PDA

View Full Version : System info help please,, newbe

fotodan
02-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Hello to all.
Newbe here so bear with me on this. I have a chance to by a pair of Jubals. Not really sure on whether there needed or not, and how they would work with my system.

My system I have had since 1974, pr of L100's, pr of 4311B's, powered by Kenwood KA9100, which is 90 watts per channel. I listen to all styles of music, from vinyl, cassette tape, reel to reel, and cd's. Will I notice that much of a difference in the sound. My music room is our den which use to be a 2 car garage so its good size.

If I did get the jubals, then which set should I get rid of (cant keep 3 pr), the L100's, or the 4311Bs. Both prs have produce excellent sound since the day I bought them.

Thanks for all the input.
Dan

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
WELCOME to Lansing Heritage...

Most notably, the L65 Jubals use the famous 077 tweeter which will give you much improved highs. (they are VERY expensive tweeters and highly sought after). The midrange drivers are slighty improved as well. Overall, they will be a little less edgy and a bit more centered. And be much better suited for a variety of recordings and a little more versatile overall, which will be a GREAT fit for your application. And if the Kenwood you described powers your L100/4311B's fine, the Jubals should work ok with it as well.

The bass response will also be improved, you can expect smoother, more powerful and more realistic (less boomy) bass as compared to the L100. The networks are more refined as well and the resultant sound will be a little less energetic than the L100 with LE5-2 mids. Can I assume that the 4311B's have the LE5-10 midranges? If so, the 4311B's should sound a little less energetic in the midrange as compared to the L100's you have. That being said the 4311B's will sound closer to the Jubals which use the LE5-5 mids. Think of the LE5-5's as being "in-between" the LE5-2 and the LE5-10, but much closer to the LE5-10's overall. Some people say that there's no difference, but they are a bit more energetic as compared to the LE5-10, but darn close. Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here, :), but there is a "slight" difference, and its worth noting.

Some have a hard time adjusting to anything else as the L100 do present a lot of detail as that's what their ears are "used to", but they have a lot of coloration (some frequencies with more response than others) and in fact the L65 Jubal will be superior in just about everyway without losing the signature JBL monitor sound that you have grown accustomed to with the L100/4311B's. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with them... And I think they'll be just what the doctor ordered for the room you described and as I said are a bit more versatile than the L100's.

Think of them as a souped up more refined version of the L100 with better drivers all around. They will be just as pleasing without as much edginess with improved balance and a broader usable frquency range. I am actually building a set of speakers currently that will mimic all of these characteristics. If you have the opportunity and the funds to buy a set of Jubals, why not try something a little different? Speaking of which, how much you plan on spending for the Jubals? And which version of them are you considering? Since you've been listening to L100's and 4311B's for A LONG time, I think you'd most prefer the earliest version of the Jubal, the L65. Here's some technical info on the Jubals I'd look for if I were you.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L65%20Jubal%20ts.pdf

They made a L65A and L65B Jubal as well which have more sophisticated networks (more balanced), but they'll have a little less energy in the midrange and they will sound a little different than what your used to.. Maybe something to think about a little later, as the network designs do indeed make the system more in balance, but I just don't think you'd take as well to them right away as they will be noticably different than the signature 70's JBL sound your used to.

BTW<< If you decide to buy the Jubals and need to sell either the L100's or 4311B's, be sure to let me know... I'm looking for a pair.

Are the L100's the vertically aligned configuration? Or are they positioned similiar to the 4311B's? There was actually a L100 and a L100a, and there's some debate as to whether there are any sonic differences. I am convinced that all L100/L100a/4311's sound identical (with a very "slight" edge in the highs with the L100a's that have LE25 tweeters), but I have not been able to hear any discernible differences. Your 4311B's should sound a bit different as they have different midrange drivers, please confirm with us that they are indeed the LE5-10's, the 4311 came with the LE5-2 and they are noticably different.

If you have the time I'm sure we'd all love to see pics of them.. Again, welcome to the forums, and I hope we can futher assist you in making a proper decision.. Its nice to see an original owner of JBL speakers that are still being used and enjoyed as much now as they were 30+ years ago! ROCK ON!

fotodan
02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Nightbrace.
The 100's are the A's, which are same configuration as 4311's. I am looking at $1K for the jubals, and would more then likely keep the L100's, they were the first pr, I owned, Kind of like a child to me.;) I have a couple of weeks to think it over, the guy selling them also has some 4425's for sale but I dont know much about them, and price of those are $750.00.

