PDA

View Full Version : Signature Speaker Model 375

Basics101
01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm hoping for info on repair. My father in-law was proud of his system that he acquired from an old theater. He has passed...I'm trying to set it up for my wife. Everything works but one speaker; Model 375...no sound. The serial NO. is #2974 if that helps.

hjames
01-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm hoping for info on repair. My father in-law was proud of his system that he acquired from an old theater. He has passed...I'm trying to set it up for my wife. Everything works but one speaker; Model 375...no sound. The serial NO. is #2974 if that helps.

Not knowing your technical background, excuse me if I get too basic ...

Model 375 is a compression driver with a horn - there is a diaphram (flat metal disc that vibrates to create the sound) inside the "can" part of the base ... they can fail after many years service. It could be something else.

Best rule of troubleshooting - if its a stereo system, you have a 375 for the left and a 375 for the right.
Use masking tape to make tabs and labels for the wires Left + and Left -
(or red and black - whatever works for you so you don't mix the wires of each pair up)

Swap the 375s and see if the problem moves.

If the no-sound problem moves with the 375 - there is something wrong with it. If the problem does not move - it may be a problem in the crossover network or related wiring.

let us know what you find out with this test and we can give more info ...

Basics101
01-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for quick reply!!
I have switch speakers and wires with no luck. I have little experience with this kind of stuff. I was hoping to find someone who can fix this type speaker.

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 09:54 AM
are you near denver?

Basics101
01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
No. Southern CO. Alamosa area! San Luis Valley.

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Audio Analysts USA Inc.
3286 North El Paso
Colorado Springs 80907
(719) 632-8855 X

Transducers, Electronics, EON, LSR,& 6208, JRX, MPro
& SoundFactor, DrivePack, JBL Dealer

maybe a good start?

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
by "no luck" do you mean that the same speaker did not produce sound when moved to the other cabinet?

did the other (working) speaker make sound when placed in the other cabinet?

Basics101
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes to both questions. I guess that means I'm in trouble. Is this system worth messing with?

hjames
01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes to both questions. I guess that means I'm in trouble. Is this system worth messing with?

I would expect it has good potential - if you want to have a real professional sound system at home, robust and rugged and with some history to it, I'd say yes, look into fixing it up.

Heck - we are all audio buffs here so we'd say "sure - mess with it - get it fixed!" ...

But an honest answer is to decide how much money you want to invest in such a system. The hardest part of the purchase is done - you already have all the parts!
Now its just a quest to get that dead horn working again ... say, a few hundred dollars ...

Again - this is a totally off the top of my head "estimate" but if its a bad/dead diaphram, you need someone to buy and install a new diaphram ...
its probably not a $50 repair ...

Basics101
01-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I'll give the guys in Colorado Springs a call. You people are great. I've spent days getting know where, and now in a few minutes I have hope getting this system up!!

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
It was good that you did that swapping, probably the diaphragm is bad or something....

give the guys in the springs a call, maybe they can do it at your home for an added fee...

If not, I suggest bringing the working and nonworking (375) speakers in at the same time and have them both looked at. If it is indeed a bad diaphragm in the one that is not working, some (most around here, it seems) advocate having both replaced at the same time for balance....

you could sell the diaphragm of the working unit to help defray the costs...

here is a quick thread on replacing diaphragms in your drivers...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4181

Experts,
are the currently available 375 diaphragms the same as they were originally? this I do not know, but I suspect the exact original ones may not be available (but there should be "drop in" replacements available if that is the case)

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
JBL consumer model 375 = JBL PRO model 2440 if I am not mistaken...

very desirable drivers, by the way....

If you decide you do not want to keep them...
please contact me.... ;)

I live in Littleton, CO....