PDA

View Full Version : yamaha preamp question

bone215
01-28-2007, 02:57 PM
First off, I don't know if I am allowed to ask non Lansing tech questions, if so, I apologize in advance.
I was wondering if any one has any experience with Yamaha C-4 preamp?

Mr. Widget
01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
That's a fine question and you posed it in the right area... I have used other Yamaha electronics, but can't help you here... I don't know anything about the C-4.

Are you considering the purchase of one?

Widget

grumpy
01-29-2007, 08:19 AM
If you like Yamaha, you might compare to C-85 while you're looking... -grumpy

duaneage
01-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a C-65 and I'm happy with it after 20 years. The old Yamaha was well made and had thoughtful designs. I like the variable loudness control and dual phono inputs.

jblnut
01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Excellent bang for the buck - can't go wrong with an old Yamaha pre. The C-4 has a ton of connectivity options going way beyond most pre's (3 switchable turtable inputs with front-panel cartridge loading adjustment for example, and that's just the beginning).

The "less is more" pre crowd would probably shun it, but it will likely not be the weak link in any system until you spend serious cash on everything else.

But don't take my word for it - buy the one on the bay now and tell us how you like it :) . You can always sell it later and try something else....

jblnut

Rolf
02-01-2007, 12:57 AM
The C4 was fairly good in it's time, but today you can get a lot better stuff.

jblnut
02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
The C4 was fairly good in it's time, but today you can get a lot better stuff.

For $150-$250 (the current price of a decent used Yamaha pre) ? I don't think so....

jblnut

Rolf
02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
For $150-$250 (the current price of a decent used Yamaha pre) ? I don't think so....

jblnut

No, but I thought we talked about what is good today. Sorry.

majick47
02-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll agree with JBLNUT re the older Yamaha preamps, hard to go wrong for the money. A C80 preamp just sold on Ebay for around $75 plus shipping. The C70 and C85 are an excellent choice also. The early C2A and C2X were big bucks in their day and still command up to $500. I have a CX-800U in my second system and it sounds/functions excellent. You would have to spend a considerable amount more for something new to better most of the older "natural sound" Yamaha preamps which have a slightly warm to neutral sound signiture with no background noise. Most will have more than adequate inputs/outputs and MM/MC phono with numerous values. Build quality is substantial and they are no lightweights. My CX-800U can bypass the tone controls and I go direct for phono, cd etc. You can better the C4 by choosing any of the preamps I mentioned without spending anything near to a new current preamp.

Nightbrace
02-03-2007, 05:39 AM
First off, I don't know if I am allowed to ask non Lansing tech questions, if so, I apologize in advance.
I was wondering if any one has any experience with Yamaha C-4 preamp?

Your in the right place :)/ Yamaha made one fine pre-amp in the 70's and the C-4 should be no different. Are you wanting to buy one, or do you already own one? Keep us informed, we'd love to see some pictures!