Zilch
02-05-2007, 11:12 AM
$750 for 4425s, vs. $1000 for Jubals?

No contest, if it's the music you want to hear and not the speakers, other factors being equal.

4425s are real studio monitors, still sold up until a couple of years ago....

SUPERBEE
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I would think a 2 car garage area would be more than enough to hold those 3 sets of speakers?

With JBL, one can never have enough.:bouncy:

fotodan
02-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Superbee, thats ture, but my amp says no with only A/B hookups. I had a Pioneer receiver with built in Reverb unit in it with adjustments for flat, studio, etc., but sold it to a guy in Ca. couple of years ago after he lost his in fire. Freind of mine in army bought it for me back in mid 70's when he was stationed in Germany. That receiver had hookups for 3 sets of speakers. Should have kept that one also.:banghead:

hjames
My first question - you have a pair of L100s as well as a pair of 4311Bs

How do you use your existing 2 pairs of speakers?
Are they in the same room?
Are they both hooked up at the same time?
Do you play both pairs at the same time?

Hello to all.
Newbe here so bear with me on this. I have a chance to by a pair of Jubals. Not really sure on whether there needed or not, and how they would work with my system.

My system I have had since 1974, pr of L100's, pr of 4311B's, powered by Kenwood KA9100, which is 90 watts per channel. I listen to all styles of music, from vinyl, cassette tape, reel to reel, and cd's. Will I notice that much of a difference in the sound. My music room is our den which use to be a 2 car garage so its good size.

If I did get the jubals, then which set should I get rid of (cant keep 3 pr), the L100's, or the 4311Bs. Both prs have produce excellent sound since the day I bought them.

Thanks for all the input.
Dan

Nightbrace
Thanks, Nightbrace.
The 100's are the A's, which are same configuration as 4311's. I am looking at $1K for the jubals, and would more then likely keep the L100's, they were the first pr, I owned, Kind of like a child to me.;) I have a couple of weeks to think it over, the guy selling them also has some 4425's for sale but I dont know much about them, and price of those are $750.00.

$1k is on the HIGH END of Jubal prices. There are cheaper sets out there. Not sure if you'd be interested, but I am building a "clone" S21 system which hopefully will be superior to the Jubals when I'm done. The driver compliment is similiar with 077 tweeters, LE5-6 mids, and 121H woofers which should be better than the Jubals woofers in vertically aligned EN3 cabs in MINT condition. The LX-30 networks are nearly complete. I really don't want to sell these as I have built them for me, but I'd consider selling them to someone like you who is smitten by JBL and a "new" member at that. The speakers have factory stands are are true floorstanders.

Can you confirm whether or not the 4311B's use the same midrange drivers? You referred to them initially as 4311B's and now as 4311's, there is a difference, the 4311B used the LE5-10 mids and I believe the 2213H woofers (which to me sounded a little different, but darn "close" to the 123A's.) The 4311 is merely the identical pro-audio version of the L100a.

FYI, there were actually 2 versions of the L100a, 1 with the 123A-1 woofers and the "newer" version 123A-3 woofers, supposedly there are some minor differences, but as I said before they sounded the same to me, just thought you'd might be interested. I am assuming that they are the earlier version as you said to have bought them in 1974.

Contrary to what Zilch said, 4425's are different speakers altogether, but I agree with him that I'd rather spend $750 on them versus $1k for a set of Jubals :). You may or may not like them, they are a VERY GOOD speaker in their own right, here's some useful info on them.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1985-4425.htm

Many people prefer the 4425's to the 70's monitors like your 4311B's, although many who have grown up in the 70's who are accustomed to speakers like your L100 have a hard time getting used to them.. Given that you've been listening to L100's for 30+ years, I think you'll probably have a hard time adjusting to them as well, but these are one of the few "newer" JBL speakers that I have enjoyed listening to. In general they are a flat response speaker and are much more balanced and refined than either the L100/4311B. The signature rising response colorations of the LE5-2 are not at all present in these speakers, which on paper looks GREAT< but to someone not "used to" this, they may sound a bit boring. But that being said, why not give them a try for yourself??
These are a superior speaker, but are different than what your used to, so be prepared. Its all about what you like, so don't worry about what we have to say :).

fotodan
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Nightbrace, they are 4311B's, and L100's, not sure as to which A series they are, have never had them opened up to see the back of the sub.

