condition.

hjames
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the response. Hmmm....mebbe I better dump 'em and get something else. I always wanted to replace the L99's I lost in a divorce.

Minigons are one of the Lansing speakers that are worth much more intact than improved.
Sell it off as is for the bigs bucks, then get something with a sound you like now ...

Pay no attention to anyone that tells you to modify it - that'll just kill the originality and the value!

SUPERBEE
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Yup....Yup! I sold mine for 1K several years ago. That money helped me buy my Super Bee.

Minigons are one of the Lansing speakers that are worth much more intact than improved.
Sell it off as is for the bigs bucks, then get something with a sound you like now ...

Pay no attention to anyone that tells you to modify it - that'll just kill the originality and the value!

Audiobeer
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
A 15" driver won't fit in a Minigon. It looks like a 12 " driver may fit since the LE10 requires an adaptor ring.

Yes, but the post is like fiber. Eat enough of it and you get a very fulfilling dump!

Audiobeer
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM

If they are in any kind of shape they will do very well on Ebay. You could then turn around a find some real nice quality vintage JBLs! :applaud: