PDA

View Full Version : JBL-L200b or Altec model 15?

spaaaz
01-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Or both? new to the altec jbl stuff so any opinions on both of these would be cool.cant find much on the 15s at all.friend has both of these that he is willing to part with.

SUPERBEE
01-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I like the L-200's when paired with really good Solid State gear.

Or both? new to the altec jbl stuff so any opinions on both of these would be cool.cant find much on the 15s at all.friend has both of these that he is willing to part with.

Tom Brennan
01-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I think both are good speakers. Nobody can tell you which is better, listen to them and buy what you like best.

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
They are both very good.. I'd go with the Altec 15's if money is an issue, as they can be had pretty cheaply...

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Spaaaz, Where from in IL??

spaaaz
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I am near Chicago,I will probably end up with both pairs,just looking for more pics and info on the 15s

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I thought you might have been a friend of mine who owns both the Altec 15 and L200B/ I think he is wanting to sell both of them... I can get you in contact with him if you want. He lives in Orland Park, IL.

Welcome to the forums!

oznob
01-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I would certainly go with the L200b. None of the mid-range blare of the Altec, especially with SS gear. Tubes tend to tame the horn on the Altecs but you can lose some low end punch. With the addition of an 077 tweeter and the proper crossover, the L200b can be the near equal of the L300 Summit without the $3K price tag, IMHO.

spaaaz
01-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks nightbrace but I think its the same guy,named Terry? I told him I wanted the 200b's for sure just trying to decide if I should pick up the 15's as well.I have purchased and traded a few items with him in the past.great guy!!

Storm
01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Of course, I would say - get the ALTECS.

What is he asking for the 15s?

I would buy them both - try them out and sell either one on the bay.

Good luck.

-Storm.

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks nightbrace but I think its the same guy,named Terry? I told him I wanted the 200b's for sure just trying to decide if I should pick up the 15's as well.I have purchased and traded a few items with him in the past.great guy!!

Yeah its Terry, how do you know him? I had a feeling you were talking about his speakers as I remember him having these. He's a real good guy. Which makes me wonder why he thinks I am too :p. I have seen the L200B's in person, they are nice, the Altecs need new grills, but look nice without them... I think he wants $500 for the Altecs.. Mention my name, its Scott, he knows me well.. Tell him I said "hi"...

I might be up there next weekend for a visit. I too am considering the Altecs for myself, so you better hurry and get them as if you don't buy them I might.. He also has a set of Altec 19's I am considering as well... They need a new woofer and some crossovers, but according to him are in decent shape..

Terry is a nice enough guy that he might let you listen to them both before deciding... As I said though, for the money those Altecs would be a better buy... The L300's that oznob mentioned would blow both of these out of the water. And won't have ANY of the rolloff issues.. They will go higher than what your hearing will allow.

To convert the L200B's to L300's you will need to spend around $500..., but the L200B is a great speaker in its own right and I always hate seeing people dismantle original speakers. It wouldn't be too much for the original L300's and you can find 4333's for a little cheaper than $3k. Being the proud owner of a set of L200B's I can attest that they will be a little more neutral than the Altec 15's with SS gear.

And as far as rolloff issues in the higher frequencies, the L200B's roll off fairly early too. I can't say for certain which one rolls off earlier, but I'd imagine it would be similiar. The Altecs will be a little more detailed in the midrange for sure, and honestly, contrary to what many people here believe, will make very pleasing yet powerful bass.

I have still yet to hear a JBL speaker that will rival my Altec 19's in the bass department.. I'd imagine the Altec 15's to be similiar, but in a direct comparison with the L200B's they may not be quite as good, but I cannot imagine you would be disappointed, with either of them for that matter...

If you can afford the L200B's, why not fork over another $500 and get the Altec's too? They both do things well and I am fully confident you will not be disappointed. Should you not want the Altecs, I'll take them off your hands, good luck, and let us know how things work out..

What amp are you planning on using?

spaaaz
01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Well at the moment I am planning on using my Sumo Andromeda for the 200b's and if I pop for the 15s they will be used in a HT setup with the new Sony 3200es receiver. I met terry when I was selling my Cornwall Decorators and we worked out a trade for some monster receivers,been to his place a couple of times and I remember the 19s and as I recall they were pretty sharp looking.will keep you posted on my decision.

majick47
01-29-2007, 03:48 PM
If you have the room you won't be disappointed with the L200b. I converted my L200b to three ways with 2405 tweeters and 3106 crossovers. As the popularity/prices of the 4343, 4333, L300, 250ti etc has skyrocketed the L200b is an affordable alternative. Both the L200 and L200b are a couple of sleepers that have been underappreciated until recently.

Nightbrace
01-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Well at the moment I am planning on using my Sumo Andromeda for the 200b's and if I pop for the 15s they will be used in a HT setup with the new Sony 3200es receiver. I met terry when I was selling my Cornwall Decorators and we worked out a trade for some monster receivers,been to his place a couple of times and I remember the 19s and as I recall they were pretty sharp looking.will keep you posted on my decision.

Like I said if you can afford the L200B's, for another $500, you'll have something uniquely different and very enjoyable in the Altec 15's.. And contrary to what many will tell you. Those Altec's are GREAT home theater speakers. And yes those L200B's will be fantastic as well, just more suited for music. I own a pair myself, but want a little more than he does for his.. He has another pair of Altec 19's that I'm seriously considering. I know they need work, but thats why I like Terry, he's honest about what he has, and you can view his stuff in person before buying... Let us know how things work out... And be sure to mention my name, Thanks,,

spaaaz
01-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Will do nightbrace,hope to get over there soon.

SMKSoundPro
02-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I just picked up a pair of L200b's and am installing 2405 slots and 3106 xovers right now! I really enjoy them! I have a poor man's L300 made out of EN8 enclosures that we put together in 1982, and use them for partys and wedding receptions. But, never get to really listen to them and enjoy them. Strictly a working speaker.

I also have a pair of Altec 846a Valencias in my shop that I am refinishing for a guy. I heard them. No big woop. (Sorry Storm!http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif) Nice box. I just prefer the L200b's more!!!

What's on Now: Steeley Dan-"Two against Nature" album

Scott.

Nightbrace
02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I would certainly go with the L200b. None of the mid-range blare of the Altec, especially with SS gear. Tubes tend to tame the horn on the Altecs but you can lose some low end punch. With the addition of an 077 tweeter and the proper crossover, the L200b can be the near equal of the L300 Summit without the $3K price tag, IMHO.

Never had these problems with my Altec's with 7591 output tubes, the bass is great..