PDA

View Full Version : 4425 Recone/re-surround

Andyoz
01-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi,

I've got a bit of dialogue going with a seller of some well used 4425's (ex-studio) in the UK. I posted a link in Marketplace section.

He said that one of the woofers on his pair has been changed. I think he is getting confused that it was either reconed or refoamed. From the picture below, can anyone tell if a full recone has been done? Also, if he extracts the driver in question, is there any way to tell that a "proper" recone job was done, i.e. JBL codes stamped on the back of the cone, etc. Thanks.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/jbl2.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/jbl.jpg

SEAWOLF97
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
looks to me like proper cone , been refoamed and I think glued to the front side.

Andyoz
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Also,

Does anyone think that these cabinets are beyond saving? Would some steel wool and decent wood restorer do anything for them. I think that's paint splatter on the cabinet (probably painted the studio ceiling with a roller with the cabinets left in-situ :()

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/jbl3.jpg

Andyoz
01-30-2007, 08:28 AM
looks to me like proper cone , been refoamed and I think glued to the front side.

Yes, I thought the surround looked slightly odd. The other surrounds that I have seen "glued to the front" tend to to have much more foam showing on the actual cone, these seems much more tidy. Strange.

SEAWOLF97
01-30-2007, 08:31 AM
detail them out ..light sanding , oiling.

will come out very nice , I've worked on much worse than those.

sourceoneaudio
01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
I would say the re-foam was on the right one. The give away is the width of the glue used to hold down the dust cap. Factory JBL glue is more narrow and and has more of a gloss to it. The factory look is very hard to duplicate it takes a very skilled hand. The driver I had re-foamed had this same issue. They either can't get the correct looking glue or the applicator is to fat.

J/S-S1A :D

Zilch
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I always cringe when someone says "Steel wool" around speakers, because of the magnetic attraction of fragments.

Scotchbrite finishing pads don't have that problem.

Yes, I think they will clean up nicely.... :thmbsup:

Andyoz
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes, I think they will clean up nicely.... :thmbsup:

Ahhhh, stop it. If this keeps up I'll be buying the bloody things next.

If they had grilles, I'd be in there quick smart.

p.s. Anyone got some spare 4425 grilles :D (or templates to make a set :D:D)

doodlebug
02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Ahhhh, stop it. If this keeps up I'll be buying the bloody things next.

If they had grilles, I'd be in there quick smart.

p.s. Anyone got some spare 4425 grilles :D (or templates to make a set :D:D)

Why, yes, I have a set of grille frames - the speakers were traded away. They've swelled a bit from moisture but the shape/thickness is correct.

Anyone want them? Yours for the cost of shipping from California. I'd like to see them go to a good home.

Cheers,

David

mbottz
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
If any of the scratches are a bit deep you risk sanding through the veneer. I have had great luck with a light sanding to remove the oil, then take a wet towell and place over the scratched areas. Then take a hot Iron and work the areas with the scratches several times letting the Iron heat back up between sessions. Once complete let dry and sand again for finish / final sanding. All but the deepest scratches will come out and even the deep ones will become much less noticable. Just be very careful as the veneer is thin and wont take a lot of sanding in one spot. I recomend a block so not to sand too much in one place.

Best of luck

mb

Audiobeer
02-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Why, yes, I have a set of grille frames - the speakers were traded away. They've swelled a bit from moisture but the shape/thickness is correct.

Anyone want them? Yours for the cost of shipping from California. I'd like to see them go to a good home.

Cheers,

David

I'll take them! Be glad to pay shipping and a little extra! :)

boputnam
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
I would say the re-foam was on the right one. Bingo.

The surround is "done" proper, glued to the rear of the cone, but a mediocre job, at best. The "discolored" glue around the dustcap is merely a different, non-factory glue type with wrong coloration / hue.

All that said, I would run a sweep on the woof to ensure it was properly centered. No telling with the below-good quality of the resurround.

That said, there is no reason that woof couldn't have been reconed, which is the absolute right way to go.

Regardless, send 'em off to Audiobeer - there are few who can match his cabinet skills. They'll be ship shape in no time...