PDA

View Full Version : 893 coronas

mikeaz
01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Hello All,

New to Altec speakers. I have heard a great deal about them and, as a matter of fact, never had the thought of buying any until today because they seemed quite expensive. I was at a garage sale in my neighborhood and saw a pair of old speakers. I noticed the Altec logo on the bottom. The cabinets need restaining, but over all condition was good. I asked the seller how much for the speakers and he said $10 for the pair. The tweeters and woofers are in great condition along with the cloth grill. One emblem is missing. These are 893B Coronas.
Was this a good deal? I haven't hooked them up to my system yet.

Do you think these will sound better than the Cerwin Vega DX5s I am currently running?

Mike in Arizona

Storm
01-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Mike -

Fellow Arizona resident here.

What part of town did you find those?

I will take them off your hands for $20.00 bucks.

If you want to listen to a pair of Altec Valencias, come on over!

;)

Let's chat some more.

What speakers do you currently have?

And yes, they will beat your Cerwins!

-Storm.

mikeaz
01-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Hello Storm!

I live in Glendale and found them right around the corner from my house. I hooked up the Altecs last night and they sound pretty good. Do you know what year these were made?

Inside the house I run Infinity bookshelf speakers off of a Kenwood tuner and amp. That's the way the wife wants it.

Inside my little workshop( that's where the wife has me put all of good stuff) I am running the Cerwin Vega DX5s off of a Harmon Kardon 75+ twin power. I am actually going to have to take my receiver in for repairs since the right channel went out. I am hoping its something simple. I also have a vintage Panasonic receiver pushing little KLH speakers out there.

I started acquiring stereo equipment and records about 2 months ago and am loving the persuit of finding the ultimate receiver and speakers.

I usually drive out to Sun City on Saturday and hit the local thrift shops for the records and see what stereo equipment was donated. I have picked up everything from 1908 Victrola records in perfect condition to a limited edition Glenn Miller record set, complete and perfect. Not bad because I am only paying .25 per record. I now have over 400 records in 78,45, and 33s.

I would love to hear the Valencias. I am quite curious about this brand of speaker and see why they resell for so much. And maybe you know a local electronics repairman that is capable of repairing my receiver. I haven't really looked for one yet, but I am apprehensive as to what I will find out there.

PM me regarding the hearing of Valencias!
Mike