PDA

View Full Version : Tuner spray,Pioneer and JBL

kingjames
02-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Had the old problem with scratchy switches with my old Pioneer SX1250. It got so bad I couldn't even use it for fear of damaging my speakers so I didn't use it for a month. Got tired of nothing to play so I had to take matters into my own hands.I know from experience that scratchy switches are almost always in need of cleaning so this is what I proceded to do.

There is a person on Ebay that does complete restorations for $359.95 plus $80.00 to ship to him and another $80.00 for return shipping. Needless to say I was too cheap to pay that amount and it would have been hard for me to transport it to UPS for delivery so I attempted to do it myself.

After an hour or so to get up the courage to take this thing apart I started to unscrew things to get at the switches. There are 4 horizontal circuit board's on top that if you remove the plugs from them they will pop out completely and after removing the plugs I remove these boards.I noticed that the prongs on all of these plugs were black from discoloration and used 0000 stel wool to clean them off making sure that no strands were left on these prongs that would cause a short later. I then sprayed each plug with tuner cleaner and reinstalled these four boards.

I then took the bottom cover off this unit and retightened every screw I could find. I also checked the boards for needs of resoldering but after checking for an hour came to the conclusion that I didn't need that.

I now went after the switches the volume level and the balance control's specifically. I had to remove a total of about 15 screws just to get to the switches and after doing so sprayed each with a generous amount of tuner cleaner and worked each switch back and forth for about one half hour. I sprayed every switch on the front panel giving priority to both the volume and balance switches. I then cleaned the front panel with a soft cloth and gave the face plate a bath of sorts.

I then put everything back together and hoped for the best. I can honestly say now it sounds better than ever before. I truly love this great receiver and the power it delivers will drive the best of speakers. I have my 250ti's on the front and my L96's in the rear and it is pure pleasure.This receiver drives these 4 speakers with ease and the JBL'S sound better than ever.What a combination!

I know there are a few here that do not like receivers but I would match this receiver to any thing you have. This receiver is truly a classic monster with more power than you could possibly use.

To check out my work I played a little floyd and zeppelin and when I played "stairway to heaven" I decided to turn it up. I had it quite loud and drew the attention of the kid next door who always mow's my lawn. he fell in love with my setup and I proceeded to educate him on JBL. He was hooked as I could see it in his eyes. He told me that he never heard something sound so good. He is now a new JBL fan.

I have included some pictures of my beast and this thing is mint and on a scale of 1-10 this is a 10. If you look at the heat sinks you will see that the paint ain't even chipped anywhere. I truly have a perfect match with this receiver and my JBL'S.

It's amazing what you can accomplish with just a little tuner spray and the willingness to do the job. I'm glad I decided to take this on. Tuner spray was only $10.00 at Radio Shack.

Nightbrace
02-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Nice of you to educate someone..

If you liked Radio Shack's tuner cleaner, its okay, I've used it, but not intended for this purpose.. Try CAIG De-OX-IT, its cheaper, lubricates better, and works for just about everything... Parts Express sells it. BTW< see my previous post, that receiver you got there is a great performer... My fav. Pioneer with my L36's... Ultimately to get better sound you gotta do some reconstructive surgery to the networks in your speakers.. And if you ever want to sell them, let me know :).

I am a little confused are you running all 4 speakers at once?? If so, this is not a Quad system and has only 2 channels in its amp section. The "rear" channels have the same signal as your "fronts". The A B C speaker buttons are merely for switching from one speaker to the other... and they are run in series when 2 or more of them are depressed... So the amp is really only driving 2 speaker channels at a time... even though all 4 are making noise. You should have no need to run all 4 speakers at once... Switch between them for a different presentation. Or look into a QUAD set-up.. I think you'll really enjoy it. While it may sound "cool" with 4 speakers running, this is not the way the artist intended you to hear their music.. Their were QUAD recordings and can sound VERY good.

