PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 70's Rec./Amp/Int./Tuner/Pre

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Without considering speakers, cassette decks, turntables etc. and only the gear listed in the title.

I hope I listed the 10 best companies, or at least the 10 most widely known in the 70's in the poll.

Other lesser known companies that were really good IMO were Allied, Lafayette, Tandberg, Concept, Harmon Kardon.... but not poular enough to make it into the "Top 10".

There were a myriad of other companies and I'm sure I missed a few, but no others come to mind currently that I can really consider "hi-fi", Even Kenwood for the most part was "mid-fi" gear.

If anyone else has anymore they'd like to add, I'm always willing to learn about new companies that I've never heard of.

Thanks for voting!

Don C
01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Boycott stupid polls.

Mr. Widget
01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Don, that's so activist of you! :D

Widget

hjames
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Boycott stupid polls.

Woah!

Okay -= re-edit to stay on topic ...

When I bought my L-36s back in '76 I got a Phillips 212 and a Yamaha CR400 - 22 glorious watts a channel.
Not a lot of power but those first generation Yamaha Receivers were REAL clean!
I was REAL low budget in those days - thank goodness those JBLs are REAL efficient!

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Boycott stupid polls.

You following me around trying to get people to turn against me?

oznob
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Boycott stupid polls.

With advance apologies to Mr. Widget, KUDOS DON!

:thmbsup:

Nightbrace
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Is that all you people care about is finding a way to rub even more salt into the wounds?

If you have a problem with this poll, or have objections to any of the companies, you need not vote. I know this is hardly a definitive list, I merely listed the 10 companies that I felt were the most popular and recognizable back in the time period.. And I know that its slighted by my own preferences which to everyone on these boards is obviously completely wrong when it comes to whats acutally good audio gear..

If you really ALL wish for me to have this poll removed, I'll respectfully ask the moderators to remove it..

Again, I apologize, I AM SORRY!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!

Don C
01-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I just don't think that we need any equipment popularity contests here. What a waste bandwidth. It's only my opinion though.

SEAWOLF97
01-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I just don't think that we need any equipment popularity contests here. What a waste bandwidth.

that shud be selection 11 in the poll.

Titanium Dome
01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, let's see, out of nine posts, one is on topic and eight are various off topic editorials. We can add this post to the latter, and we get 90% off topic posts so far in this thread.

I'm no mathematician, but who's really wasting the bandwidth here? It appears it is not the original post.

Maybe I can cut that to 85% by noting that I chose Kenwood. My very first receiver was the Kenwood KR-6160, which I purchased together with a Dual 1219 and JBL L100 Centuries. What a great combo!

I fried the output transistors (twice over the years) and replaced it with a Kenwood KA-6100 integrated amp with dual DC power supplies.

jim campbell
01-28-2007, 09:10 PM
if it were listed i would say dc 300a but its not so mac is my choice

HipoFutura
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Phase Linear - of course. All other brands at that time were for plebs!

During the late 70's a friend had Phase Linear grear driving VOTTs in his appartment. These were the big VOTTs with the horns on top. This guy had a serious inferiority complex. You can imagine the parties. Glad I wasn't his neighbor! Don

Nightbrace
01-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Well, let's see, out of nine posts, one is on topic and eight are various off topic editorials. We can add this post to the latter, and we get 90% off topic posts so far in this thread.

I'm no mathematician, but who's really wasting the bandwidth here? It appears it is not the original post.

Maybe I can cut that to 85% by noting that I chose Kenwood. My very first receiver was the Kenwood KR-6160, which I purchased together with a Dual 1219 and JBL L100 Centuries. What a great combo!

I fried the output transistors (twice over the years) and replaced it with a Kenwood KA-6100 integrated amp with dual DC power supplies.

Thank you TI,, Thats nice to hear... Happy I added Kenwood to the list, as many considered their gear to be "mid-fi"... Sounds like you had a great system :).

Nightbrace
01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
I just don't think that we need any equipment popularity contests here. What a waste bandwidth. It's only my opinion though.

Not having the pleasure to be alive in the 70's "hi-fi" heyday, I was curious to know what you guys really think of some of this stuff. And never meant this poll to be a popularity contest of any kind. I was merely curious to know what you guys were into and thought it would be neat to hear from those who were around when this stuff was popular, and figured that some of you would like to reminisce about the good old days when it was cool to own L100's and a Pioneer receiver. Now IPODs and mini-systems are all the rage and it makes me wonder what things were like back them.. I know my dad can go on for days about his Gyro-tuning Marantz...

We could be talking about worse things now couldn't we?

