PDA

View Full Version : sagging surrounds

Alex Lancaster
01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi everybody, I´m back from the boonies, a late Merry Xmas and happy New Year, just got 6 mo.´s worth of eBay all at once, lots of work to do, thanks Mike Caldwell, JBLDog and others.

Among the little treasures I got 4 2410's, one of them says 2405!, the #´s are all pretty close, 223x, and I´m sure it is the original foilcal.

Anyway, some of the 2205/25 cloth surrounds have sagged in, (no sagging jokes pls), what would be the proper solvent and then the resin treatment?

Also some 2235/45´s; I´m planning to put a 9VDC 15watt power supply to them, what solvent should I use?, I tried lacquer thinner years ago, with so-so results.

Should I use something on the spiders?

Thanks, Alex.

GordonW
01-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Alex, one thing to try... if you can, with some small foam blocks or whatnot, block the cone out to the correct "center rest" position of travel, then heat up the surrounds and spiders with a hot hair blow dryer, or a "hardware" hot-air heat gun set on a LOW setting (don't wanna BURN it, just get it nice and toasty hot). This will sometimes "re-set" the fabric in a surround or spider (akin to ironing a shirt), and may allow the speaker to rest at the normal position OK.

Regards,
Gordon.

Alex Lancaster
01-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks Gordon, sounds good; Do You know what the "dope" on the cloth is?

Alex.