Heather, yes I do have them in same room, (22'X22'), yes, they are hooked up and playing at the same time.;)

SUPERBEE
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I would still buy em and try all 3 in all the different configs and find out which ones you like the best. You never know untill you hear it.

hjames
02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Nightbrace, they are 4311B's, and L100's, not sure as to which A series they are, have never had them opened up to see the back of the sub.

Heather, yes I do have them in same room, (22'X22'),
yes, they are hooked up and playing at the same time.;)

Okay - it's a square room - there could be issues with that, but ok ...
Do you run one set in the front of the room and the other set in the rear, OR
Do you have both sets in the same end of the room?

fotodan
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay - it's a square room - there could be issues with that, but ok ...
Do you run one set in the front of the room and the other set in the rear, OR
Do you have both sets in the same end of the room?

I have both sets same end of room with L100's on side,and 4311B's on top of them, on a stand that places them 8" off floor and a 3* angle on the stands where the fronts of speakers are leaned back 3 degrees, to get the mids and tweeters to an ear level and a little higher. May not be the right way to do it, but I am crammed for room.:blink:

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Do the 4311B's have convex (domed outward) dustcaps? Where as the L100a's have concave (domed inward) dustcaps?

If so the mids are different, and which one you prefer makes a difference as to which JBL speaker you should try next.

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I have both sets same end of room with L100's on side,and 4311B's on top of them, on a stand that places them 8" off floor and a 3* angle on the stands where the fronts of speakers are leaned back 3 degrees, to get the mids and tweeters to an ear level and a little higher. May not be the right way to do it, but I am crammed for room.:blink:

As long as the speakers are both at the same height and facing towards you at the same distance apart, you should be fine.. If you need to angle the speakers backwards a little, they may be a bit bright for your room.. You described earlier that your living room used to be a garage?? Is it now carpetted or hardwood? Where do you have your L-pads? And is your amp set to the Flat or 0 setting for both treble and bass?

hjames
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Honest opinion go listen to the 4425s - REALLY listen to them.
The Jubals are better known and sell for more money, but generally speaking, they are not the better of the two, just more well known.
The 4425s will sound different than your current speakers, but they are Studio Monitors and have a really good quality of sound. If you can, bring them on home and try them in your room.

My suspicion is your best set will be with the 4425s on top and the 4311Bs
under them (where the L100s used to be).

L100s generally have a real good resale value - much better than the actual sound they produce. They are probably the pair to sell, if you can bear parting with your old friends.

fotodan
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
As long as the speakers are both at the same height and facing towards you at the same distance apart, you should be fine.. If you need to angle the speakers backwards a little, they may be a bit bright for your room.. You described earlier that your living room used to be a garage?? Is it now carpetted or hardwood? Where do you have your L-pads? And is your amp set to the Flat or 0 setting for both treble and bass?

Okay on 4311B's they are domed out, and l-pad settings are on 7 & 7.
L100's they are domed in, setting are on 0, they only have minus db's on scale.
On amp, base and treble are both set at +1.

The den is tile, but we have big throw rugs all over the place, and speakers are seperated from L to R at 14'.

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Honest opinion go listen to the 4425s - REALLY listen to them.
The Jubals are better known and sell for more money, but generally speaking, they are not the better of the two, just more well known.
The 4425s will sound different than your current speakers, but they are Studio Monitors and have a really good quality of sound. If you can, bring them on home and try them in your room.

My suspicion is your best set will be with the 4425s on top and the 4311Bs
under them (where the L100s used to be).

L100s generally have a real good resale value - much better than the actual sound they produce. They are probably the pair to sell, if you can bear parting with your old friends.

I agree completely :applaud: , but isn't good to warn him not to go off his first impressions? Maybe listen to nothing but the 4425's for awhile for his hearing to adjust and then go back to the 4311B's to see which one he likes better?

I personally think he'd like the early Jubals more than any of these from what he described, but for $1k? Thats a LOT of money. And they may not be the early L65's/ The later Jubals I've never liked much, but they may be closer to the 4425's in terms of presentation. Not trying to imply that the 4425's are bad sounding speakers, on the contrary, just a little different than what he's used to.