BMWCCA
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
It's too damn hard to be so specific WRT brands and still get any meaningful information. In the '70s I was using JBL 030s in C37 boxes powered by a Kenwood receiver and a Thorens turntable. When one of the 075s blew, it was repaired by JBL at no cost and with no problem, though they did suggest I look for some "high-frequency oscillation problem" with my amp. So I chucked the Kenwood, bought a used McIntosh C20 ($125) and Fisher SA-1000 amp ($90). I used the Fisher until the tubes became unavailable. The Mac kept getting annual overhauls at the Mac clinics. I bought my first Crown D150 in 1974, trading the Fisher. So the only choices I really have on your poll are the Kenwood which killed my 075, or the Mac which I still own but it's really a '60s unit, not '70s. Why not Crown? I was 21 when I bought it but I'd lusted after one for years. But to me, back then and now, the Crowns made the Macs run and hide. I even have the "proof of performance" from the Mac Clinic on my Crown D150. They praised it highly and it exceeded all claims of performance from Crown. The Mac techs were very interested in discussing my Crown...while they overhauled the C-20....for the third time!

My vote?: Crown and Soundcraftsmen. Still own 'em both. Bought them in the '70s and they're still playing today.
(Still have my Sherwood tuner, too, but I'm not voting for that, either)

PS: my best friend in high-school ('71 graduate) used new L100's and a JBL integrated amp. Are they missing because you think we're too biased? Just looking for non-JBL input? What? (They couldn't hold a candle to the 030/Mac/Fisher combination though.)

SEAWOLF97
01-29-2007, 10:26 AM
The problem in voting in this type of poll for a brand name is that quality is not equal across all the products of a brand

ie: Sony's ES elite line is quite good , their consumer China products are crap.

JBL USA is fine....JBL China , Mexico etc...?

Marantz was fine..until Superscope diluted the name

LUX was nice until Alpine gutted it.

Old Pioneer speakers were well build , the ones from 1982 on up are generally crap

Altec was ..... and now it is Korean Spark-o-matic.

To rate a brand , you need to know the sub product line , year of production ...etc.

louped garouv
01-29-2007, 01:22 PM
I have a Flame Linear 200 Series II that I adore.... all jokes aside...

but the crown DC series amps and some mid 80s Crest Audios are what are in my rack currently...

johnaec
01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
...some mid 80s Crest Audios are what are in my rack currently...I've got a bunch of Crest amps. My favorites are the CA series. 'Have a CA-9 and just purchased a CA-4, with about 5 or 6 other misc. Crest here.

John

Titanium Dome
01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Does it look like this?

Nightbrace
01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
The problem in voting in this type of poll for a brand name is that quality is not equal across all the products of a brand

ie: Sony's ES elite line is quite good , their consumer China products are crap.

JBL USA is fine....JBL China , Mexico etc...?

Marantz was fine..until Superscope diluted the name

LUX was nice until Alpine gutted it.

Old Pioneer speakers were well build , the ones from 1982 on up are generally crap

Altec was ..... and now it is Korean Spark-o-matic.

To rate a brand , you need to know the sub product line , year of production ...etc.

I thought you promised not to follow me around and mock every post??
But you are right, this poll is not only moronic and pointless, but it is a complete waste of space and a complete waste of time for everyone who has took the time to consider it.. . For that I am sorry. MODERATORS<< please use your discretion and remove this poll if necessary..

I thought I was specific enough in the general criteria.. And this was meant to be a "in general" poll. Not anything too specific. I never said BEST of all time, just in the 70's and I apologize to no end for not including some of the companies that I probably should have, but there was only room for 10. And I do not have any right to narrow such a list down to the 10 which I condsidered to be the most recognizable and popular. From what you all have told me, not only am I completely wrong as to the companies I posted on this poll, but I have no right to even listen to any of this stuff being someone who wasn't around when it was popular as it only has value as collectibles and for nostalgia puposes not for real home use anymore and I KNOW that I am wasting my time. But I will say in my defense that I enjoy and appreciate some of the older gear more than the new stuff thats out there.

I did say to only consider tuners/preamps/int. amps/amps.. but I guess this doesn't make it any better or any easier and its still no excuse for such a meaningless and wasteful poll..

In my defense, as I said earlier, this is hardly a definitive list. And I think the general concensus is that in the early 1980's the build quality of the gear from all these companies, for the most part, with the exception of McIntosh, went to crap. Most companies did something well, like Sansui/Rotel with their tuners, or Phase Linear with their preamps.. But to make a poll like this would be nearly impossible as there are indeed too many variables and too many specifics in order to have something truly objective. But since when is a poll 100% without error? Even Florida couldn't figure out how to vote for the president.

I was intending this poll to be a general poll to spark interest and discussion, not to become a WAR on whats the best stuff out there. Most of these companies are long gone and forgotten in the hi-end audio world and thought it would be nice to talk about them.. Seems as if I have been wasting my time fooling around with this old gear that I have no right to be interested in as I wasn't even alive when this stuff was built and have no right to comment on any of it or to take up useless space just for my own curiosity... Again, I am sorry... There's nothing more I can say that will make it any better... :banghead: And again, moderators, do what you have to. It would probably be best to remove this poll...

boputnam
01-30-2007, 06:23 AM
I thought you promised not to follow me around and mock every post??
But you are right, this poll is not only moronic and pointless, but it is a complete waste of space and a complete waste of time for everyone who has took the time to consider it.. . For that I am sorry.

...moderators, do what you have to. It would probably be best to remove this poll...OK

I tried to warn you...

You must make (the poll) useful, and interesting...

:dont-know