PDA

View Full Version : What makes the 044ti so great?

kingjames
01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Please indulge me here, why is the 044ti in such demand? Simple English will suffice.Thanks!:blink:

Storm
01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Basic economics - supply & demand.

:p

-Storm.

kingjames
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
I realize their is no supply but why the demand?

Nightbrace
01-29-2007, 02:39 AM

Could it be that people equate these tweeters as being a part of a $2500 speaker system like the 250Ti... And people think that they can buy these tweeters for appreciably less and have something that will sound nearly as good?? Of course I guess all of these people could be just blowing their tweeters on their 250Ti's I guess, but aren't they still servicable?? Most people would rather not deal with this and think that a "new" set will solve the problem, when in fact the problem with the 044Ti comes up not with overuse, but with deterioration over time and who's to say the ones they are buying are any better??

I know this is unrelated, but may help explain. I didn't believe it when I saw it, but there's a friend of mine who bought 077 tweeters and put them in Klipsch speakers claiming them to be L300 "clones", I kid you not... Could the reason why the 044Ti sells for over $300 be the same reason why 077 tweeters sell for $300+ too?

briang
01-29-2007, 07:57 AM

I can answer for myself only.

I bid on these (and never seem to win) to ensure longevity of service for my current JBLs. My 120Tis and 18Tis are no longer supported by JBL replacement parts. My only resort is hoarding a pile of spares (Like I have done for my multiple sets of L96s and two pairs of L112s). Thus, I am participating in the demand side of the equation.

If JBL made a run of D8R044Ti diaphrams, I'd buy 6 or 8 of them just to have them around. Same is true of the 104H. The lack of support has trickled down to the 128H-1 too, I have two units waiting for C8R128H-1; which are now in back order with no ETA for availability.

At this rate (sigh) I might have to replace everything with current loudspeakers...(perish the thought)...that will soon be obsolete just like my vintage stuff...that Revel stuff sounds nice...