Heather, you gotta remember, old habits die hard, he's been listening to the same "energetic" speakers for 30+ years. Hard to convert to something that sounds "boring" at first listen.. Which is why he needs to listen to only the 4425 for awhile, don't you think?

Zilch
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, they are hooked up and playing at the same time.;)

:banghead:

fotodan
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
nightbrace, I might well indeed be interested in your "clone" s21's.

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Okay on 4311B's they are domed out, and l-pad settings are on 7 & 7.
L100's they are domed in, setting are on 0, they only have minus db's on scale.
On amp, base and treble are both set at +1.

The den is tile, but we have big throw rugs all over the place, and speakers are seperated from L to R at 14'.

Ok, confirmed, you got LE5-10 mids in those 4311B's.

The fact that you are raising the bass and treble is telling me that you are OK with an energetic speaker and that they are not overpowering for you.

I'm not going to tell you which sounds better, you gotta tell us. They are a bit different, and you should be able to distinguish between the two.

When testing the speakers, keep your amp at 0. I've never owned 4311B's, can I assume that 7 means "+2" with 5 being in the middle? If so, put them both in the middle (their factory setting). And if possible place them next to each other on either side with the midrange's at the same height and same angle towards you..

Its kinda tricky, but if you have someone that can push in the Speaker A button while switching to Speaker B without both pairs playing, you can do a "real world" A/B test. The dB ratings should be nearly the same, so you should be okay with this.. This is not very technical, but will give us a better idea of what you like. Close your eyes and have the person switch from one speaker to the other at certain points in the music, during a sustained note, or a passage your used to.

Whichever speaker you like better you should keep.. And to get the BEST speaker for you. Repeat this process until your satisfied, or at least content for the moment :). Some of us never are, and the fact that you've had these for 30+ years, tells me that your VERY content with them! When comparing speakers with different efficiencies its a bit harder, but we can guide you through it..

SEAWOLF97
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Hard to convert to something that sounds "boring" at first listen.. Which is why he needs to listen to only the 4425 for awhile, don't you think?

I've had so many speakers up in the LR that I can't remember them all. When I picked up the 4410s, they sounded dry and clinical, boring and very different.

They were replaced with 4412's and then the current OHM F's.

Despite the "upgrades" , I still kinda miss the "honesty" of the 4410's. :( They are sitting in "inside storage" , wish I had an app for them.

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
nightbrace, I might well indeed be interested in your "clone" s21's.

First you gotta tell us what you like, I can always swap in different drivers for you and/or devise different networks. Where are you located? If I am going to sell these, they are not going to be shipped. They are as MINT as MINT gets. Will not risk having them damaged.

hjames
02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Sure - but it sounds like he's real used to running double speakers in the corners of a square room with the tone controls a bit hot on the receiver and the Lpads cranked on on the speakers ...

So - if he buys the cheaper of the speakers for sale, the 4425s, which, I think a number of folks would agree that they are better FOR THE MONEY ...
he will probably find the 4311 monitors may work better with them and he can get good money for the L100s - assuming everything is in good working shape.
I think the Jubals, like the L100s, sell for more because they are better known - but his money will go a lot farther with the Monitors ...

Again - its up to him ... these are just suggestions we make

I agree completely :applaud: , but isn't good to warn him not to go off his first impressions? Maybe listen to nothing but the 4425's for awhile for his hearing to adjust and then go back to the 4311B's to see which one he likes better?

I personally think he'd like the early Jubals more than any of these from what he described, but for $1k? Thats a LOT of money. And they may not be the early L65's/ The later Jubals I've never liked much, but they may be closer to the 4425's in terms of presentation. Not trying to imply that the 4425's are bad sounding speakers, on the contrary, just a little different than what he's used to.

Heather, you gotta remember, old habits die hard, he's been listening to the same "energetic" speakers for 30+ years. Hard to convert to something that sounds "boring" at first listen.. Which is why he needs to listen to only the 4425 for awhile, don't you think?

hjames
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
:banghead:

Wait - who was the guy with the stacked speakers we argued with a few months back ... he he he

Zilch
02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I can always swap in different drivers for you and/or devise different networks.

Right:

BTW<< For a guy who knows nothing at ALL about crossover design, I'm not doing too bad am I?

I know nothing about crossover theory, but at least am competent enough to build networks from a schematic, not a highly technical skill, I know, but its a start...