I have done what you have, or very similiar, to 50 or more units... I normally spend the money and get the factory schematics/specs and make sure everything is to spec and ALWAYS properly align the tuner.. I've never been happy with the tuning until I do as it moves slightly when its shipped or moved around. It takes me 4-6 hours normally, and usually only have to attend to minor things.. When there are parts needed it costs more, but Pioneer still makes replacement parts. Easy to get and for the most part, easy to diagnose and fix.. $359 is insane money to spend on a receiver repair... You can buy a "nicer" one for half that and do all of these checks yourself fairly easily.

Maybe I should start doing this, I'd only charge $75-$100, what I've charged my friends to "clean" their receivers.. And even then I felt a little guilty as I enjoy it so much.. And I bet I do a better job than these Ebay restorers who probably are only worried about the cosmetics.. I can't say that I've had a complaint and a few of the units I have sold on classicaudio.com I'd consider to be museum quality pieces... Just never thought it was a worthwhile business with such modest gear, seems as if this may be changing... Some of these monster Pioneers are bringing BIG money.

Your Pioneer does not have DC amplication, its cap coupled. Pioneer's SX-x80 offerings will be superior to this receiver. The reason why I like a cap coupled amp section for the L36's is that it smooths out the bass slightly.. You will get better highs and more realistic lows with a DC Pioneer. Its frequency bandwidth is much greater and this translates to a broader and more detailed presentation. The differences are minor, but its worth the effort for an upgrade. I'd recommed highly the SX-1280 as a replacement for this one... Just a thought... They sell for about the same... Sent you a PM in regards to your speakers...

JBL Dog
02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
I just picked up an old Sansui 1000X receiver yesterday. The pots were in horrible shape, nothing but NASTY cracking and static. I've been using QD Electronics Cleaner to clean the contacts. It can be purchased at Auto Zone. An 11 ounce can is around $5.00. Stuff works great! The Sansui unit is quite a bit easier to work on than the XX50 series of Pioneer Receivers. After dousing all the pots and replacing all the bulbs while I was in there, she looks and sounds new again. It's amazing what contact cleaner can do.

Nightbrace
02-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I just picked up an old Sansui 1000X receiver yesterday. The pots were in horrible shape, nothing but NASTY cracking and static. I've been using QD Electronics Cleaner to clean the contacts. It can be purchased at Auto Zone. An 11 ounce can is around $5.00. Stuff works great! The Sansui unit is quite a bit easier to work on than the XX50 series of Pioneer Receivers. After dousing all the pots and replacing all the bulbs while I was in there, she looks and sounds new again. It's amazing what contact cleaner can do.

It is amazing what a little cleaning can do, that stuff it is really potent, I would not recommend it, its intended for more "heavy duty" use, but your Sansui sounded like it was in need of something heavy duty.. I've never had any issues with CAIG which is why I recommend it... I doubt you would have used the QD with a $500+ receiver.... But why not for a el cheapo Sansui :). Not that the build or sound is el cheapo/ Those older Sansuis are really neat and freakin' cheap... The build quality is amazing, they're tanks, sound not quite as good as their later offerings, but you could drop some of the earlier models off a cliff and they'd still work.

Storm
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
My dad has a pioneer 1250. The right channel keeps cutting out. Do you guys think he just needs to use this cleaner stuff?

Let me know and I will let him know.

Thanks.

-Storm.

JBL Dog
02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
It is amazing what a little cleaning can do, that stuff it is really potent, I would not recommend it, its intended for more "heavy duty" use, but your Sansui sounded like it was in need of something heavy duty.. I've never had any issues with CAIG which is why I recommend it... I doubt you would have used the QD with a $500+ receiver.... But why not for a el cheapo Sansui :). Not that the build or sound is el cheapo/ Those older Sansuis are really neat and freakin' cheap... The build quality is amazing, they're tanks, sound not quite as good as their later offerings, but you could drop some of the earlier models off a cliff and they'd still work.

No comment

duaneage
02-02-2007, 04:59 AM

And he wonders why people jump all over him.

Titanium Dome
02-02-2007, 08:11 AM

It is amazing what a little cleaning can do. That QD is really potent--would you recommend it only for heavy duty cleaning like your Sansui needed or does your experience tell it's good all the time? I've never had any issues with CAIG, which is why I recommend it.

Congrats on the old Sansui you just picked up. Those can be real bargains, they're really neat, and they're built like tanks. They sound good, too, though I think the later models were a bit better; however, you could drop some of the early ones off a cliff and they'd still work. ;) Sounds like you did a great job of bringing yours back to life. I like it when vintage gear gets a second chance.

kingjames
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Nightbrace what you say may be correct but that is not why I posted this. I only wanted to emphasize the use of a tuner cleaner and in this case the stuff I purchased at Radio Shack. I'm sure there are better cleaner's and deoxidizers and all but, I felt the stuff that I got from Radio Shack was sufficient. Not trying to sell Radio Shack tuner spray here only a tuner spray and it doesn't matter where you get it from.I only got it from Radio Shack because it is less than a mile from my house.

I don't know all about quad receivers and don't care to know about them.I don't care that this amp only plays 2 channel stereo but I do know that I like it when it plays 4 speakers instead of the two. When I play the 4 speakers at once I get nice highs in the front of me because my L96's are hooked to the rear inputs on my receiver even though these speakers are placed in the front of me on my hutch on my desk and my front speakers are actually in the rear of me. This set up gives me nice highs in the front and the awesome bass in the rear of me. I have listened to speakers this way all my life. It might not be the proper way to set things up but this works for me.

I do not have the knowledge to experiment with the crossovers on my speakers and though I read quite a bit of info here on that it is not necessary for me to do that to enjoy my speakers. Maybe if I was younger I would go that route but now for me it's only about listening to them. My experimental days are long gone.

I was proud of myself here that I was able to do this on my own and saved more than a few bucks at the same time and all the other stuff you mentioned i'm sure is right for you but not for me.

I didn't say I have the best receiver but only was willing to match any one's gear in power only. This is a true beast and performs well even when rocking 4 speakers,ohms are not a problem with this receiver.

Nightbrace do you remember that pm I sent you? Do you remember what I said to you? You are doing exactly what I asked you not to do. Let me enjoy my little trinkets and share my story for maybe it's not a big deal for you beause you do 50 or more of these every year but this is the first one I've done and it was a big deal for me.

I'm sure you have all of this talent and all but this was not a thread of me asking for your advice but only to say I fixed my receiver for cheap money.

When I use the term "educate someone" I only mean to explain to people why I like what I listen to in the case of my neighbor when he came over because he heard my system next door. I educated him by explaining what I had and when it was made and he enjoy the conversation as much as I did. I even showed him this site to get a better perspective in what I was talking about. He couldn't believe there was a site that people talk about speakers and amps and stuff and he got a big kick out of it. I think he will join later.

I am very easy to get along with and if I have a fault it is to stick up for the underdog and catch alot of BS because I do that. Your response to this thread is not what I was looking for and if you continue to do what I asked you not to do in the pm that I sent you then I can only say that you will find me against you as well.

Please don't try and educate me when I share a story just enjoy the story and if you feel you need to rip this story apart then I would appreciate to have your opinion in a pm. Thankyou!

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I share a story just enjoy the story and if you feel you need to rip this story apart then I would appreciate to have your opinion in a pm. Thankyou!

I enjoyed the story and found it usefull. Always appreciate the work of retelling it clearly, I dont always have this knack.

Nice to see a DIY restore

Nightbrace
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Nightbrace what you say may be correct but that is not why I posted this. I only wanted to emphasize the use of a tuner cleaner and in this case the stuff I purchased at Radio Shack. I'm sure there are better cleaner's and deoxidizers and all but, I felt the stuff that I got from Radio Shack was sufficient. Not trying to sell Radio Shack tuner spray here only a tuner spray and it doesn't matter where you get it from.I only got it from Radio Shack because it is less than a mile from my house.

I don't know all about quad receivers and don't care to know about them.I don't care that this amp only plays 2 channel stereo but I do know that I like it when it plays 4 speakers instead of the two. When I play the 4 speakers at once I get nice highs in the front of me because my L96's are hooked to the rear inputs on my receiver even though these speakers are placed in the front of me on my hutch on my desk and my front speakers are actually in the rear of me. This set up gives me nice highs in the front and the awesome bass in the rear of me. I have listened to speakers this way all my life. It might not be the proper way to set things up but this works for me.