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Sure - but it sounds like he's real used to running double speakers in the corners of a square room with the tone controls a bit hot on the receiver and the Lpads cranked on on the speakers ...

So - if he buys the cheaper of the speakers for sale, the 4425s, which, I think a number of folks would agree that they are better FOR THE MONEY ...
he will probably find the 4311 monitors may work better with them and he can get good money for the L100s - assuming everything is in good working shape.
I think the Jubals, like the L100s, sell for more because they are better known - but his money will go a lot farther with the Monitors ...

Again - its up to him ... these are just suggestions we make

Yeah, he really needs to listen to one pair at a time at the same height. How can he possibly be expected to tell them apart?? Actually, if he must stack them, I like the early L65 Jubals on the floor at setting 0 of course :), and the 4311B flipped so that the woofers are on the top. That would be a neat A/B set-up and both equally energetic and enjoyable with a broader frequency response and bass edge going to the Jubals. Having had both the 4425 and Jubals (all 3 versions), there are disernible differences, and if he has to crank up his L100's via the L-pad and on his amp, in a "live" room, then those 4425's will sound flat out boring unless he listens to nothing but the 4425's without worrying about how they compare.

I think we'll all agree that they are the better speaker, especially for the money, and especially for the room acoustics he is describing, but I have a feeling he'll be raising that amp up even higher than +1 for his tastes. I wish he had the money for some L300's, that would solve ALL his problems :).

If he's close to IL, I might just be a nice guy and set those speakers up properly for him and maybe find him a nice speaker selector so he can keep 4 pairs or more :). Maybe we can work out a deal for my EN3's. who knows? I KNOW I can get those sounding good in his room. But then what do I do? :banghead:

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Zilch, you're really on the prowl today. What I meant is that if he doesn't like the LX-30 networks, we'll have to figure something out for him. The "we" that I'm referring to is the perverbial LH "we". I know that with our collective knowledge we could come up with something for him. And of course I can build them now :).. Not as bad as I thought.

Zilch
02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Wait - who was the guy with the stacked speakers we argued with a few months back ... he he he'Zactly.

Somebody been listening to L100s for 30 years, let alone stacked ones, would do well to consider exploring "new" horizons.

After years of discussing this, the only known advantage to multiples is they play louder.

There's far better approaches to resolving that issue than adding another design with different voicing into the already significantly compromised mix....

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Zilch, I think he at least needs to listen to one pair at a time and figure out which one he likes better for us to 'really' help him.. Old habits die hard though, and no matter how much we convince him, he'll always have a special place for the L100's.. Which is why you should keep the speakers you know you already like and always be willing to try something new... Maybe thats why I have like 15 pairs of speakers, IDK.. But according to you all of them sound like CRAP, so maybe I shouldn't be one to hand out advice to anyone. Even if its someone who seems to have the same crappy tastes in speakers as me ;) .

fotodan
02-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Okay, placed all settings on flat (0), had A/B switched back and forth with speakers at same height, and the 4311B's most definately had the better sound, (like any of you would think different). L100's had little more boomy bass, but just not the highs as the 4311B's...

And I am located in SW corner of Va., and I am open for road trip any weekend needed.

Zilch
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Zilch, you're really on the prowl today.Yeah, we can now add all three versions of L65, PLUS 4425s, to the ever-expanding list of JBLs you've had and are therefore well familiar with:

You must not have dabbled in the world that I do, mainly using EV, Stephen's Trusonic, Tannoy, TAD, ALE, Smith (horns), and yes even PAudio, Lowther-Voight etc. I am into Point-Source full range drivers, coaxials, triaxials, and yes of course 2-way horn systems.. My favorite of which still being Altec, for the most part, especially for home use.

Which is why I know LITTLE about JBL, except that they make one MEAN transducer.

I just can't decide whether you're pathologically delusional or merely an out-and-out fraud, is all.... :D

fotodan
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Would most definately give up the L100's for better sounding speaker. Ebay, look out ........
Anyone here interested in nice pr L100's????:)

Zilch
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
But according to you all of them sound like CRAP, so maybe I shouldn't be one to hand out advice to anyone.Wrong again, P-Audio breath. There's only two speakers I've ever said sound like crap in these forums, and you have never heard either of them, or, at least, never claimed to have, ... yet.... :p

BMWCCA
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey! I'm in Virginia, too! Share the wealth. You take those good-looking Jubals and I'll take those nasty industrial 4425s off his hands. I'll even bring my pickup or van (weather dependent) and help you get yours set-up. Now how can you pass on a deal like that? :bouncy:

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Zilch, I've heard a LOT of speakers, too many to mention, and haven't owned very many of them very long, I guess I get real bored real quick. Many of the speakers I've heard were hardly under the best conditions and sometimes at people's houses with different gear, room acoustics etc. So its hardly an objective opinion most of the time. The speakers I can be objective about are the ones that I've personally owned and if you wish for me to send you a PM of all of the speakers I've personally owned and evaluated you'd be little shocked, and probably appauled at what I think of them, including many of the supposed GREAT JBL systems..

Unlike the majority of you on these forums, I don't think that EVERY JBL system is the BEST and that the "newer" JBL's are ALL better than the older speakers. To me, some are good, but MOST are mediocre, and a few downright awful... but the ones that are good are REALLY good and worth the effort... All of the speakers mentioned in this thread to me are very good.. but not EXCEPTIONAL... If he wants exceptional he needs something like the L300, which will fulfill all his needs, probably for the rest of his life, given that he's been listening to JBL for 30+ years.

Based on the input this new member has given us, and with the choices being a $1k Jubal (way overpriced), a $750 4425, L100, or 4311B..
And the fact that he can only keep 2,

I recommended he buy the 4425, and keep the 4311B. The Jubals would be a better choice I think, but not at that price. $1k is too much I'd accept $800 for my EN3's right now, and I think they will result in a better sounding speaker once I'm all done.

Am I wrong, probably, but we don't have much to go on, and we need to get a better "feel" for his situation. That said, do I have 30+ years of knowing what I like to listen to? HECK NO! Which is why he needs to make this decision not me.. But we can attempt to aid him in the right direction to narrow down his choices. Which I think all of us have done.

Just because we all think that the 4425 is a better sounding speaker, doesn't mean that he will. And frankly how can you assume that he will based on the information that he has given us so far? Its obvious that he likes what he has already, and he needs to understand that he is not going to get a similiar sounding speaker in the 4425. They are very different from one another, and he needs to understand that it may take some time for his ears to adjust.

If you want to turn yet another thread into a public Nightbrace bashing, thats fine, better yet, maybe we should start a whole section just for me and waste more of everyone's time... I'm game, but its not fair to fotodan.

Not that I'm one that has any right to tell anybody what to do, but unless you have something to say that will help this person make a decision, than you need to drop whatever hostility that you have towards me.. My advice to you is to recommend to the moderators that I need to be black-listed if I am truly that much of a problem. Maybe that would be the best for all of us, including me, as its obvious that I have no right to be here or to state my opinion.

hjames
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Zilch, I think he at least needs to listen to one pair at a time and figure out which one he likes better for us to 'really' help him.. Old habits die hard though, and no matter how much we convince him, he'll always have a special place for the L100's.. Which is why you should keep the speakers you know you already like and always be willing to try something new... Maybe thats why I have like 15 pairs of speakers, IDK.. But according to you all of them sound like CRAP, so maybe I shouldn't be one to hand out advice to anyone. Even if its someone who seems to have the same crappy tastes in speakers as me ;) .

Look - it sounds like his tastes are different than either of ours ...
at least at the moment - and if they are original and in good condition, he'd be wise to sell the L100s before the market value changes - besides if he sells BOTH sets of his current speakers he can move up even further ... but that doesn't sound like an option he considered ...

Nightbrace
02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Look - it sounds like his tastes are different than either of ours ...
at least at the moment - and if they are original and in good condition, he'd be wise to sell the L100s before the market value changes - besides if he sells BOTH sets of his current speakers he can move up even further ... but that doesn't sound like an option he considered ...

Doesn't seem like it.. Its nice to have different "flavors" of speakers around so to speak. And I for one see no problem in keeping a set of speakers that has given him so much enjoyment over the years. I already offered to buy a set from him, we'll see.. I have sold all my LE5-2 based studio monitors, and would like to use a pair for the bedroom which is VERY soft and needs some "energy", in more ways than one :D .

If he's close my EN3's would be an excellent choice for him as we can get them to sound good in his room, they should already, like a souped up version of the L65, but not sure where he's from. Bottom line is that I'm not shipping these, they are too nice.