I do not have the knowledge to experiment with the crossovers on my speakers and though I read quite a bit of info here on that it is not necessary for me to do that to enjoy my speakers. Maybe if I was younger I would go that route but now for me it's only about listening to them. My experimental days are long gone.

I was proud of myself here that I was able to do this on my own and saved more than a few bucks at the same time and all the other stuff you mentioned i'm sure is right for you but not for me.

I didn't say I have the best receiver but only was willing to match any one's gear in power only. This is a true beast and performs well even when rocking 4 speakers,ohms are not a problem with this receiver.

Nightbrace do you remember that pm I sent you? Do you remember what I said to you? You are doing exactly what I asked you not to do. Let me enjoy my little trinkets and share my story for maybe it's not a big deal for you beause you do 50 or more of these every year but this is the first one I've done and it was a big deal for me.

I'm sure you have all of this talent and all but this was not a thread of me asking for your advice but only to say I fixed my receiver for cheap money.

When I use the term "educate someone" I only mean to explain to people why I like what I listen to in the case of my neighbor when he came over because he heard my system next door. I educated him by explaining what I had and when it was made and he enjoy the conversation as much as I did. I even showed him this site to get a better perspective in what I was talking about. He couldn't believe there was a site that people talk about speakers and amps and stuff and he got a big kick out of it. I think he will join later.

I am very easy to get along with and if I have a fault it is to stick up for the underdog and catch alot of BS because I do that. Your response to this thread is not what I was looking for and if you continue to do what I asked you not to do in the pm that I sent you then I can only say that you will find me against you as well.

Please don't try and educate me when I share a story just enjoy the story and if you feel you need to rip this story apart then I would appreciate to have your opinion in a pm. Thankyou!

I agree with you, and I am sorry, never tried to FORCE you to do anything.. Just thought I'd make a few general observations... And I too have used the Radio Shack tuner cleaner with great results, seems as if you have too. Its good to see that you really enjoy what you have and nobody has the right to force to think otherwise, I hope you accept my apology... I thought I was being careful with what I said and only meant to be helpful and share my experiences with you.. I can see that you took my comments as demeaning towards you, and nothing could be further from the truth, nothing makes me happier than to see someone enjoy music and be happy with what they have... And of course to open someone else's eyes to what they are missing... Seems as if you turned someone else onto JBL and for that we shoudl all be grateful!! Congrats!

transducergeek
02-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Cleaning you can do yourself with some time and patience. Congrats! It feels good to do it yourself... Save that money for Music or Pizza or other important stuff... Glad you are enjoying your JBL's and your sound set-up... And glad you did not send your gear across the nation for big dollars.... I also clean/restore older gear with noisy pots and switches... I buy a lot of stuff at yard sales etc.. They are always needing control device and contact "De-Scratch" work... If I may suggest to everyone, another cleaning product that is cheap to buy and quite effective. A solvent, Naphtha... often called VM&P Naphtha. You can obtain a quart can at Home Depot for around $5.00 This amount will last you about 1/2 lifetime. .. I have used this many times and it always gets the crud off contacts fast.. Also good for sticky Goo removal... But don't smoke or roast marshmallows around it, it's flamable! (Basically, it's Lighter Fluid) Best of luck to all, Rolf.

KJ Hall
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Another, non flammable :flamer: , method is to use a simple pencil eraser on contacts if you can get to them. Good for card edge connectors (flat metal contacts on the edge of boards) but I don't know how often they are used in audio stuff. Not necessarily magnetic but still an issue with debris, though.

kingjames
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
My dad has a pioneer 1250. The right channel keeps cutting out. Do you guys think he just needs to use this cleaner stuff?

Let me know and I will let him know.

Thanks.

-Storm.

Storm this is exactly what was happening with mine. The switches mostly balance and volume were super scratchy and the two channels would cut out once in a while and then come back in. What I did to mine has solved both these problems and to verify this I ran it all day at moderate volume to see if the problems came back and I am happy to say that they didn't.

I would try it with your dad's,you've got nothing to lose.

John
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Check the speaker relay,s that delay the output till the circuits stabilize to avoid the dreaded thump.;)